A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Eskdale Green Circ 1890-1910

Having read this year Dave Brewer Challenge and even though I'm not going to make Expo Narrow Gauge 2017, as I live in the Lake District and I’m not able to get to Kent, I have decided to have a go. I also needed something to demonstrate at the Solrail show at Workington in November.

The rules for this year.

For the 2017 Challenge the theme is ‘The Halt’, a small, wayside stop alongside a single, narrow gauge track. No loop, no sidings, just a single line of rails. The model is to be a diorama and is not required to operate.

1. The model may use any scale and gauge combination, as long as it represents a narrow (ie less than 4 ft 8.5 ins) gauge, with a maximum gauge of 45 mm.
  2. Any structures may be wholly scratch-built, or use parts from kits or commercial models, but no unaltered kits or commercial models can be used.
  3. A train or rolling stock may be placed on the track, if desired.
  4. To ensure we can fit entries into the available space please use these maximum sizes:

60 cm by 25 cm by 30 cm high for gauges 14 mm and above, but less than 32 mm.

1. Any lighting can be above the height limit.

So from this I have decided to build Eskdale Green Station on the “Owd Ratty” more known as the original 3ft gauge Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.

As the track will be 21mm gauge the space I have to play with is 600mm long by 250mm by 300mm high. And although the challenge says that the layout doesn’t need to be operated the plan is to build all the stock circ 1890-1910.

I will be using code 100 flat bottom rail pin to wooden sleepers.

I have just ordered the 7mm NG Association’s Ravenglass and Eskdale rolling stock drawing book so the next job is find a nice afternoon and get out and photograph the remains of the original station.

Well that’s the plan.

Wish me luck

Marc

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hello Marc,

good luck with this, I did Irton Rd in 09 and got to know T'Owd Ratty pretty well. Eskdale Green now bears no relation to how it was! But there are some photos around. I can dig around if you like, I donated most of my Ratty materials.

If you are considering including a train [which looks optional] then there is a guy who appaerntly produces the Millwall Extension railway manning wardle 2-4-0T in 7mm scale - which is relevant because above the running plate it is near identical with Devon & Nab Gill, the Ratty locos. Hope this helps!

Dava

Interesting I will have a look at the loco it might save me some work.

If you have any info it would be brilliant. I've just got to juggle this with the day job. It's going to be nice to do something for me for a change.

Marc

• RMweb Premium

This is a photo of a tinted postcard of Eskdale Green in 'The Ratty Album' vol 1 [was there a vol 2?]

There are also b/w photos of the wooden shelter as used at this & other stations

I can maybe get a better scan if that helps

post-14654-0-90155900-1491041973_thumb.jpeg

Dava

• Like 4

Just had a look at the 7mm Millwall loco I might be able to print most of the locos which will make life easier.

Marc

I note they have a different safety valve cover. As I have scratch built one in 7mm for the Millwall Extension railway, but need this ( no lathe skills yet), if you wanted to remove it, i'd buy the original from you? I have asked if he'd do this separate and am awaiting a response.

• RMweb Premium

Have fun. I'm hoping to get to the Ratty tomorrow.

PS just looked at the Solrail show website, looks really interesting and some good traders. Put it in my diary, chance to get there behind a class 37 too.

I note they have a different safety valve cover. As I have scratch built one in 7mm for the Millwall Extension railway, but need this ( no lathe skills yet), if you wanted to remove it, i'd buy the original from you? I have asked if he'd do this separate and am awaiting a response.

Apologies! I've not long started in a new post with the Methodist church in Bedfordshire, and all my Shapeways work has gone out of the window. I'l get to it as soon as I can.

Charlie

Edited by L49

for some inspiration, do you know of Peter Kazer's Boot layout although its not 7mm , its 1/4 inch which isnt far off

other locos which are almost identical to Nabgill and Dervon were on Malta

http://www.stamps-for-sale.com/ekmps/shops/stewcoin/images/malta-1983-centenary-of-malta-railway-sg-705-fine-used-20162-p.jpg

malta-1983-centenary-of-malta-railway-sg

http://maltarailway.com/rolling/RM1912_4.jpg

RM1912_4.jpg

Although i know it doesnt help much as there isnt much info about them available. I'll have a look in my local museum library tomorrow as they have the 3 volumes of Fred Harmans manning wardle books

just remebered that ive got a book about malta railway and on a page is a good quality left hand 3/4 view and below it the works drawing at about 9mm scale but its not quite a good enough quality scan/print to read the measurement. The opposite pages gives these measurement for Malta No's 1-3 MW 842 - 844

Overall length - 22'

maximum height - 10' 6" (im guessing this includes to the top of the whistle on top of the cab roof and not up to the roof itself)

cylinders - 10 1/2" x 18"

wheelbase - 9' 7"

wheel dia' - 3' 5"

grate area- 4.5 square feet

weight empty - 17 ton

weight full - 22 ton

And ive also got the 1981 reprint of  WJK Davies book on the R&ER, which has a very nice side drawing and the following measurements on the next page;

ive changed some of the wording a bit to simplify it

overbufferbeams - 9' 1" (this is what it says so must be a typo, i would say 19' 1")

overall width - 6' 8"

footplate to cab roof - 6' 4"

wheelbase - 9' 7"

wheel dia' - 2' 9"

cylinders - 10" x 16"

Edited by sir douglas

• RMweb Gold

This sounds great, I'll look forward to seeing developments.

I had a go at creating a vague impression of Eskdale and the 3 foot Ratty in 5.5mm scale, got as far as building this from coffee stirrers and bit and bobs:

post-10919-0-65206600-1491509249_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Keith

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Just been to Eskdale for a bit of a field trip. Got some great shots of the bridge. I can see why they moved the position of the station for the 15inch gauge. The new station is on the crest of the hill whereas the 3ft gauge station was on the gradient.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the most appropriate rail profile? Its supposed to be flat bottomed spiked to wooden sleepers. I was planning to use either code 75 or code 100 flat bottomed rail.

Marc

Are you aware that the track through the bridge was raised significantly during the late 1920s to remove the dip at the base of Hollin How bank? There is a picture somewhere of the old station building sat at ground level afterwards, so I reckon the current track level is around the same height as the 3ft gauge platform

I wasn't but that would make sense the current platform looks lower than the 3ft one and the 15inch locos were at least initially a lot less powerful than the 3ft ones.

marc  

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck Marc,

I started volunteering on the La'al Ratty last year, I picked this up from the preservation society, a very good little book with lots of pics.

attachicon.gifDSCN0821.JPG

HTH.

The book arrived this morning. Interesting photos. Hoping to start the drawings the week after next. Due to the no commercial nature of the rolling stock I'm not going to produce any of the rolling stock a kits I'm just going to get them printed, if people want one I will put them one our shapeways shop and they can get one printed.

Marc  

• 1 month later...

I have just found out that "Eskdale Green station" in 1900 wasn't a halt as I first thought it had a siding running from the Ravenglass end with the buffers at the boot end. This now stops it qualifying for the Dave Brewer Challenge. But it does make it more interesting to operate. So as I wasn't going to actually enter the competition this year I'm going to do the job properly and with our rush. So I might enter it into the Cameo layout competition instead.

So the new plan is the layout will be

1. built on 1x 900x400 baseboard (with the option of adding more  over time if desired)
  2. 2x2 road traversers built on 900x400 baseboards,
  3. track will be hand built
  4. All stock will be built from kits designed for the project
  5. DCC sound will be fitted to both locos if possible
  6. Plan needs to be finalised before September to allow entry into competition.
  7. some of the stock need to be ready or in a buildable state by November 17 for Workington model railway show.

Marc

• Like 4

Just ordered one set of 3ft gauge 2ft3 wheels from slater's and they have also put together a set of their 2ft8 Manning Waddell standard gauge wheels on a 3ft axel. These should be here by the weekend.

Off to Ravenglass on Sunday to have a look at the new museum that opens on Saturday. Hoping there are some more info in the 3ft gauge. 

Marc

• Like 2