GWR Autocoach in 7mm scale from Dapol - livery question

From this Dapol announcement , I have extracted the details of the liveries which are to be available:-

7P-004-001 Auto Coach GWR Crest Chocolate & Cream 

7P-004-002 Auto Coach GWR Twin Cities Crest Chocolate & Cream 

7P-004-003 Auto Coach GWR Shirt Button Chocolate & Cream 

7P-004-004 Auto Coach GWR no insignia Chocolate & Cream 

7P-004-005 Auto Coach BR Crimson  

What period is the "crest, chocolate and cream" livery?

What period is the "twin cities crest, chocolate and cream" livery?

Anyone got a photo of the "twin cities" livery on a Lionheart model?

thank you, Graham 

See http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriescoach1928.html this is probably the twin cities crest.

Thank you, now that I understand that the "twin cities" variant is (probably) representing the 1928 livery then the follow up question is...

Anyone got a photo of the "GWR Crest" livery on a Lionheart model?

Edited by Western Star

Maybe I need to rethink the question...

I want to have an autocoach in the pre-WW1 version of chocolate and cream, this is going to require some re-work of whichever model I purchase.  Which of the Dapol livery versions is the most suitable starting point for recreating the desired livery?

Edited by Western Star

I am no autocoach expert but I believe this type was not introduced until the late twenties. The earliest livery could possibly have been the fully lined out chocolate and cream with the Garter Crest but more likely the twin cities version I sent you earlier.

I am no autocoach expert but I believe this type was not introduced until the late twenties. The earliest livery could possibly have been the fully lined out chocolate and cream with the Garter Crest but more likely the twin cities version I sent you earlier.

Numbers 36-41 were built to Diagram N on Lot 1126, completed by 16 Feb 1907. So all the livery variants could legitimately be applied with the possible exception of BR Maroon as they all went between Feb '56 & Dec '57, except No 38 which survived into preservation via departmental service.

I want to have an autocoach in the pre-WW1 version of chocolate and cream, this is going to require some re-work of whichever model I purchase.  Which of the Dapol livery versions is the most suitable starting point for recreating the desired livery?

Short answer? Probably any of the GW versions*. The modifications needed to bring it into pre-WW1 condition are likely to make a mess of both ends & necessitate a full repaint. Skimming John Lewis' book, the mods would be as follows:—

Remove gong & any representation of mechanism (gongs were a retro-fit prior to A.28 of 1928)

Remove trapezoidal plate above centre window (this acted as a strengthening 'washer' to help clamp the regulator;in position & wasn't fitted as-built);

Remove PCA gear from luggage end (fitted between Feb. 1928 & Apr. 1930)

Prior to Aug. 1928 the small saloon was Smoking & the large Non-Smoking, so any indications of this would need to be removed & reversed.

The numbers would have to come off too, as for your era they had the 'No' prefix, & the white line on the glass was a later development .

*The end windows will need to be fitted & clear. One photo I found of the Lionheart version shows the top 17" glass painted black as per official instructions 10/1935.

Pete S.

• Like 2

Short answer? Probably any of the GW versions. The modifications needed to bring it into pre-WW1 condition are likely to make a mess of both ends & necessitate a full repaint.

Pete S.

Thank you Pete,

I should have asked you first...

regards, Graham

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

With models in hand I can now see why I was confused by the Dapol (and agents) advertising.  The version which is described as "7P-004-001 Auto Coach GWR Crest Chocolate & Cream" is actually GWR Chocolate and Cream with Garter and Supporters...  which is the 1922-1927 livery.

Edited by Western Star

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't found a thread, other than this, on this coach which I find surprising.  There's usually a lot of froth and righteous indignation about upcoming models.  I'm wondering about the apparent need for a sound decoder - what could that be for?  The dinger at the driving end?

John

It has slipped into the stores earlier than expected which may explain the lack of comment and magazine reviews. Which is a shame, as it's a magnificent model at a groundbreaking price. The official photos really don't do it justice.

The sound version provides guard whistles, doors closing, bell signals etc.

Edited by dpgibbons

Thanks DPG.  My friend wants to get one.  The delta price between basic and sound equipped seems quite high, not sure it's worth it.  Anyone got the sound version?  Is there an aftermarket sound file to fit later if the basic model is purchased now?

John

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but does anyone know how long the 1922-27 coach livery lasted?  Would I be right in thinking branch line coaches weren't high priority for repainting and the old livery lasted into the 1930s? Could you run them with more modern liveries in a model set in say 1935?