The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

Bob - outstanding once more. I know you have told us you use car body filler to make the moulds, which is a brilliant idea, but what do you use for the items you make from the moulds? Is it just 3/1 cement or something else? Do you use plasticiser in the mix (or just washing up liquid) or is there some other formula you use?

I ask because I tried following the Jig Stones instructions some years ago (using rubber moulds), plus experimented a bit with other materials (mainly wood, but also car footwell rubber mats), but had a poor success rate with mine. Either the item just cracked when removed, or the indentations from the mould were just a mess on the face of the model. I tried different drying times, changing the mix, using plasticiser, greasing the mould, all that stuff. How do you do it?

Mike! All my rubber-ish molds themselves are made from Car seam/adhesive sealant, i use a brand called 'Tiger' seal  as i've found it to be the best and the most hard waring in the long term. I first make the small wall section or panel from a solid block of car filler and carve it out myself to get the stone/brick and mortar lines etc, i then use this as the master to apply the car sealer all around, having first covered the master in any type of oil, in the past i have used Vasoline, thick hand creams, Veg' oils and car grease....anything to put a barrier on it to stop it sticking, the walls and panels i make are a 50/50 mix of building sand and cement, with a bit of washing up liquid thrown in to ease and smooth out mix, i put reinforcing such as fine metal mesh or alloy mesh inside the larger molds such as the tunnel mouths for added strength. Never rush to remove the items from the molds let them dry out naturally and give them at least two days.  

post-31611-0-50200800-1491725508_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well i can say is that i thoroughly enjoyed myself today in the glorious warm weather, the first time i've had a decent chance to use the line since last Sept'.....days like this are what it's all about! when all the hard work, money and all life's problems are well and truly forgotten! I got my old faithful saddle tank out (first loco i ever built) to be the first to ever run over the new viaduct, and the first ever loco' to run up the gradient from the pit yard to the canal basin, and it made it look easy, it even got up the incline from the pit yard bottom to the coal yard & coal drops two foot above  :O Later it was left running around with various wagons for a few hours non-stop whilst i fettled with a few line side jobs. I did manage to sit back a few times with a brew in one hand and the remote in t'other and happily watch the train pass by....pure heaven! :smoke:

post-31611-0-35675400-1491750280_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-98607200-1491750309_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-50417300-1491750339_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-22043800-1491750367_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-56282100-1491750402_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-58488500-1491750434_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-96314600-1491750468_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-56242200-1491750500_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-16170400-1491750535_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-55646400-1491750571_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-58307900-1491750598_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-23703700-1491750629_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-46965400-1491750695_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-99563400-1491750742_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks David, the tender rarely gets used or seen, it is based on the Blanche style one, so i thought i'd drag it around for laugh yesterday.  Heck of a lot cooler today but it's still dry so i'm going to get some building materials bought today as i still have one tight curve of track i'm not happy with to take up, i'll make a bigger wider radius by laying another row of blocks up against the existing ones and use some leftover new track . Hopefully the longer 0-6-0 visiting locos' won't have any more trouble getting around it....i might as well make the most of the dry spell. 

post-31611-0-00556000-1491810203_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-46706800-1491810226_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Pinzer. I spent Saturday down at P'boro (photos to appear shortly), but I found a few hours yesterday to do a little work and then run some trains. Unfortunately I neglected my camera. I'm sorry!  :sorry:

Mine don't go round in a nice gentle curve they tend to go in short straight bits Idris such is my track laying skills,  :lol: hopefully its well curved enough now to get a 'Lady Anne' sized loco around :nyam: not sure about a Garrett though! :jester:  i've now lost all my line-side planting in that area, as i need to keep it wide enough for access into that triangle to reach over to operate the points for the station! 

• RMweb Gold

Well lots of short straights was realistic for some railways. Once rode on a branch in France where they ran steam at weekends, near Falaise I think, and they ran a 2-8-2 round corners made of straights! The sight of a huge loco lurching sideways at each joint was slightly worrying ;)

• Like 4

Mine don't go round in a nice gentle curve they tend to go in short straight bits Idris such is my track laying skills,  :lol: hopefully its well curved enough now to get a 'Lady Anne' sized loco around :nyam: not sure about a Garrett though! :jester:

A Garrett will be perfect - after all, it's really only two small engines coupled very close together!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mine don't go round in a nice gentle curve they tend to go in short straight bits Idris such is my track laying skills,  :lol: hopefully its well curved enough now to get a 'Lady Anne' sized loco around :nyam: not sure about a Garrett though! :jester:  i've now lost all my line-side planting in that area, as i need to keep it wide enough for access into that triangle to reach over to operate the points for the station! 

Ha! I know that feeling. I invested in a Blizzy Bender for Peco railway, and it has well earned its keep over the last few years. 

Hmm, how about a removable planter? One with handles? 

A Garrett will be perfect - after all, it's really only two small engines coupled very close together!

My prob's would be that the overhang on curves would hit a few rocks and fences that can't now be moved....but i'm not saying its not worth a try though  :smile_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

That's no way to refer to the wife :)

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

The garratts have trouble with tight  curves  This one 4'6" radius

5765712336_e10c4c8394_z.jpgDSCF0893 a by phil, on Flickr

This one 2.6" min

30153824050_a9f0c21ac1_z.jpgIMG_0812 by phil, on Flickr

phil

Cracking pictures Phil. It doesn't surprise me re-what curves they can get round. I suspect a Accucraft NGG16 is probably the same. What/who made the first Garrett? It's not one I recognise.

• Like 2

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Cracking pictures Phil. It doesn't surprise me re-what curves they can get round. I suspect a Accucraft NGG16 is probably the same. What/who made the first Garrett? It's not one I recognise.

Its a peter angus  SAR ngg11 coal fired . Yep the NGG16 are about 4'6" R

Am i being a big Girls blouse in saying i think the size of those loco's scares me to death :no2: or is it just the thought of having to get bigger transport to lug 'em about in? :crazy:  Last of the track laying is now done and ballasted up, so its back to the station building tonight :butcher:

post-31611-0-36997200-1491915786_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-80268100-1491915812_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Flippin Eck! :O

I only went away over the weekend and I've missed pages worth of stuff - really enjoyed seeing the sunny running shots and congrats on getting the civil engineering done on the curve ;)  I bet you think the railway's finished now? (but you should know better - it's never finished :pardon: )

Fantastic stuff !

Hi bob 

some locos are big in 16mm ,you build the line to what suits you  Be it industrial ,rural or mineral .Its your empire .I've been to a few garden empires where I struggled to get a roundhouse Katie round and the pierce  countess impossible .But I came to see the line so it never bothers me if I cannot run my loco on it , I always support the enterprise and endeavour that goes into producing the end product     . I found that with my original 3' 6" curves they were adequate at the time .Now I want 5'radius for bigger locos ,but that was my choice I knew when I bought the ngg11 id have to rebuild .  Phil

Thanks Phil' i originally designed this line just to have simple battery driven 0-4-0 Diesel industrial loco's tootling around and i always wanted to eventually get a small 0-4-0 live steamer, but as Narrow Minded says and as i've learned its never ever finished...and as mi owd Mam used to say to me "Yer eyes are bigger than yer belly"  and i always want that little bit more :smile_mini2: Would love to try something bigger on the MCCLR  :biggrin_mini: I'm hoping to make a start on my steamer project shortly by getting a 'Katie' chassis kit and building it as and when i then can afford to.....a bit at a time, i've already built the cab, saddle tank and buffer beams from brass sheet...its a good start that thankfully did'nt cost me that much either....just time, blooded and burnt fingers. :rolleyes_mini: and i've already got the nameplates made for it, so i have to finish it now! :sungum:

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 4

Cant go wrong with a Katie or billy kit . I have 2 Katie chassis kits to build somat on not decided yet . Thought about a  4-4-0 . I regularly burn my fingers , seems to be an occupational hazard in this scale .We will have to compare war wounds :jester:  We always want a bit more for our empire ,nowt wrong wi that :yes:   Phil

Well i can say is that i thoroughly enjoyed myself today in the glorious warm weather, the first time i've had a decent chance to use the line since last Sept'.....days like this are what it's all about! when all the hard work, money and all life's problems are well and truly forgotten! I got my old faithful saddle tank out (first loco i ever built) to be the first to ever run over the new viaduct, and the first ever loco' to run up the gradient from the pit yard to the canal basin, and it made it look easy, it even got up the incline from the pit yard bottom to the coal yard & coal drops two foot above  :O Later it was left running around with various wagons for a few hours non-stop whilst i fettled with a few line side jobs. I did manage to sit back a few times with a brew in one hand and the remote in t'other and happily watch the train pass by....pure heaven! :smoke:

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 16.47.42.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 17.00.33.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 17.06.11.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 17.10.50.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 17.26.30.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 17.30.33.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 17.32.20.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 17.31.06.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 17.35.46.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 18.25.21.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 18.27.28.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 18.29.28.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 18.53.30.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-11 18.55.44.jpg

To call this finescale in the garden doesn't do it justice, but I am struggling to find a description that does.  Levels of detail, realism, and a subtle, naturalistic and, above all, consistent palette and finish makes these models very compelling.  Again, I feel I could walk between those tracks and climb upon that foot plate.