Midland in London (or is it Birmingham?)

Tricky

• RMweb Premium

There is something rather appealing about railways sneaking through gaps, eg the Welshpool and Llanfair which popped over a road between two shops and Hellandbridge in Cornwall. Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

There is something rather appealing about railways sneaking through gaps, eg the Welshpool and Llanfair which popped over a road between two shops and Hellandbridge in Cornwall. Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Yes - very appealing indeed. There is a bit of sneaking through gaps and across a road on Tewkesbury as well of course , which will adjoin this in the fullness of time. So when its all finished and joined up, trains will sneak in and out and pop out all over the place...!

• Like 2

Further contemplation on this area has lead me to think that I will do away with the mirror under the bridge and replace it with a blocked-in arch way with a door, ship-lap boarding, corrugated sheeting etc all looking a bit disused. In-between this and the railway will be some temporary-looking chestnut paling fencing across the road and general workman's clutter; all adding to make the scene look like a back street/yard scenario, rather than a main road that's still in use. There will also be an open crossing gate across the tracks outside the office. Still cogitating about what goes to the left of the bridge either side of the track, as I still need some sort of view-blocker...

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another pleasant half hour sifting through your first blog.  There are some brilliant modelers on RMweb - the likes of Mikkel and Alex Duckworth stand tall amongst them.  You have what Alex calls ‘the eye’ and you have it in spades.  You are indeed an artist rather than just a modeler. I still can’t quite get my head around the fact that Monk’s Gate and Midland in Bristol are your first layouts, it’s no wonder you’ve caused a bit of splash on here.  When I saw that first picture of the Goods Office I swear I was looking at the real thing; the scribing and painting of the brick walls was modeling perfection.  The idea about printing on the crates with Laser print and nail varnish was also genius; how on earth did you come up with that?  I look forward to seeing much more from you and I’m seriously thinking of going to 7mm from 4mm myself because of your layouts.  Really inspiring stuff and thank you for sharing it on here.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not a lot of time lately for my own stuff, however, I have managed to divide Tewksbury and Birmingham and stick some signs up just in case I forget which is which...B8DC921D-D8BB-460A-B444-0242513058AD.jpeg.26bfcb38d12aa717960ec0f4088e7fe7.jpeg95C03C9F-316A-40B6-9C94-7F09D891FE96.jpeg.f22a8435d7c6a326fdc2b6e70ab27c2b.jpeg

Please excuse the poor lighting (there isn't any layout lighting which is why it’s all a bit dim!) and dodgy skies. These will be done again when the lighting is up so I get the colours right-ish. 

• Like 16