The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

• 2 weeks later...

A few construction pics' of the above loco's, the green one did'nt last so long and i got rid of it early on,  it was a bit of an unlucky loco' and i could never get it to run right even though it was so simple a build, it seemed it was jinxed:lol:

ds2.jpg

loco bnm 004.jpg

s tank 4.jpg

peckett 003.jpg

loco_grn_007.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 months later...

I gave the 20ft of remaining track a good clean with a wire brush and spread a bit of new ballast along it, i only did it as i had a bucket full of concrete left over from putting in a new post, so i used it up and made another platform/station area out of the leftovers. The old platform shelter building was pressed into the wet concrete and can go back outside after a make-over and minor repairs sometime this week. The viaduct was dug back out and uncovered and makes a nice garden feature i suppose, main reason for digging it out though was that i needed the soil for elsewhere.:lol:

2020-03-17 09.02.19.jpg

2020-03-17 09.03.04.jpg

2020-03-17 09.03.21.jpg

2020-03-17 09.03.35.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi OB,

I've been preoccupied with medical appointments - more to follow along with my Mrs too. Plus some sort of mass hysteria thing seems to be upsetting the apple cart.

Looks like you've rolled out the big gauge stuff at last.

All looks superb, excellent modelling too, inspirational as always!

Hope you're keeping well.

ATVB,

M.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Cheers CME ;) Sorry to hear about your health woes, its been much the same here and i'm supposed to be in for a major back op' tomorrow but i can easily see it being cancelled again and that would make it for the sixth time. :o In a way this time they'll have a good enough excuse to cancel it, and if they do i've plenty railway stuff to keep me busy here in happy self isolation, mind you i've been in self isolation for years already so whats the flippin' change:D Phil! It's seven and a quarter inch, every extra inch and a bit counts you know :lol: Hope you are well phil ? It seems fate will never give me a chance to come round to yours with my 32mm stuff and have a play day, lets hope it's sooner rather than later. Mike! I even added another full metre length of track at the far end just in case it 'accidentally on purpose' extends through the white fence one day:rolleyes::D

When the rain stops this afternoon i'll stick the repaired station shelter and a signal back out and add more pics' later....but whilst i'm here .....some owd stuff.

2013-01-17 12.25.28.jpg

2015-07-01_11_43_12.jpg

2013-05-28 11.58.01.jpg

2015-06-13_11_59_19.jpg

2015-07-01 11.54.45.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

37 minutes ago, 77philg said:

Hopefully they will sort out your health issues mate     ,So are we building somat to run on 7 1/4 guage?

Yep! Phil' I'm hoping that it should keep my mind well busy, i'm still working it all out and collecting bits before actually building something that favors a loco' and hopefully i'll be finishing other stuff i've already half built or started over the coming summer months, i have another thread for it all Phil' in the 'Ride on Railways section':drinks:Apollo! I could smell the Santos factory in the air yesterday and i'm nine miles away! Are 'Uncle Joes' working overtime on a miracle cure?  :)

• Funny 1

Sorry to hear about you back Op woes OB, before 'you know what' came along, the NHS was struggling, now it's on it's knees. All of our appointments have been cancelled and we are still anxiously awaiting test results (and more tests). Other much worse off.

Oh well keep calm and carry on.

Hoping to get some rly modelling done too, now hatches are being battened down.

Stay well and keep safe all.

Atvb,

M.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Cheers M. I don't think anyone i ever told about my personal NHS woes would believe how really bad the NHS was before this horrible thing came along, if it was running has it should have been in the first place then there would'nt be a need for half the measures that are in place now. Yes its a bad time, but time to knuckle down and carry on regardless. I've made a list of jobs around the house and garden to keep us both busy, but both of us not being fit enough to do half of 'em means it will take some time trying, but at least we'll give it a try, but who's in a rush now! Managed to get one railway related project started last eve' as last week i finally got myself the later version Dapol 08 shunter to fettle with. ;)

ngr_autumn_'13_014.jpg

ngr_autumn_'13_012.jpg

ngr_autumn_'13_046.jpg

ngr_autumn_'13_040.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, Owd Bob said:

Cheers M. I don't think anyone i ever told about my personal NHS woes would believe how really bad the NHS was before this horrible thing came along, if it was running has it should have been in the first place then there would'nt be a need for half the measures that are in place now. Yes its a bad time, but time to knuckle down and carry on regardless. I've made a list of jobs around the house and garden to keep us both busy, but both of us not being fit enough to do half of 'em means it will take some time trying, but at least we'll give it a try, but who's in a rush now! Managed to get one railway related project started last eve' as last week i finally got myself the later version Dapol 08 shunter to fettle with. ;)

ngr_autumn_'13_014.jpg

ngr_autumn_'13_012.jpg

ngr_autumn_'13_046.jpg

ngr_autumn_'13_040.jpg

Gorgeous scenes OB, superb modelling!

The NHS? I'd believe you mate. I studied alongside NHS bods when doing HE post grad studies, I have friends and family who work for the NHS. Since at least 2008 it's been, eroded, I believe, ready for privatisation (not that such is any better but folks make money from it so froth over it). Some privatisation is subversive too, back door via outsourcing etc. And now? It's costing us dearly. Not the best value in terms of financially or our health/lives. More myopia from those at the top. Then there's the other agendas at play.

Back to modelling though, it helps to keep us all going :-)

Atvb

M.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

You may not be impressed, but I have just received the 32mm NG Modellers Guide to Garden Railways, and, on Page 50, is a photo of your old railway, although not credited (only to someone whose loco, I presume, it was - a yellow diesel).

I think there may one other, but it is hard to tell exactly.

Much respect!!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Mike, glad to say that my copy of the very same new guide book came on Tues' and i was surprised to see a pic' of mine in it, but really happy:) ...it's another 15 mins' of fame...:D It's a loco' I built special for someone, then three others of the same type came along later.;) i've none of those pics' anymore i lost them when the last lap-top conked out, but i have a few of the blue loco' on disc' which went to the same person that the Yellow loco' did.;)

grl_008.jpg

2011-07-08_15_09_59.jpg

2013-05-12 09.35.15.jpg

d4.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
photo added
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

As a latecomer to this thread, it's a real shame to see that it's over. But there are 37 pages of it for a newbie like me to enjoy, so all is not lost...

It was a fabulous railway and I'd be very happy if I could achieve about 5% of the quality you managed...

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Zomboid,  you are far too kind Sir! Looks like I've been there and done that never to return now etc. :D There's only a 20ft length left now for any future 'O' gauge testing purposes. When old age, close family and personal illnesses and bad neighbours all combine to make you think whats the use of it anymore.:lol: Hoping to move on to bigger and better things one day soon.;) I might as well post some pics' on whilst i'm here....cos' i know how much certain folks really like me posting my stuff. :laugh:

DSC02003.JPG

DSC02017.JPG

DSC03015.JPG

2011-08-01_17_18_05.jpg

2015-06-13_12_03_20.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 months later...