The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

• RMweb Premium

Bob, I’ve got a 4’x2’, but I’m doing it in 0n16.5, as I agree with you on keeping to 7mm scale. There isn’t room for anything much, it’s just a bit of fun, and the scenicbit don’t relate to the train yet, that’s just there to make it look pretty for the missus, as mine ain’t in the flower bed (yet) Once I get it running, I’ll start a thread on it.

13F68FEA-917E-4AA6-B7C4-F461A1F0E5A0.jpeg.d51d783aef1c5216386cc2d3b7affe31.jpeg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, 44690 said:

What a difference. I'll miss the railway and the updates. It kept me motivated when my focus was elsewhere. Glad your making progress with your other projects.

Thanks Northroader you and DLT have got got me thinking about another layout maybe something that can fold up and/or  cover/store over my 7mm diesel depot and also act as a lid to keep the dust off.....well thats what i'll tell 'Her' anyway:D        Cheers Ian, i've got a small length of garden track left and a lot of the buildings that can still be set up on it if only in a small area. Got a lot of stuff set aside you can have with pleasure Ian.  

• 3 months later...

With a bit of a promt' by another member and some dry weather i thought i'd pose some of what's left of my stock and on my short still in situ' trackbed, although the track and ballast has had a bleaching with the weather since its demise six months ago nearly it is still solid and everything ran fine over the whole 10mtrs.:lol: or so of what is left. :rolleyes::D I won't ever part with 'Owd Bess as its the first garden loco' i ever made, hopefully i can take it and what little other stuff i have left to visit and get involved with other local garden lines and the local 16mm group members soon.:)....tell you what though i don't miss all the bending down at all.....mi back is not half playing me up now!:mocking_mini:

2019-07-26_11_04.31bess.jpg

2019-07-26_11_06.10009.jpg

2019-07-26_11_10.032679.jpg

2019-07-26 11.15.03bess.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

47 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Still as beautiful as ever - I hope you can leave this bit in situ for as long as you can!

Thanks Mike! i have no plans to do anything with it at all, it is'nt in our way or taking up much room along the rear fence line, so it can stay. I want to keep it as a test track for my 'O' gauge locos should i remote control them one day. The plants have been left to spread and the shrubs are getting taller and thicker along the back of the track bed and are starting to hide the horrible fence. I'd been thinking of making a 7.1/4 inch sit on and ride line along/on the now ground level footings of the old track bed and then through a gate in my fence into the other half of the garden, and partially hidden behind a few sheds, it would be a total length of about 80-90mtrs, just a single track out and back line, though then the idiot neighbours from hell would still be able to see it and then they would really take the wee-wee all the time. It's bad enough at the mo' with the constant Barbies and the noise and stink we get around here ....all this lovely weather we have had and we can't even open a single window for the smoke and noise we get from the brain dead idiots. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 months later...

A few pics' from the past i found the other day. These pics' with the Mamod track were my first efforts in garden railway-ing, i came upon and bought a huge pile of Mamod track complete with two sets of points from a car boot for the grand sum of £25, that was cheap even back then. It was enough for a 10ft. circle and a passing loop, it was laid straight upon existing garden edging  blocks which then circled an existing flower bed..... and that was the start of it all!:D

2011-03-09_14_13_52.jpg

2011-03-09_14_16_57.jpg

2011-03-09 14.27.17.jpg

2011-07-08_15_09_59.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 18/10/2019 at 08:32, Owd Bob said:

A few pics' from the past i found the other day. These pics' with the Mamod track were my first efforts in garden railway-ing, i came upon and bought a huge pile of Mamod track complete with two sets of points from a car boot for the grand sum of £25, that was cheap even back then. It was enough for a 10ft. circle and a passing loop, it was laid straight upon existing garden edging  blocks which then circled an existing flower bed..... and that was the start of it all!:D

2011-03-09_14_13_52.jpg

2011-03-09_14_16_57.jpg

2011-03-09 14.27.17.jpg

2011-07-08_15_09_59.jpg

Wonderful atmosphere!

• Thanks 1

Lucky recent finds some of these pics' and some may have been on here before so apologies for that. My several years old lap top recently went up in smoke so i'm using an even older one that was my youngest Daughters first High School lap top.....she's now 23! She did a project at School and used these pics' for it, so that shows just how old this lap top is i'm having to be using at the mo' :rolleyes::lol:

2009-01-25_14_48_12.jpg

2011-03-09 14.26.44.jpg

2013-01-17 12.19.38.jpg

2013-01-17 12.40.57.jpg

2013-02-26 10.28.09.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Cheers Apollo:drinks: Until i find some more cheap track or win the 'pools' the bigger line is stuck with just 5.mtrs. of track for now, and at nearly 200 quid per 10mtrs. new, it will have to wait a while yet. My new ponds side walls and the rocks around it sunk and caved in last week due to all this rain and the over-spill leaking from it :D Just been out and bought some sand and cement to fix it this weekend, so i hope the local TV weather woman was right last night and its going to be dry this wickend:D

• Friendly/supportive 3

Dry and sunny forecast, but tha'll be frozzent deuth - purra pullover on and a thick flat cep, sup plenty 'o hot tay as weel !!!!!!!!!!!!

Get some civil (!!) engineers up from Springs Branch - just had a sken this afternoon - job's nearly finished.

Brit15

• Funny 1

Cheers Mike, nice to know i'm appreciated by some for what i did and my small input for the garden rail hobby, looks like i have a free 15mins' of fame as my old loco' is featured on a poster...looks like it could be a good new show, so i may well go.:) Glad i kept the card templates i made for the cab and saddle tank for it, i do have another tank ready rolled so to speak. Had a peep in my very damp shed yesterday and it stinks!:o I did'nt realise how much stuff i still have left in there, and all those plasticard and coffee stirrer made Green wagons as above are still sat in the old set of drawers. Hopefully i can use them again one day soon at local 16mm meet ups.;) Must get the 'Prisoner' buildings finished one day as well.:rolleyes: 

2019-11-16 11.25.14mh.jpg

2019-11-27_12_34_20.jpg

2019-11-27_12_36_27.jpg

2019-11-27_12_37_01.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1