The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

Well whilst awaiting the bits to arrive for this loco' i've been busy with the grinder! :O  :jester: As its a very angular loco' i thought i'd cut out the cab side and front windows to suit, i also removed the cab handrails and opened up the cab entrance area to a better scale width, and then drilled out the holes for future handrails. The buffs were drilled and rivets were soldered in then painted up with the much better looking pound shop Red, the smoke box and cab area were given a waft over with barby paint. :locomotive:

attachicon.gif2010-05-05 17.37.25.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-05-06 17.48.13.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-05-06 17.18.49.jpg

I can't wait to see the finished loco. You're much braver than me. I'd never dream of modifying my loco to the extent you have.

Ian

I can't wait to see the finished loco. You're much braver than me. I'd never dream of modifying my loco to the extent you have.

Ian

I know Ian  :nomention: i get a daft vision in my head of how i want the finished loco' to look and i just go for it, and until i know and learn more about the basic boiler/chassis set ups they'll be staying just as bought...until i've learned a lot more knowledge on how to add better bits and bobs to 'em over time, i've got to save something for the Winter nights  :D I think this one is going to be looking like a rejected version of a W&L Beyer Peacock especially with the square windows :crazy: I'm stripping the paint off what's left of the body shell this week and then adding some bits by soldering, like lamp brackets and window frames and handrails. I'm trying to get the right shade of Green paint for it today...on the cheap as usual Ian....that's if swmbo will take me out.  :rolleyes: This will be a body that may well get taken off once i've built another body type i had really intended for this, which i'll also try to build this Autumn/Winter ...don't be surprised if it's another saddle tank..i have a real fettish for 'em!  :mocking_mini:   :)

• Like 3

Look away now Ian!  :butcher: I've plenty of stripper left if you want your Lady Anne doing next Ian? :sarcastichand: It took two coats of paint stripper and a good scrubbing off with a Brillo pad to finally get all the paint off, the next job is to get some more holes drilled.  A couple of old small spray cans of Ford Pine Green were on offer in the bargain box at my local car spares shop so i got 'em cheap!   :derisive: Not the right or same shade of Green as it was but any dark-ish Green will do for me. :jester:

post-31611-0-58443400-1498037597_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-71148100-1498037660_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Look away now Ian!  :butcher: I've plenty of stripper left if you want your Lady Anne doing next Ian? :sarcastichand: It took two coats of paint stripper and a good scrubbing off with a Brillo pad to finally get all the paint off, the next job is to get some more holes drilled.  A couple of old small spray cans of Ford Pine Green were on offer in the bargain box at my local car spares shop so i got 'em cheap!   :derisive: Not the right or same shade of Green as it was but any dark-ish Green will do for me. :jester:

attachicon.gif2010-05-08 22.02.28.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-05-08 22.27.55.jpg

OMG  :cry: :lol:

I've seen OBs work and I know it'll turn out alright. It'll be a gud 'un when it's finished.

And my Lady Anne isn't coming anywhere near your paint stripper!  :nono:

Ian

Edited by 44690

• RMweb Gold

Oooh! Pinzer, you have been a naughty boy. Love the improvements to the Caradoc!

Might I suggest some others which I have found have helped mine? The first thing I did was to add one of the Upgraded gas valves (http://www.thetraindepartment.com/ttd-upgrade-valves/) - you can get them from Anything Narrow Gauge as well. This makes controlling the gas so much easier. I did try one of the upgraded regulator valves as well. It didn't work in Sophie, but has done on Joan. 

The other thing I did was send Sophie's burner to Barley Pit Works and get one of their Bullet burners fitted (http://www.barleypitworks.com/bpw-burners.html). This has increased the run time, made lighting up easier, and decreased the burner howl as well.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures soon! And I hope your youngest has recovered!

Edited by vjoneslong

Blimey! :O

You've only had it five minutes, and you've already done all that to it - really putting me to shame with my own Caradoc "project", which has taken weeks to do far less! (mind you, waiting over a month for a chuff pipe didn't help....... and there's STILL no word on the name plates, so I've given up on those. Some traders don't seem to care much about "customer care" :nono: )

Really looking forward to seeing what you've got planned in your minds eye for this loco :imsohappy:

• Like 1

Well i'm stuck indoors doing nowt heavy for another week Lads after a minor op' last week and swmbo is keeping her Matronly Yorkshire beady eyes on me  :devil: So i'm back to tea tray bedroom fettlin' :ireful: I got most of the extra rivet detail and lamp brackets soldered on last eve' another eve of more solderin' and then a good cleaning up should see the shell ready for spraying up at the weekend :crazy: A new micro servo arrived on Mon' so i made a brass bracket for it and soldered that on footplate last night....i will post pics soon. I'll get all the regulator/burner improvements done i'm sure over this Autumn/winter time :prankster:  so many thanks for all the great info'  :bye:

• Like 2

waiting over a month for a chuff pipe didn't help

I'm waiting for a couple of chuffers too - if it's coming direct from Nigel in Weymouth, Chris Bird told me that there's a delay of several weeks due to a backlog of orders.  If it's anything like the chuffer in my Roundhouse Linda, it'll be worth the wait though - not quite as loud as the real thing going up the hill to Blaenau, but not too far off!

Sorry to hear about the op Bob - hope you're fighting fit again before too long. 

David

• RMweb Gold

Blimey! :O

You've only had it five minutes, and you've already done all that to it - really putting me to shame with my own Caradoc "project", which has taken weeks to do far less! (mind you, waiting over a month for a chuff pipe didn't help....... and there's STILL no word on the name plates, so I've given up on those. Some traders don't seem to care much about "customer care" :nono: )

Really looking forward to seeing what you've got planned in your minds eye for this loco :imsohappy:

This increasingly seems to be the norm. Even several well reputed traders appear to be falling down the same hole.

Well i'm stuck indoors doing nowt heavy for another week Lads after a minor op' last week and swmbo is keeping her Matronly Yorkshire beady eyes on me  :devil: So i'm back to tea tray bedroom fettlin' :ireful: I got most of the extra rivet detail and lamp brackets soldered on last eve' another eve of more solderin' and then a good cleaning up should see the shell ready for spraying up at the weekend :crazy: A new micro servo arrived on Mon' so i made a brass bracket for it and soldered that on footplate last night....i will post pics soon. I'll get all the regulator/burner improvements done i'm sure over this Autumn/winter time :prankster:  so many thanks for all the great info'  :bye:

Sorry to hear that Pinzer. Speedy recovery!

I'm waiting for a couple of chuffers too - if it's coming direct from Nigel in Weymouth, Chris Bird told me that there's a delay of several weeks due to a backlog of orders.  If it's anything like the chuffer in my Roundhouse Linda, it'll be worth the wait though - not quite as loud as the real thing going up the hill to Blaenau, but not too far off!

Sorry to hear about the op Bob - hope you're fighting fit again before too long. 

David

I think demand for chuffers has sky rocketed. I tried to order one before Christmas and it took nearly two months before the order was accepted, processed, and arrived at my door. At least they tend to communicate!

• Like 1

Thankfully it looks like i was lucky as my loco's came fitted with chuffers, but i know what its like to order and pay for other stuff and wait weeks without even a word of whats happening with my order from the supplier. :nono:  Heres a few pics' of my evenings efforts.

post-31611-0-53241000-1498206994_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-66340800-1498207030_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-77308400-1498207066_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Can I ask what a chuffer is? I'm guessing some sort of device for the blastpipe that makes a nice noise?

I have six Summerlands chuffers in use at the moment, with two more on order.  The sound they produce varies depending on a number of factors (e.g. the height and diameter of the chimney).  My loudest is the one fitted to my Roundhouse Linda, followed by the Darjeeling B Class.  The others are quieter, but still very noticeable - the volume is greatest when working on a full regulator with the boiler pressure some way below maximum.  They have the added bonus of diverting 90% of the oil spatter that you get from the exhaust of an un-equipped loco (it drips down beneath the loco instead), but best of all is the way that you can drive the loco (assuming radio control is fitted) when it's out of sight, simply based on the sound of the exhaust beats.  They are also helpful for those of us who like to keep garden railway speeds at realistic levels, as the enhanced exhaust quickly blurs into a continuous buzz like a small petrol lawnmower when driving too fast.  My wife has confirmed that she can clearly hear my Roundhouse Linda from 100 yards down the lane when I'm driving the loco flat out uphill at 20 mph (as measured using the Bole Laser Craft speedometer wagon) on 7 heavy FR/WHR cars.  I like the way that I can find a sunny spot and settle down by the lineside out of sight of the station before I ease open the regulator.  After a few slips, just like the real thing starting away uphill from Tan-Y-Bwlch, the sound of the exhaust beats starts to rise as Linda punches her way unseen out of the station before curving into view through the bushes 15 or so seconds later, accelerating slowly and noisily towards line speed with a lovely staccato beat filling the air.  It never fails to bring a grin to my face - deep joy!  And thankfully the neighbours haven't complained yet.

David

• Like 2

You can open your eyes now Ozzy! :P Apart from picking out the handrails and a few other bits in Black and then lacquerin' it all over, my third steamer is now repainted, i did'nt like the Ford Green as there was too much Blue in it, so i got another can from Halfords of Peugeot Conifer Green which is passable :sarcastic: i've still to make a crank to replace the plastic regulator knob, monsoon like very heavy rain here today so i'll get in the new shed and make a start on it  :D

post-31611-0-35440600-1498552748_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-43444900-1498552784_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very tasty Bob - I don't know how you do it, but I love all these live steamers of yours.  Each one looks SO much better than the out-of-the-box versions - oozing character and realism.  I'm dead jealous! 

David

Thanks Gents' I think its just common sense to add rivets where they should or could have been and it breaks the plain slab sides up nicely, the original single coal basket was replaced by two, now there's one on either side and made from ready made to width brass sprue that came with my recently bought cab steps, it was also used for the square window frames which on a very boxy/angular looking loco' suit it better imo  than the small cross-eyed looking round ones it had, handrails and steps and lamp brackets are put on where they might have been. My railway and all its stock is pure fiction, so i try to make stuff look like a skin-flint owner who had no inclination to spend money on lining and deffo' would'nt have his drivers and staff stood around polishing up the brass bits.  :jester:

• Like 4

Cracking job O.B. and a fantastic addition to the roster! :fan:

I know some folk have replaced the control knobs by removing 'em, cutting off the plastic, then drilling the brass insert to take a length of rod - I'll try and find you a picture :read: 

And I reckon you need a "rolled up tarp" just to finish off that cab back :good:

Cracking job O.B. and a fantastic addition to the roster! :fan:

I know some folk have replaced the control knobs by removing 'em, cutting off the plastic, then drilling the brass insert to take a length of rod - I'll try and find you a picture :read:

And I reckon you need a "rolled up tarp" just to finish off that cab back :good:

Cheers Nm, more great info' about the knob, i did try my smallest Allen key to try and get it off but it was too big so i might get the Dremmel and cutting disc on it later! I was in mind to put a full cab back on it but i'll need access to the gas control knob, and one loco with an open cab out of three is enough to make it different from the others. What would you make a tarp sheet out of NM? Safety wise summat that won't burn?  :)

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1