The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

• RMweb Gold

To call this finescale in the garden doesn't do it justice, but I am struggling to find a description that does.  Levels of detail, realism, and a subtle, naturalistic and, above all, consistent palette and finish makes these models very compelling.  Again, I feel I could walk between those tracks and climb upon that foot plate.   

Will he tempt you outdoors? It is a nice scale to work in.

Don

Edwardian! Go on! Go for it! It do'snt have to be big! A simple oval with a single branch/siding going off to an Edwardian era fishing harbour/quayside village...i can see it all now! and from what i've seen of your work, you are more than qualified to do it  ;)  Just primed up the latest building, it's Hoghton Chapel station, the metal fence is made from old Hamster cage the rest from plastic card, with the wood grain effect scored into it using 80 grade grit paper, the canopy legs around the cage are made from 10mm. x 10mm. wood batten well soaked in super glue, the front canopy legs are plastic and hexagonal in shape and are from a twisty bar thing off an old window blind. The fancy canopy edging and rivet heads are from Cambrian Models. the roof will be done in wriggly tin bean cans, and seeing as i've left the front doors open i'll have to do some interior detail. Must go out today now and get the usual company colours (Humbrol) Cream & Green paint for it.  :senile:

post-31611-0-16167500-1491988175_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-34283100-1491988202_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-49545100-1491988230_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-51555400-1491988259_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks folks! very much appreciated :blush: The paint/primer is a car plastic primer and says its Acrylic Phil' i always warm the spray can up a bit and the building so it sticks on better. I've still got to add some guttering and a few other details, and i'm off to the local combined model/dolls house shop later, its surprising how much Dolls house stuff can be used in this scale. It as been a long time coming and i'm so glad to finally get it out of the bedroom and off swmbo dressing table :no:  :drag:

• Like 1

......   i've now lost all my line-side planting in that area, as i need to keep it wide enough for access into that triangle to reach over to operate the points for the station! 

How about a length of point rodding (bike spoke) from where you can reach, a bell crank (triangle of brass off-cut) and omega link (bit of bent wire) to operate the turnout switch ?

You'd still probably want the "infill" removeable, but only for occasional jobs (or emergencies), but it could stay there the rest of the time and give you the lineside scenery as well as a 'safety net' in case summat takes the curve too fast ??

• Like 1

I thought that was what swmbos dressing table was for ? ,The kitchen worktops as assembly and storage areas???? :O

I agree phil' but they see it different for some reason :jester: i can't remember how many rollockings and clips around the lug hole i've had for ruining 'Her' best scissors, 'Her' best tweezers etc....and did i learn when i spilled a full bottle of plastic weld glue all over the bed covers...no!  'cos after being made to buy new sheets and a duvet i went and did the exact same thing again a month later :laugh: ...i just can't see what the problem is myself :D

How about a length of point rodding (bike spoke) from where you can reach, a bell crank (triangle of brass off-cut) and omega link (bit of bent wire) to operate the turnout switch ?

You'd still probably want the "infill" removeable, but only for occasional jobs (or emergencies), but it could stay there the rest of the time and give you the lineside scenery as well as a 'safety net' in case summat takes the curve too fast ??

Brillaint idea! thanks NM, ;)  i'll get onto it asap....i've plenty of old bike spokes around here

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Aye! NM, i thought i'd waited long enough, so it was time to get mi ass in gear when i saw the Sun up early this morn'  and it was probably more like four months of waiting for the weather to be right than the two i first thought, the bad news is i used one more viaduct section than i thought, some how the outer diam' is longer than the inner lol. ..so i need to get another one done and made for a certain person soon!  :P  Yes! the 'Robey' Neil is a lovely loco' and belongs to a Father & Son team from up the North East, and they know their stuff alright!...and the Son now runs a garden railway wagon making venture called 'Harecroft'...nowt like free ads' so i hope he see's this and gives me some discount.  :good:

Ha ha - just seen your reply, sorry.  They're friends of mine, or the father Michael is, for about 40 years!  I have only more recently met Matt.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They are a great team Neil, shame young Matt is'nt on here sharing all his lovely stuff, hopefully he'll find us or join us one day. ;)

I used to drive at the miniature railway Michael owns, when (much) younger.  I'm a driver at Groudle Glen now!

• Like 1

I'll have to go up and see their railway this year Neil, i'm hoping to get out more this year now i have my own transport and don't have to share it with swmbo anymore :danced: I've been out and at it again dodging the showers and fitted a pair of crossing gates i had left over from the ground level line, they need the posts drilling and the hinges re-hung and there's a lot of painting yet to do. It breaks up the curve and gives better access to the coal yard for wagons :senile: The guttering is back on thanks to NM's advice, and also i've taken note of Idris's brilliant idea and advice and added a barrier at the top of the incline :)

post-31611-0-20630200-1492095833_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-67040600-1492095860_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-50195600-1492095886_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-83569700-1492095926_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-57177900-1492095963_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-81368300-1492095994_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-69496400-1492096022_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 9

Fabulous work O.B. (but the barrier arm seems to have shrunk with the damp weather - or are you going to extend it to meet the support by putting some dowel in the end, or maybe pushing a plastic drinking straw or summat over it?)

As usual, it's looking splendid, even immediately after the work. Mine always looks 'raw' for ages until it's had time to weather in.

Thanks all! Yes NM! the barrier needs extending, i might have a bit more brass tube to push in or over the end somewhere around here and i'll stick a rough blob of car filler on the other end as a counter balance to replicate a lump of concrete. Ah! well the weathering is natural as it was washing the soil and ballast down as i went along in the showers yesterday. Here are three bad pics' of the station painting progress, its now had two coats of both colours and i've a bit of touching up to do here the there ...and a lot of tin cans to cut up for the roof! The colours are Humbrol matt Green 80, and Humbrol satin Cream 71.

post-31611-0-42247100-1492155855_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-37041200-1492155883_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-81773600-1492155913_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Edwardian! Go on! Go for it! It do'snt have to be big! A simple oval with a single branch/siding going off to an Edwardian era fishing harbour/quayside village...i can see it all now! and from what i've seen of your work, you are more than qualified to do it  ;)  Just primed up the latest building, it's Hoghton Chapel station, the metal fence is made from old Hamster cage the rest from plastic card, with the wood grain effect scored into it using 80 grade grit paper, the canopy legs around the cage are made from 10mm. x 10mm. wood batten well soaked in super glue, the front canopy legs are plastic and hexagonal in shape and are from a twisty bar thing off an old window blind. The fancy canopy edging and rivet heads are from Cambrian Models. the roof will be done in wriggly tin bean cans, and seeing as i've left the front doors open i'll have to do some interior detail. Must go out today now and get the usual company colours (Humbrol) Cream & Green paint for it.  :senile:

attachicon.gif2010-01-14 14.36.12.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-14 14.36.22.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-14 14.36.53.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-14 14.37.15.jpg

Now you have got me thinking!

Still, I must stick to the 'one layout at a time' principle, lest my erratic and glacial progress coasts gently into the buffers, there to rest forever.

Good to see how the magic begins with your buildings.  I sincerely hope that it was a redundant hamster cage at the time ....

You're right Edwardian, keep it going on your lovely layout as i'll be waiting to see the final outcome, and as i well know it's very easy to get interested and sidetracked into starting other projects without first finishing the job in hand. You'll be happy to know the Gerbil died of natural causes, but i was hanging around the cage eye-ing it up! and waiting for a few years :D then when it finally snuffed it, i rushed in quick and cut the cage up before swmbo and the Kids had any ideas about getting another Desert Rat. :drag:

Some bad pics' of my steam loco body project, all built i hope to fit onto a Katie chassis, i was able to fully measure a Katie loco' on the Roundhouse stall at the Welshpool and the Elsecar shows last year, and i did measure twice and cut once, but sods law will very probably come to haunt me i've no doubt!  :dontknow:  

post-31611-0-56377700-1492169814_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-71040700-1492169841_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Many thanks Phil' 'cos any help or info' for when i get a bit further on with it will be greatly & gladly needed :biggrin_mini: I won't temp fate but i may be able to buy a complete Katie and maybe one other steam loco' soon! lets say i have a bit of wheeler dealing to do over the next few weeks, and if it all come up trumps i may have a Katie cab and other body parts going spare that you can have if you'll need 'em  ;)  It's one of those typical easter weekends here! wet and blooming miserable so i'm catching up with indoor jobs on my ter-do list today.  :mail: So i'll have summat else to post & bore you all with later no doubt.  :crazy:

• Like 4

I do like wheeler dealin, lookin forward to your next efforts .Yeah rainin ere too ,but it always rains in lancs .had to go to wickes and topps for tiles for the kitchen swimbo couldn't make mind up again so its thinkin time . :nono: And my swmbo to do jobs are getting longer phil

• RMweb Premium

How do you do it Bob?  

Every time I look in at this topic there's loads of new stuff to admire, whether its extended track, new buildings, or "new" scenic features that look like they've been there for years!