The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

Although none of the loco's are really finished as both need steps and more detailing up, i thought i'd share the latest pics'. The Katie is now ready for weathering and as asked here it is seen before the filth is attached, and the Jack loco' has had as just enough weathering to keep me happy. :jester:

post-31611-0-78592500-1496051216_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-04394800-1496051255_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-96153100-1496051292_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I am a great fan of weathering but......your Katie now looks so beautiful, and with further detail, will be even more so. Perhaps you could keep her in ex-works condition for just a while longer, so we can all appreciate what you have done before the grime hides much of it?

• Like 1

I am a great fan of weathering but......your Katie now looks so beautiful, and with further detail, will be even more so. Perhaps you could keep her in ex-works condition for just a while longer, so we can all appreciate what you have done before the grime hides much of it?

....and you say that just has i had the Satin Black spray can in my hand Mike :yes: but don't worry for now, i'll lay off it until further parts arrive just for you and no doubt a few others :jester: Best laid plans again went all to pot this weekend has the youngest broke her left leg on Sat' morn' and we've had to be up at Lancaster Hosp' most of the weekend, she's still up there whilst the so called experts decide what to do with her next as her condition is so complicated, and now a transfer down to Wigan Hosp' was on the cards this morning. ....good job the weather turned crap and and i've nowt else to do!  :jester:

Sorry to here about your youngest bob . got to disagree  with you about warrior ,dont think you should dirty her. Too pretty  for that . great job though  phil

Thanks all!  :friends: the Daughter is still in Lancaster whilst they argue about where to send her next...Liverpool is the latest suggestion :drag: Phil' i don't do pretty! :jester: but i'll tone it down a bit if it helps. :mosking: I made a tight fitting piece of brass sheet and car seam sealed it into the coal bunker last night, the coal was then stuck in using car repair fibreglass resin stuff. Just seen a lovely looking weathered 'Billy' loco' on the 16mm groups pic' of the week. :yes:

post-31611-0-72425800-1496136634_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Pinzer. Both locos look fantastic, but the Katie/Peckett cross is magnificent. Perhaps you should enter it for the model of the year competition at P'boro next year? They have a specific category for Roundhouse builds. 

Sorry to hear about Baby Deltic. Hope she is okay and nothing too serious. Will keep fingers crossed!

No way would i get or go to Peterborough and i'm not into competitions Idris. A lot more progress to report this afternoon as my new shed has arrived and was erected by the two burly skin headed guys that turned up in less than 20 mins :O My katie has had a weatherin' and is sat out to dry in the warm Sun. :locomotive: And my youngest Daughter is now staying at Lancaster Hosp' and will have an operation there tomorrow ;)

post-31611-0-04768700-1496240947_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-50541700-1496240989_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-37428400-1496241030_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No way would i get or go to Peterborough and i'm not into competitions Idris.   

Thats a pity Pinzer. I don't think you do yourself justice. I was thinking more along the lines of allowing others to bask in the beauty of such a stunner. I think you should get some photos (perhaps the second one down) up on the 16mm website. 

A lot more progress to report this afternoon as my new shed has arrived and was erected by the two burly skin headed guys that turned up in less than 20 mins :O

Have you still got all your teeth Pinzer?  :jester:

My katie has had a weatherin' and is sat out to dry in the warm Sun. :locomotive: 

I didn't think you could make Warrior look any better but bl@@dy hell you've only gone and done it. :O  I doth my cap at you sir!

And my youngest Daughter is now staying at Lancaster Hosp' and will have an operation there tomorrow ;)

I take it that is good news? Will keep fingers crossed. 

Hi Bob , nice shed, but dont leave your locos in it. Even if its locked up like fort Knox and armour plated . :cry: poor warrior ,I think ill go and shout at the wife now  Phil

Many thanks guys :thankyou: Don't worry i said little to the two shed erectors as they seemed to be smoking some funny roll ups :drag:  and between grunts every other word they spoke began with a letter 'F' or 'B' so i just left them to it :jester:  i can't complain at the their speed and quality of work. Phil' only all the crap that has grown in and around the house such as paints, small hand tools and other railway related bits and bobs will now be put in the shed, and i'm doing something i never dreamed i ever would and keeping my Loco's in a display cabinet in the living room :O Blimey! I'll be keeping my third loco' mint and boxed at this rate :mosking: The weathering is only satin and matt Black at the mo' i still need a bit of rusty Brown here and there adding later, i used a spray can of each Black which i sprayed on from long distances ...heavy on the top of the tank and just a light misting in most other places. ;)  

• Like 3

Marvelous job with the weathering! :declare: It's really brought the loco to life, (and you make it sound so easy, but I know from experience how badly it can turn out)

Loving the new shed and wondering how long before it gets adorned with some signage :yes:

Marvelous job with the weathering! :declare: It's really brought the loco to life, (and you make it sound so easy, but I know from experience how badly it can turn out)

Loving the new shed and wondering how long before it gets adorned with some signage :yes:

:jester: And you read my mind this time NM, i'll strengthen the door and fit better locks and i'll bar the windows with thick mesh with an old car dog guard i have going spare. I'll make it more railway building looking on the garden railway side at least, and i have my drill stand, bench grinder and my new Aldi bought bandsaw to put in at one end on a yet to be made workbench...and then a bed settee probably :sarcastic: then lights, and wiring up with plenty of sockets is another job for a better qualified than me mate  ;)

• Like 3

You had better decide on a color scheme quick before SWMBO has it. Might I suggest something Western?

All going to be painted in my usual Cuprinol Ducks back 'Forest Green' fence paint, and magnolia gloss on the outside for door and window frames to appease swmbo and she is doing the Green as i write :O The inside needs some insulation not just for warmth but for some sound deadening for when the machines are finally in motion. You have done a lot of recent home improvements Idris..did you use or do you know how much those big polystyrene insulation sheets are by chance? ....about two inch thick! :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All going to be painted in my usual Cuprinol Ducks back 'Forest Green' fence paint, and magnolia gloss on the outside for door and window frames to appease swmbo and she is doing the Green as i write :O The inside needs some insulation not just for warmth but for some sound deadening for when the machines are finally in motion. You have done a lot of recent home improvements Idris..did you use or do you know how much those big polystyrene insulation sheets are by chance? ....about two inch thick! :scratchhead:

You southern heathen you!

Is this what you were asking for? http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Insulation/Insulation-Boards/c/1000272

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Celotex-50mm-High-Performance-Insulation-Board-1200-x-2400mm/p/190544 This what you are asking for Bob?  sorry you beat me too it idris

Edited by 77philg

:jester: And you read my mind this time NM, i'll strengthen the door and fit better locks and i'll bar the windows with thick mesh with an old car dog guard i have going spare. I'll make it more railway building looking on the garden railway side at least, and i have my drill stand, bench grinder and my new Aldi bought bandsaw to put in at one end on a yet to be made workbench...and then a bed settee probably :sarcastic: then lights, and wiring up with plenty of sockets is another job for a better qualified than me mate  ;)

If security is a problem down your way Bob, then, from "professional" experience, I suggest (as well as the things you intend) that you install movement-sensitive lighting, cheaply available from any DIY warehouse these days. Any thug can get through a shed door or window (or indeed through the wooden panels), whatever you do to it, but, if you can slow them down as you intend and they are brightly illuminated, it really puts them off. Anti-climb paint (which stays sticky) to the tops of your garden fences/walls is also a worthwhile and easy addition, if that is their mostly likely way in. Add anything that will make a loud noise if persons of nefarious intent breach your boundaries, such as tin cans on wires or brambles (to make them scream). An alarm can be useful, but is often ignored - a silent one that alerts you indoors is probably more useful, so that you can dial Inspector Clouseau as it happens.

Sounds over the top, and paranoid, but if your area suffers from these yobs, it could make a big difference. The garden railway society that we dare not mention in your presence, is full of stories of people who have had their pride and joy severely re-arranged by those who get a kick out of destruction for its own sake. Hopefully, you do not get these problems and I am being an alarmist plonker.

Many thanks for the security & insulation board info' Gents :sungum: i think the 25mm board is thick enough after measuring the depth of the shed wall supports which are 30mm thick. Just to let you all know my Youngest had an op' yesterday afternoon and all went well.  :imsohappy: Not sure she'll like posing by the pool anymore with a 10 inch long scar all down her left thigh though  :jester: Many thanks for all the support Chaps! :friends: I managed to solder up two sets of loco' steps from Swift sixteen last eve' hopefully i can get them on the loco's sometime today........depends on how my trip to the Dentist go's this morn' :scared: