Midland in London (or is it Birmingham?)

Tricky

• RMweb Gold

Just tremendous Richard.

Real tour de force and not a bicycle clip in sight!!!

Rob

Sorry for the hi-jack, Tricky.

Further to my last, I rather hanker after a similar layout but in 4mm, based in or around Bristol, pre-grouping, preferably pre WW1.

I have come across a few photos whilst digging about ( too haphazard to be refered to as 'research'...!)

'Somewhere in Bristol'

Rob.

As Monk's Gate is too big for the cameo comp, my thoughts are slowly turning to maybe a smaller railway to have another go at entering. Midland Record No 30 has some very atmospheric modelogenic photos of the Midland in Bristol. Rob, would you mind if I maybe pinched your idea?!

• RMweb Gold

As Monk's Gate is too big for the cameo comp, my thoughts are slowly turning to maybe a smaller railway to have another go at entering. Midland Record No 30 has some very atmospheric modelogenic photos of the Midland in Bristol. Rob, would you mind if I maybe pinched your idea?!

Not at all, Richard.

It would be lovely to see you do this. I have enough on my plate in any event!!!

I have the Midland Records up to 23. I must finish the set off by getting the missing volumes.

I shall look forward to the new layout.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Tricky, would there be any chance you could possibly outline some operating practices you engage in with your magnificent layout?

I still can't get over it, every time I read this thread it's just a delight to see your skills. Curiously enough, for me, it's not just about the realism, it's about what you've achieved with your model, the trains, the design, the architecture, the control panelling, and everything you have made through your own creativity.

I was about to start a thread asking for operational ideas and design for a "shelf" layout in standard gauge with sector plates I'm building but I see this and some similar layouts so I get all depressed and I don't post things anymore.

I'll just look at yours instead  :no:

• RMweb Gold

Tricky, would there be any chance you could possibly outline some operating practices you engage in with your magnificent layout?

I still can't get over it, every time I read this thread it's just a delight to see your skills. Curiously enough, for me, it's not just about the realism, it's about what you've achieved with your model, the trains, the design, the architecture, the control panelling, and everything you have made through your own creativity.

I was about to start a thread asking for operational ideas and design for a "shelf" layout in standard gauge with sector plates I'm building but I see this and some similar layouts so I get all depressed and I don't post things anymore.

I'll just look at yours instead :no:

Muir, Richards layout is truly exceptional and has inspired many, myself included ( and will continue to so so in the future). What I would say is this. Let it spur you on and try new things but not at the expense of not posting progress( or otherwise!)on your own project.

Regular posting will attract comment and advice whee it's needed.

My latest has seen quite a few c@ck ups and disasters along the way, many more than my previous venture. As a suggestion why not have a bash at the 'cake box' challenge. Use the 8in x8 in constraints to build a small scene to try out a few things.

Have a go.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

Hi Muir, and thanks for your kind comments. I would, however, definitely echo Rob's post and get posting yourself! Plenty of helpful guys on here to help. I don't know why I didn't start posting earlier- I think I mistakenly thought no-one would be interested. As far as operational stuff goes, to be honest I didn't actually give it a lot of thought! I was just pleased to be able to build something at long last after 30 years of no space and no money. At least I've got the space now...! I would be content to just park my rolling stock and sit back and admire!! However, they are meant to run and so I have at least devised the attached sequence which is a bit complicated but works. No doubt in the future I may be able to devise other sequences but of course the possibilities are limited.

post-31608-0-89357300-1507464966_thumb.png

I think of modelling as a journey, I came back to the hobby around 1995 but a young family and demanding career have always meant time and money are short. I look at photos of the models I built back then (and some since) yes they make me cringe but they also make me realise how far I've come, I was proud of them at the time. Threads such as this provide great inspiration and a way of learning, if stuck with something you can usually find a solution on this site. Most people on this site don't mind if you ask questions and the collective knowledge can be quite mind blowing.

Never be afraid to post as people will be encouraging and always ask questions, you will get help.

Martyn

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice to see Ned has found fame at last in the latest MRJ.

Yes, he's rather pleased with himself but he's taking it in his stride, so to speak.

He is, however, in danger of getting ideas above his station with a 'cameo' appearance in Bristol. He'll be asking for a kick-back next.

(I make that four puns. I'm clearly very bored at work...!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Are you still working on this, or is it deemed complete and your focusing on the Bristol end of things?

So much inspiration every time I look at this!

Rich

Hi Richard,

Are you still working on this, or is it deemed complete and your focusing on the Bristol end of things?

So much inspiration every time I look at this!

Rich

Hi Rich,

No, not working on it at the moment as all my spare time is spent on Bristol. They are both set up in the same part of the 'Train Shed'; London is permanently set up and Bristol shoe-horned in next to it on temporary trestles. So I end up nicking bits off it for Bristol (such as poor Ned!). Another year or so on Bristol and then back onto it - or I may start again...!!

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

With so much stunning modelling, how can you start again!!!  Your Midland in London and Bristol layouts have both provided so much inspiration, it looks like im getting a new shed for modelling in (the 7mm railway variety that is) early this summer, your giving me food for thought on a complete change to what my previous intentions have always been - making me think about going down the 1930s road!  This is going to be expensive!

Can you stop modelling so good! :) hehe

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

7mm was never going to be cheap...however, if you move a further 7 years back you're getting into my pre-group territory!

Only joking (I think) about starting again. You know what it's like though, something you did a couple of yeas ago looks a bit jaded compared with how you might make it now. But London is nowhere near complete so lots still to get my teeth into once the Cameo Comp is over.

Regards,

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

7mm was never going to be cheap...however, if you move a further 7 years back you're getting into my pre-group territory!

Only joking (I think) about starting again. You know what it's like though, something you did a couple of yeas ago looks a bit jaded compared with how you might make it now. But London is nowhere near complete so lots still to get my teeth into once the Cameo Comp is over.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Oh tell me about it!  I've been based around modern image for the past 12 years of 7mm modelling - and its definitely never cheap!  But 7mm has such a presence that isn't there is the smaller scales, and as you've proved with both layouts, the level of detail that can be provided is stunning.  Keep going - I'm watching closely :)

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

A tantalising shot of 1761 at rest hiding behind the yard wall.

post-31608-0-80277200-1544544373_thumb.jpeg

I hope to be in a position come the New Year to do a bit more work on Monk’s Gate at long last. It has become very neglected and various bit and bobs have been robbed off it for Bristol. I hoovered it over today and was quite alarmed at how much dust I had allowed to settle on it!

• Like 13

• 3 months later...

Remember these chaps? They may not look much different to their last appearance in here, but they’ve had major surgery to their undercarriage. All axleboxes and W irons have been replaced and rebuilt with Slaters sprung ones. The difference in ride quality especially through point work is quite significant and worth the trouble. I can’t imagine building a wagon now without springs. So much better than compensation IMHO. A6467176-A091-44EC-8FCE-ACC1FBF7292F.jpeg.1f1a0d6bd5e8064bef3886ca836fd0d7.jpeg

Although ultimately destined for Monk’s Gate they will probably make an (unlikely) appearance on Bristol in an effort to bulk out my tiny wagon fleet! 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

Plans are afoot to recommence work on this very soon.

It has always bothered me that I got a bit too far with some Birmingham-looking structures before deciding I really wanted to place it in London. So....

...I might take the plunge and replace some of the stone structures with London brick ones, and at the same time replace the skimpy backscene with something more meaningful.

Pics of the overall state of play as it stands at the moment to follow in a few days once I've finished my 'Bristol' to do list and tidied 'London' up a bit!

Meanwhile, based on what you might remember of the progress to date, do you think I'm nuts (!) and/or offer opinions/advice (on London that is)...?!

• RMweb Premium

I think it would be a shame to get so far on a project of this standard and not see it through to the end.

Having said that, the only person who it has to really satisfy is you and sometimes, if something doesn't "feel" right, no amount of tinkering will correct that and it is better to walk away and get stuck in to a new project that brings back a renewed enthusiasm, rather than plod on with something that you are not enjoying so much.

None of us out here can really give the answer as we all see it from our own perspective.

If it was me in that situation, I would probably carry on with the present project while planning the next one. I would think it is well worth finishing, either as it is now or with buildings etc. altered.

Both your projects have inspired me to have a go at a small (ish!) 7mm layout. So whether it gets finished or not, it has had an impact on at least one other modeller!

Even a small 7mm layout seems big when you are used to 4mm projects!

Thanks t-b-g. One of the main governing factors here which I may have omitted to mention, is that this layout is meant to be my one and only. I don't have that much space and certainly not enough for two long-term (hence selling Bristol). I also think it may be a while before I attempt another Bristol, if ever! So I do want to see this through to the end (whatever and whenever that will be) but it needs to scratch my itch. Part of my itch is being drawn towards docks (who'd have guessed eh...?) and if I can relocate it to London then Poplar is a major influence. It was also started about 3 or 4 years ago and a lot of things have moved on for me since then. Until I really get stuck into it again I don't really know how much will actually get re-made but I'm not thinking about changing the track-work and basic structure, just the buildings and associated gubbins.

I was showing a non-railway modeller friend of mine around Bristol and Monk’s Gate (MG for short) over the weekend. Inevitably I suppose he began comparing the completed Bristol with the incomplete MG. The comparison discussion concluded that the Cameo-format framing of Bristol sets the scene beautifully, but that MG is lacking in this department; furthermore, ground level variations, view blockers and just the amount of detail incorporated into Bristol means that MG looks very lineal - albeit unfinished. But it’s lineal nature will always be hard to disguise. 

I began explaining my conundrum to my friend about wanting the Birmingham location to look more like London and to this end to also explain I might have to demolish and rebuild some stone structures especially at the left hand end and replace them with something more London- looking. At this, he became somewhat alarmed and then after a moment’s thought came up with an absolute blinder of an idea...

Why not visually chop MG in half? One half (the left) could be set in Birmingham and the other (right) be set in London (eg Poplar inspired)? Absolute Genius! 

This solves so many problems in one go. The visual chopping would be achieved with a footbridge to the right of the culvert, plus other view blockers if required, and maybe even stretching the scheme to framing each half in a Cameo-like way, with their own wings and proscenium arches, thus reinforcing the one chopped into two idea. 

Obviously trains moving from one half to the other would cover about 120 actual miles in the space of about 3” but I’m happy to overlook this minor detail and maintain the illusion! MG was never intended to be an operational railway as such anyway - it was always meant to be - and always will be, a test bed/come photography stage set. In addition to chopping in half (so to speak) I will be taking out the existing backscene and completely renewing it for one where the top edge isn’t visible as well as raising the whole railway by about 6”. 

I shan’t need to change the track work and there will probably be minimal changes to the left hand Birmingham end. I’m still cogitating over ways of making the right hand end look more London-like, as well as maybe trying to incorporate some dock-side water like Poplar. 

Sorry about the novel, if you’ve stuck with it this far, we’ll done! I’m so looking forward to getting on with this. I love it when a plan comes together! 27F1E6FA-A4A9-48EF-8A8B-D9ECFDA231DE.jpeg.a4fe63b2912de5da31d40ad475924169.jpegAB4A6D3C-C34F-44DC-918F-AF437C4EE928.jpeg.41a070a65e9ec86cdbf5a2dd090e9a3e.jpeg203AA38A-F199-4B03-974D-ED3F19F29515.jpeg.31ded6f0f852e103a0a4c09aa6a3cbef.jpeg

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1