Midland in London (or is it Birmingham?)

Tricky

• RMweb Premium

I like the idea. It probably needed a non modeller to think of it as we (sweeping generalisation here!) tend to be a bit set in our ways and not really open to radical and imaginative thinking like that. I have an involvement with a layout where the main line passes through a Settle and Carlisle station and arrives in a terminus based on Bolton. The idea is that a Black 5 on a train on the S&C and a Black 5 on a train in Bolton look just the same so the fact that the layout is literally all over the place geographically doesn't matter one jot. In the mind, it is a different train in a different place.

I can see that really working and adding an extra layer of "wow factor" on your project.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing you may wish to consider to make a visual break between the two parts is what I call a “view blocker”, basically just a screen mounted in front of the layout with tracks passing fairly close behind. In your case a small over-bridge placed behind should help. I have been making them A3 size, which should suit what you want, although I’m currently trying an A4 size one. There’s a bit about it with some pictures here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107190-washbourne/page/40/&tab=comments#comment-3507996

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh from Bristol’s weekend outing, I have given some more thought to dividing MG up into two (Birmingham and London) and how that might be achieved. Although Bristol is for sale, until such time as a buyer appears (or not- we shall see) I have devised a cunning plan to shoe-horn all three (Bristol, Birmingham and London) together. Here’s a photo of my sketch- hopefully fairly clear although it doesn’t show the full extent of the train shed walls. The top half is the current arrangement and the bottom half the proposed arrangement. The theory being that as I am a fan of the Cameo presentation, all three locations will have their own independent Cameo picture frame around them, three cameos in a row, but with continuous track between all three. Birmingham and London will be separated both by their cameo frames and also the stud wall between train shed and workshop. Interestingly I’ve checked and I have the height to bring Bristol and therefore the other two up to ‘exhibition’ height. At least it solves the problem of storage for Bristol, although I’m not at all sure how the track will actually be made to line up between Bristol and Birmingham. And before anyone says, I don’t mean Gloucester....!

808944CC-0A1C-4A8A-8CB9-3CE61045C985.jpeg.b184ec78b31f18fb5dfb1c593736ad1f.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tricky said:

I’m not at all sure how the track will actually be made to line up between Bristol and Birmingham.

Do they have to be aligned with the fronts exactly in the same place? As they are senate scenes, could you offset them, with a small, thin divider between them?

Yes, they will be very separate visually with cameo framing around each one.

I think I'll be using the spare 370mm shown at the very left hand end between Bristol and Birmingham to achieve track alignment between the two.

You're right they don't have to line up in the same plane but I think a major part in this looking harmonious and linked on purpose (rather than 3 layouts cut-and-shut together) will be to have a consistent visual line of cameo frames.

• Like 2

I’ve made a start - no turning back now! The railway has been unceremoniously removed from its moorings...

E2D0E9F2-6A09-4A67-9E64-85DB3A6F9677.jpeg.d6955abb229eef7f2a2c6606bee8b9a6.jpeg

...and dumped on the bench. Where I have removed the backscene boards. 

2B37545F-E2FB-4CD8-9D70-F1CA1F5A75DF.jpeg.f2c7cb7c1beb21c29217eed0d61ce24c.jpeg

Most of the buildings abutting the backscene have been removed with it. A bit drastic but demolition tends to be.... but it creates a nice clear space to think what will replace it. Next job, make the 2x3 framework higher, position Bristol over to the left hand end, chop a hole in the wall and put MG back. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

An update on this thread is called for: I have mentioned over on my Bristol thread that it has now been sold. I'm still working on moving this lot over as above, but instead of Bristol, the third cameo may be an engine shed scene, reminiscent of something up north with lots of lovely stone-work buildings. I'm using up the backs of a few old envelopes to come up with a sketch plan, which will hopefully follow in a few day's time....

Good idea but most engine sheds on the Midland were pretty big but something like Wirksworth or Southwold might fit. Have a look in Loco Sheds of the LMS (Midland Division). I think that's the Title.

Incidentally your modelling is superb.

Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony, the book you mention is on order! The representation of an engine shed will be a mere suggestion of one - in true cameo style it’s a (hopefully) convincing snapshot, giving the impression of much more going on off stage.  

4 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Have a look at Tewkesbury shed if you are not familiar with it. It could have been designed for a layout like yours!

Hmm. Will do Tony, thanks! I’ve got a scale 185’ to work with..!

• RMweb Premium

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiUzun7uvXiAhX6DmMBHcyxAk0QjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F656047870693012542%2F&psig=AOvVaw30ocmjkDzOLhP917As01UH&ust=1561030758542235

Gives an idea. The surroundings are ideal too, with the shed being crammed into a tiny space, surrounded by attractive (to those who like urban grot!) buildings.

3 hours ago, technohand said:

Good idea but most engine sheds on the Midland were pretty big but something like Wirksworth or Southwold might fit. Have a look in Loco Sheds of the LMS (Midland Division). I think that's the Title.

Incidentally your modelling is superb.

Regards

Tony

Southwold...?

48 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiUzun7uvXiAhX6DmMBHcyxAk0QjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F656047870693012542%2F&psig=AOvVaw30ocmjkDzOLhP917As01UH&ust=1561030758542235

Gives an idea. The surroundings are ideal too, with the shed being crammed into a tiny space, surrounded by attractive (to those who like urban grot!) buildings.

Tony - what a marvellous prototype! 10 minutes on the internet throws up quite a few extremely evocative photos of the old Tewkesbury Quay Branch, itself a branch of the Malvern to Tewkesbury Railway. Not only the photogenic engine shed with convenient scenic-break wall, but the cramped cobbled sidings running down to the old quay. Some of the maltings, flour mills and warehousing buildings are still there - all superb subjects.

I feel a new thread coming on - 'Midland in Tewkesbury'...?!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tricky said:

Tony - what a marvellous prototype! 10 minutes on the internet throws up quite a few extremely evocative photos of the old Tewkesbury Quay Branch, itself a branch of the Malvern to Tewkesbury Railway. Not only the photogenic engine shed with convenient scenic-break wall, but the cramped cobbled sidings running down to the old quay. Some of the maltings, flour mills and warehousing buildings are still there - all superb subjects.

I feel a new thread coming on - 'Midland in Tewkesbury'...?!

I thought you might like it.

It really is crying out to be modelled and I look forward to seeing where this leads.

Cheers

Tony

5 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I thought you might like it.

It really is crying out to be modelled and I look forward to seeing where this leads.

Cheers

Tony

Track plans are floating round my head as we speak...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, technohand said:

Hi Tricky had a bit of a senior moment with Southwold.

I meant Southwell on the Newark Mansfield Branch of the Midland.

Sorry about that.

Tony

That's ok! All is clear, especially with my new copy of 'LMS Engine Sheds' to hand!

• 2 months later...

What else to do on a sultry Bank Holiday afternoon but idly contemplate how I might extend the tracks from Birmingham to Tewkesbury - all in the space of an inch or so? Before I knew it I had a mallet and chisel out and this happened:

99A456F9-C88D-4C7E-B947-C29710A6B4C3.jpeg.00085493742f48ea82c9e81873a0eb65.jpeg

The buffer stops have gone, along with the lamppost. 

Then my chiselling continued to produce this:

36FCEEE5-6CE2-493A-8F8D-2E7C3843AF2F.jpeg.c2a7d5e260ef3c7c32fa0bb5169f8b86.jpeg

Now the carpenter’s workshop and end wall has gone.

And now this!2464A324-0559-4BF6-9B46-7456EA7D66F7.jpeg.ca650b77cc9b49eb41fd33507a97c48f.jpeg

All the mad chiselling is done, the wall and fencing to the left of the goods office has also gone and I now have a reasonably flat track bed. 

And as this all seemed a bit drastic, I thought I’d better do something constructive rather than just destructive and stuck a bit of track down. 

4242DA73-9080-4406-BD8E-E8B69E63D64F.jpeg.a71b6ecb71e0c1c6eea03df6196a01f3.jpeg

This last shot will hopefully show how it will all fit together with the tracks from the right-hand Birmingham flowing seamlessly into the left-hand Tewkesbury. Separated only by scenic breaks of the Cameo variety.  

0984F1B7-BBF9-4B08-ABF5-04451ED63909.jpeg.b93094c3a330b127b8d669cc7c677c1e.jpeg

Not sure what further demolition will be required on the bridge to get it all to line up and run through but we shall see....!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, O-Gauge-Phil said:

I see the radio has gone and the dcc is wired in.   Was this an easy job, retro fitting droppers,

frog switches?

Phil

Yes, very easy. Apart from taking the track feeds out of the back of the DC controller and sticking them in the back of the DCC panel, no wiring at all.  In fact it took longer to jig-saw out a hole in the fascia for the panel! 

Now that my DCC learning curve isn't quite so steep, I wish (with wonderful hindsight) that I had taken the plunge sooner..! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/08/2019 at 17:43, Tricky said:

What else to do on a sultry Bank Holiday afternoon but idly contemplate how I might extend the tracks from Birmingham to Tewkesbury - all in the space of an inch or so? Before I knew it I had a mallet and chisel out and this happened:

99A456F9-C88D-4C7E-B947-C29710A6B4C3.jpeg.00085493742f48ea82c9e81873a0eb65.jpeg

Poor Ned ☹️