The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

Cheers Mike;) I wound'nt have found it again if it was'nt for you, some of of us don't like using comps' at the best of times  or changes but i'm getting used to it and they've done a great job. Had more snow this week now three inches deep but frozen solid,  so nowts going to happen here for a while.:rolleyes:

2019-02-02_11_04_17.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I can only agree with the above comment. Your railway is everything that a garden railway should be. I dream of being able to have one some day in the future but for the time being I am happy to enjoy your photos! :good_mini:

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well i could'nt really wish to end my garden railway exploits on a better finish than with those last two posts. I do hope i've inspired and added something to the hobby over the past several years of posting and sharing my railway, although it is an unlucky 13th year in total since i began garden railway modelling, i've mentally and physically gone as far as i can , and my heart and mind for it is on the wane and has been for some time now, so coupled with more ongoing health probs' and other real life stuff,  i'll get my fix and i'll stay indoors and carry on modelling in the slightly smaller scales. I always fancied a ride on railway in the garden so who knows, maybe one day when things are looking better i may get the inspiration for it.

Thanks to all and everyone who have inspired, helped and praised me over the years.  Anybody wants  anything....it's all going to go. Hoping to hire a mini digger for a weekend and a mate in the Spring, probably about Easter time to help demolish it all and get the back yard back to some sort of normal levels. ;) Cheers. Mark. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

It will be a great sadness for so many of us on here not to see your latest updates every so often. It has been so, so inspiring and so creative. But I fully understand your decision if your heart and body is not longer into it. The constant threat of subsidence, at one side, must be playing a part in that I guess?

But...perhaps you might hang on a little longer for better weather, to see if you change your mind, before you start getting rid of stuff??

If you do remain determined to go indoors, then perhaps you need to make a list of the things you want to eject - many of your items will be worth a lot of money and you must make sure you get full value for them (to fund your next venture, if nothing else). I, for one, would pay a good number of sovs for the coal chutes you made for your canal basin. But how to put a value on them? Is there someone who can guide you locally?

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Agree 2

No troubles with the subsidence,  i've Just had enough of struggling with health issues and a lot of other outside interferences, i will need two more spinal ops' this year and my youngest Daughter has to have two further ops' as well, the ops' she's had in the last 18 months have both failed and need re-doing, truth be be told we are gonna be busy all year and for at least the next three years the experts have said with the Daughters probs'. It's also time to put my foot down with a lot of other issues around here i'm always having to pussyfoot around them and sacrificing my own wants and wishes, so i'm finally going do summat about it all. Just pm me your address Mike, you can have the chutes for pennies thats if they are still or stay in one piece by the time they get posted over the Channel:D I'll go have a look! I know the values and the prices i want for all my loco's and stock and most buildings and i don't rip people off or over charge, most dosh will go back into the 'O' gauge and 009 layouts as i'll have plenty of time to mess about with them whilst stuck indoors soon. ;)

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

No troubles with the subsidence,  i've Just had enough of struggling with health issues and a lot of other outside interferences, i will need two more spinal ops' this year and my youngest Daughter has to have two further ops' as well, the ops' she's had in the last 18 months have both failed and need re-doing, truth be be told we are gonna be busy all year and for at least the next three years the experts have said with the Daughters probs'. It's also time to put my foot down with a lot of other issues around here i'm always having to pussyfoot around them and sacrificing my own wants and wishes, so i'm finally going do summat about it all. Just pm me your address Mike, you can have the chutes for pennies thats if they are still or stay in one piece by the time they get posted over the Channel:D I'll go have a look! I know the values and the prices i want for all my loco's and stock and most buildings and i don't rip people off or over charge, most dosh will go back into the 'O' gauge and 009 layouts as i'll have plenty of time to mess about with them whilst stuck indoors soon. ;)

Bob,

Sorry to hear about your health issues, and those of your family, and need to reappraise things as a result. I understand it must be physically demanding both building and maintaining such a system but it has obviously brought you great enjoyment and satisfaction too. Your garden railway has been inspirational and inspiring to me and, whilst not a regular contributer to your thread, I have really enjoyed following your progress. 

Good luck with future modelling projects and keep us all up to date with what you do next... particular the O gauge! :good_mini:

David

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Ok Bob - all of that puts matters into perspective I had no real idea of, and of course that must come first.

You will not accept just pennies for those chutes - they are worth far more than that. I will PM you to discuss!!

• Thanks 1

On 23/02/2019 at 11:22, Owd Bob said:

Well i could'nt really wish to end my garden railway exploits on a better finish than with those last two posts. I do hope i've inspired and added something to the hobby over the past several years of posting and sharing my railway, although it is an unlucky 13th year in total since i began garden railway modelling, i've mentally and physically gone as far as i can , and my heart and mind for it is on the wane and has been for some time now, so coupled with more ongoing health probs' and other real life stuff,  i'll get my fix and i'll stay indoors and carry on modelling in the slightly smaller scales. I always fancied a ride on railway in the garden so who knows, maybe one day when things are looking better i may get the inspiration for it.

Thanks to all and everyone who have inspired, helped and praised me over the years.  Anybody wants  anything....it's all going to go. Hoping to hire a mini digger for a weekend and a mate in the Spring, probably about Easter time to help demolish it all and get the back yard back to some sort of normal levels. ;) Cheers. Mark. 

nooooooooooooooooooooo dont do it

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Very much a firm favourite of mine on RMWeb. Not because it is not the sort of era or subject I've ever modelled, or because it's a garden railway (I'm OO indoors), but because it is such a good layout, with such character and so well and consistently modelled perfectly blending scale world and full size word to great effect.

Your health and well-being and that of your family must have priority and if the time is right for you to stop the garden rail malarky, then that's it and all about it. I wish you well and the best of luck with the forthcoming ops 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the praise Gents' but only a short length will survive after the coming weekend, and be kept for testing and trial running the few loco's and stock i have left, the de-construction started a few weeks ago and slowly my garden is reappearing even an old patio i'd forgot all about has re-surfaced. Most of the concrete and air-lite blocks have and are being saved to be re-used later this year for a base for replacing my now falling apart wooden lean-to come workshop, all the plants, soil and rocks have been moved around the garden and stuck in where ever i can find a gap for them. As usual the Dog is by my side moving hand tools and brick rubble around when i'm not looking.:lol:  I'll post more next week when more or all has been cleared, never mind there's plenty of the old photo's to look back on. 

2019-04-12_08_30_41.jpg

2019-04-12_08_32_51.jpg

2019-04-12_08_31_44.jpg

2019-04-12_08_33_14.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Really sad to see these pics, even though you have explained why this has to be, and quite rightly.

As you say, the pics will be there to mull over for some years yet. And some bits will make their way elsewhere.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you Folks, maybe a lot of my stuff will be seen elsewhere in the future, and i'm glad to say it is in very capable hands. I still have my short test track along the back cos' i'm hoping to remote fit control to my 'O' gauge Diesel loco's, and if i don't ever get to use it, the track bed can be covered with soil and made into a steeper rockery bank and planted up much like the last bits we finally got done yesterday, at least its tidy for who ever the next tenants of this place will be one day. Half the blocks are still left in place and just buried under the final bit. All it now needs is leveling & stoning up and then its ready to be a parking spot again.:rolleyes:

2019-04-13_15_18_16.jpg

2019-04-13_15_18_32.jpg

2019-04-13_15_18_54.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Thank you Folks, maybe a lot of my stuff will be seen elsewhere in the future, and i'm glad to say it is in very capable hands. I still have my short test track along the back cos' i'm hoping to remote fit control to my 'O' gauge Diesel loco's, and if i don't ever get to use it, the track bed can be covered with soil and made into a steeper rockery bank and planted up much like the last bits we finally got done yesterday, at least its tidy for who ever the next tenants of this place will be one day. Half the blocks are still left in place and just buried under the final bit. All it now needs is leveling & stoning up and then its ready to be a parking spot again.:rolleyes:

2019-04-13_15_18_16.jpg

2019-04-13_15_18_32.jpg

2019-04-13_15_18_54.jpg

that second pic looks suspiciously like an alpine rockery :P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to see this go Bob, it's been a huge source of entertainment and inspiration.  But nothing lasts forever, and the last thing you want is for it to become a millstone to drag you down.

I look forward to seeing a new project appearing, and if you are staying with narrow gauge, I highly recommend 7mm scale!

All the best, Dave.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Ozzy it is a Alpine bed now but don't dig too deep 'cos i have'nt seen swmbo for a few days! :crazy:  DLT many thanks life go's on and i'm adapting to it by trying to make things easier for myself and everyone around here, i've built a 009 NG layout on a 4x2ft. board which is posted on here somewhere called Aberlyn or summat like that, i forget 'cos its that long since i did owt with it. :lol: And i realised whilst building some wagon kits for it just why i'd gone into the bigger scales in the first flamin' place :rolleyes: Not sure if i've enough room left for a 7mm narrow gauge layout but it do'snt have to be a big board and now you've said it i'll just have to go investigate the possibilities :crazy::lol:

• Like 1