The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

CME i was worried about the mortar going off but its been a mild week here and although overcast and miserable we've had three dry days this week, i just covered it all over with plastic sheeting for three days and hoped for the best then i gingerly uncovered it to see if it was ok, :scared:  It's laid down an inch deep at its shallowest and two inch at its deepest. I don't think the ballast will fully dry out this side of xmas to paint it up though. :scratchhead:  :jester:

That is what was worrying me a bit. But I managed to lay 18 blocks in the end, and the tricky horseshoe curve is now done. Just 19 blocks to go to join up the circuit, on a gentle curve, but with a minor gradient to join up the two sections already laid, plus a few more for a siding to the canal basin. Won't be in the next few days - minus temps overnight until towards the end of the week, but should then get a few mild days before the rain comes.

Camera batteries fitted, but camera seems to be knackered. Buying new on Monday (this camera must be ten years old), and will take some picks to post on the Belle End thread.

• Like 1

Any sign of a frost when looking a week ahead and i won't make a mix or paint anything outside, it seems i just timed it right last week, although the track ballasting is set solid now its still looking wet so is still unpaintable....any how i've plenty more things to do elsewhere this week....just ask the 'Lady of the Manor'  :swoon:  She now has a big list of things that just have to be done for some reason before xmas  :shout:    :D

I thought, historically, Christmas had come and gone, in October?

Thank God for TV remotes CME, seeing as how now all the channels have ad' breaks on at the same friggin' time! :shout: Having only got Free-view i flick to an ad' free radio channel for five min's whilst all the brain washing Xmas crap is on :jester:  :sarcastic:

Black 

Thank God for TV remotes CME, seeing as how now all the channels have ad' breaks on at the same friggin' time! :shout: Having only got Free-view i flick to an ad' free radio channel for five min's whilst all the brain washing Xmas crap is on :jester:  :sarcastic:

Black Friday seems to have come earlier and earlier too, and is now at least a week or more. I can't keep up.

All joking aside there is historical evidence to suggest that Christmas should be in October. You've hit several nails on the head though, tis oft all about the money, money....

October? I thought it was February? 29th I think. That is why Jesus was really 124 when he died?

Long time since i found anything useful in a charity shop but i bought this old toy fire station for £1.50, well worth it for the ladders, handrails and steps. I'll probably adapt most of this for the pit yard.  :)

post-31611-0-33734100-1543050577_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-85964000-1543050675_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-17865100-1543050734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 5

Long time since i found anything useful in a charity shop but i bought this old toy fire station for £1.50, well worth it for the ladders, handrails and steps. I'll probably adapt most of this for the pit yard.  :)

attachicon.gif2011-10-10 23.22.26.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-10 23.21.46.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-10 23.21.09.jpg

Most excellent! Sometimes there are absolute gems in them there places, or jumbly sales. Often stuff I have never seen sold new.

Mike because i've been busy with rebuilding the line over the last six months i've not bothered looking in the charity shops at all, so it was another nice lucky and timely find. :)  After two weeks of evening messing about i've just finished painting this lot of Binnie GVT wagons, after a waft over them all with Grey car primer i hand painted them with Forest Green Cuprinol fence paint and picked out the under-frame and metal details in a matt Brown(98)/Black(33) Humbrol 50/50 paint mix. The insides are painted with Humbrol matt beige/sandy Brown(83) to represent bare/worn wood. All were then washed with the same dirty Brown/Black mix well diluted with Turps' Four removable false bottoms for future coal loads are made from 2mm thick Plasticard. Think i've enough of these wagons now to make up a nice train! Finally they are off the dressing table and out of the bedroom.....so 'Her indoors' be well pleased now! I'll soon have something else in there though! :jester:

post-31611-0-05739400-1543055222_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-51491700-1543055248_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-33866600-1543055276_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Mike because i've been busy with rebuilding the line over the last six months i've not bothered looking in the charity shops at all, so it was another nice lucky and timely find. :)  After two weeks of evening messing about i've just finished painting this lot of Binnie GVT wagons, after a waft over them all with Grey car primer i hand painted them with Forest Green Cuprinol fence paint and picked out the under-frame and metal details in a matt Brown(98)/Black(33) Humbrol 50/50 paint mix. The insides are painted with Humbrol matt beige/sandy Brown(83) to represent bare/worn wood. All were then washed with the same dirty Brown/Black mix well diluted with Turps' Four removable false bottoms for future coal loads are made from 2mm thick Plasticard. Think i've enough of these wagons now to make up a nice train! Finally they are off the dressing table and out of the bedroom.....so 'Her indoors' be well pleased now! I'll soon have something else in there though! :jester:

attachicon.gif2011-10-12 17.32.30.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-12 17.33.22.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-12 17.34.23.jpg

What a brilliant idea to use Cuprinol Bob! Lovely finishes - they really look the part.

I have a growing number of wooden wagon kits to build, once I have finished a few more buildings. Some great ideas there - many thanks yet again.

The fire station is a fantastic bargain Bob. I must start calling in the charity shops to see what I can find. The wagons look the part too. Glad you're cracking on with stuff. I was at the NEC this weekend and I can't see me getting much railway modelling done this side of Christmas now. I've started to make some working lamps and have some of the scenic features for my modular layout under construction. One board built, and all the materials collected for the second adjoining board.  

Hiya OB,

Long time no visit, but good to see pages and pages of remodelling since I was last here - we've been making the most of the weather too, but mostly by getting out and about. Despite that, I've managed a few days work on my line, but your work rate continues to be prodigious! :sungum:

Whilst it doesn't begin to compare to yours, maybe it's time I started a thread on my line - I was really pleased to see someone had mentioned your thread here on the Garden Railway Forum, with a strong recommendation to check it out. Seconded and Thirded! :preved:

ATB mucker! 

• Like 1

Wow! Can't believe anyone on that forum has a nice word to say about me phillipe :mosking: Really nice although a shock that someone has mentioned me over there so thanks for the heads up :good: i tried to become a member and was'nt allowed in for some reason :laugh:  You will have to start a topic thread on your railway on here phillipe, i'm sure it'll get a lot of looks and well deserved praise :friends:

Wow! Can't believe anyone on that forum has a nice word to say about me phillipe :mosking: Really nice although a shock that someone has mentioned me over there so thanks for the heads up :good: i tried to become a member and was'nt allowed in for some reason :laugh:  You will have to start a topic thread on your railway on here phillipe, i'm sure it'll get a lot of looks and well deserved praise :friends:

I am on that forum and have had plenty of nice words to say about you Bob!!!

But I prefer this forum, because you get nicer, helpful reactions. It is unfortunate that there remain some members of the 16mm group forum who only really want to score points, or even worse, make absolutely no comments at all. Encouragement is everything in a hobby that can be a lonely furrow at times.

So, Phillipe, publish here and bring it on!!

• Agree 1

Guilty, sorry. I slide between 4mm micros on here and and 7/8th on the GR forum. A chance search here for ballasting and McMullen returned (forgot to look at any 4mm ballasting!). This was always an inspiration to me when on t'other forum. 35 pages to catch up on, enjoyed it so much felt others should know.

Hope I haven't upset any long dead politics or dragged any skeletons out of closets...all done with best intentions.

Have to say this is the finest garden railway I've seen and inspired me to move to 7/8th and plough my own furrow. Thank you OB.

No harm done Bazzer, many-many thanks for the praise :friends: i'm blushing all over now!  :rolleyes:  :mocking_mini: I love this forum as i've an interest in all forms of railways and scales, i'm not just stuck on NG like some it seems, and where at times nowt else can even be mentioned. ;)  I've been on here a good 18 months and i've still not seen everything. I'm not well off and have to make do and mend, anything i want new and costs a deal of money and i've to sell something off to fund it  :mosking: To say i nearly packed it all in is an understatement, but with help and encouragement i've kept at it, even if i've had to shrink it all down a bit.  Stuck indoors now because of this awful wet spell we are having...looks like another week of the wet stuff is ahead :rolleyes: Never mind i'll get back to the spare bedroom and the 009 or '0' gauge modelling....or the hundreds of old railway pic' negs i've just found that now need scanning! :swoon:  :D

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Some people just need to remember this is where we come for the rose tinted fun to escape the real world.

I sometimes think I wish I’d stayed at Marchwood box where life really was the pace of lines like this ;)

Well to be honest even more relaxed ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long time since i found anything useful in a charity shop but i bought this old toy fire station for £1.50, well worth it for the ladders, handrails and steps. I'll probably adapt most of this for the pit yard. :)

2011-10-10 23.22.26.jpg

2011-10-10 23.21.46.jpg

2011-10-10 23.21.09.jpg

That looks like it could convert quite nicely into a factory frontage or other industrial building. Nice find!

• 1 month later...

Any amount of Snow around here is a great excuse to get out and have a play in it. Only an inch at the deepest and as i soon found out it was frozen solid in parts, so a quick half an hour or so of freezin' fun was had.  :jester:

post-31611-0-87750300-1548245816_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-95466800-1548245837_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-73083700-1548245860_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-82814200-1548245891_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-06079700-1548245915_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-17096400-1548245947_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-00332900-1548245967_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-53802400-1548245987_thumb.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That plough looks well weathered :)

Its seen and shifted some snow over the last several years thats for sure Paul! Its got half an house brick in it, and it mainly gets shoved around by hand with a big stick!   :mosking:

• Like 4
  • Funny 2