Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium

My office this evening:

40936050223_98e27d297e_b.jpgSouthern Class 313/2 313201 Portsmouth & Southsea 21/5/19 by John Upton, on Flickr

Parked nose to nose with:

47850466422_baab35faf3_b.jpgSouth Western Railway Class 450/5 450553 Portsmouth & Southsea 21/5/19 by John Upton, on Flickr

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Some really interesting pictures there. Don't worry about quality...prints in particular fade and don't always scan brilliantly. What is more important is the subject; day-to-day normality...plus some Jaffa cake livery :)

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Cher M. Claude,

Thank you for your kind reassurances.  Hoped you liked the E.M.U. shots.  I am never quite sure what I am doing, but glad the info. is of interest to others.  Classes 33, 47, and 73 to follow as time allows.  Best wishes to you all.

Edited by C126
I think I used wrong gender for title.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, C126 said:

1280, Brighton, May, 1988.  S76667 nearest camera

Nicely caught 1280, appears to be an odd VEP-CIG hybrid unit, with the VEP coach in blue-grey and the rest in Network SE toothpaste colours.

Various online sources have 1280 as being involved in the Purley crash in 1989 - is it possible your photo is later than 1988, i.e. reformed from non-crash-damaged vehicles?

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Nicely caught 1280, appears to be an odd VEP-CIG hybrid unit, with the VEP coach in blue-grey and the rest in Network SE toothpaste colours.

Various online sources have 1280 as being involved in the Purley crash in 1989 - is it possible your photo is later than 1988, i.e. reformed from non-crash-damaged vehicles?

Dear eastwestdivide and colleagues,

Thanks for your query, and sorry to cause confusion.  I have just checked the print and negs, and am pretty confident it was taken between 6th and 16th May, 1988.  The film envelope tendering date is 31st May, and there are two definitively dated pictures either side of this neg.  I did make notes of the composition and liveries at the time:

S76667, "1280", "4-VEP".  Blue/grey.  Small NSE sticker on 1st class section of coach, presumably at waist height.

62368, New NSE livery.  Guard's compartment nearest centre of formation.

71048, New NSE livery.  TSO (Is this the correct designation?  Hope it makes sense.)

76801, New NSE livery, "4-CIG".  Big NSE sticker on Std class section of coach.  1st class compartments behind Std class compartment behind cab.

Hope this helps.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Eastleigh this afternoon, as a pair of Class 444s head north. A selection of motive power sits in the yard, including examples of Class 60, 66 and 70.

P1290889.JPG

Who says there's no interest and variety in todays railway? This pic has it all; junctions, yards, freight stock, engineering stock, locos, units, track maintenance vehicles and infrastructure. Great pic.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 23/05/2019 at 12:02, C126 said:

Cher M. Claude,

Thank you for your kind reassurances.  Hoped you liked the E.M.U. shots.  I am never quite sure what I am doing, but glad the info. is of interest to others.  Classes 33, 47, and 73 to follow as time allows.  Best wishes to you all.

Thanks for these excellent pictures, especially the one of 009 the De-Icer unit. Pictures of these are relatively rare and this contains some useful detail, so thanks again.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Networker heaven (?) at Strood.

In 2009, passing the site of the goods yard on the left, and about to enter the former canal tunnel

1359881886_Strood2009.jpg.afebc7213d5cfb8e5ddb8f197b49fed8.jpg

and 2011, the Maidstone train's about to depart as the Gillingham-Charing Cross comes in - the connection from Gillingham isn't timetabled, as there will have been a Javelin a few mins before the Charing Cross. The station's been rebuilt since then, with a footbridge over the far end of the platforms, and the Gillingham-Charing Cross service is now replaced by a Thameslink between Rainham and mostly Luton.

1475155959_Strood2011.jpg.d6f24e465a902c6f136ec3b22af26d6e.jpg

• Like 16