Third-Rail EMU Photos

Thank you to those that replied to my query about the yellow wraparound on the blue/grey 313.

I'd forgotten about the chamfered corners on that generation of units and of course that makes for an obvious edge to the colour. Just seeing the side-on view made it look a little odd, at least for me.

20 hours ago, Red Fox said:

The 444's are in the process of getting the same 2+2 First Class seats, about half the fleet are done now.

What I didn't like about the 444 first class was invariably having to travel backwards when the DMCO was leading (which it usually was in the up direction).  If the majority of 1st class seats remain in that orientation on the 444 then having 2+2 seating will be even worse.  The 442 appears to have roughly equal numbers facing each way which I see as an improvement. 

Edited by DY444

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DY444 said:

What I didn't like about the 444 first class was invariably having to travel backwards when the DMCO was leading (which it usually was in the up direction).  If the majority of 1st class seats remain in that orientation on the 444 then having 2+2 seating will be even worse.  The 442 appears to have roughly equal numbers facing each way which I see as an improvement. 

Equal numbers of forward and reverse seating and four tables with wireless charging points in the new 444 First Class section.  Best legroom on the train though is the new airline seats in the enlarged standard section in the same coach.

Edited by Red Fox

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

411500 leaves Victoria...

1500 (it still looks wrong to me having 6-digit unit numbers on the SR!) is the former 7153, the prototype refurbishment, which retained sliding window vents rather than the hopper windows of the series refurbishment.

I'd agree, it wasn't a bad livery at all. Some got adorned with '1066 Electrics' under the cab windows - see http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class411_2.html

• Agree 1

I know exactly what you mean about 4-figure SR unit numbers, but with my spotting days going back 60 years I had to do the 6-figure thing in order to try and keep the 4-REPs separate from the refurbished 4-VEPs in later years (for example). I had trouble with the original PUL/PAN/BEL units; but because I didn't see many of those, the problem was not too bad. 

The semgonline website is good, but I find that a mine of detailed information can also be found at https://www.bloodandcustard.com

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I know exactly what you mean about 4-figure SR unit numbers, but with my spotting days going back 60 years I had to do the 6-figure thing in order to try and keep the 4-REPs separate from the refurbished 4-VEPs in later years (for example). I had trouble with the original PUL/PAN/BEL units; but because I didn't see many of those, the problem was not too bad. 

The semgonline website is good, but I find that a mine of detailed information can also be found at https://www.bloodandcustard.com

Agreed.  My brain is hard wired with the original numbering of all the SR EP stock and even 30+ years after it started to change I still can't get my head round a CEP, BEP, CIG, BIG or VEP with a number that doesn't start with a 7. :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Edited by DY444
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

If it helps, on quite a few occasions I have had internal messages where the 377s and 313s have been referred to by the last four digits only.

Thus the 7xxx and 3xxx series still exist, in spirit at least...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

...and in that spirit here are 3213 and 3211 in Bognor, 3213 being my office since five this morning!

3-NOL rather than 4-CAP though... :D

20190615_090011.jpg

20190615_090022.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

...and in that spirit here are 3213 and 3211 in Bognor, 3213 being my office since five this morning!

3-NOL rather than 4-CAP though... :D

Your photos remind me what a nice clean design the 313/314/315/507/508 front end is.  The internal saloon layout appears to be a bit of an afterthought, but externally BR's team did a good job.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Your photos remind me what a nice clean design the 313/314/315/507/508 front end is.  The internal saloon layout appears to be a bit of an afterthought, but externally BR's team did a good job.

It has to be said the redone interior of our Southern 313's with the three by two seating replaced by high backed two by two seats is a lot better than the Great Northern ones which seem to have seen little attention since NSE days.

(This is 3212 by the way, I changed units after my break. Still shuttling to and from Bognor though!)

20190615_102421.jpg

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, jonny777 said:

411500 leaves Victoria on 16th July 1988. These units often worked boat trains from Victoria. Another uid member of the class is at the platform on the left. I liked the Jaffa cake livery, and thought it looked good on the 411s and 309s. It was a shame (to me anyway) when NSE repainted them. 

1426574504_411500vic16788.jpg.733b4368212c21e4c20297add356b163.jpg

If that's a cropped image - you might be able to ID that unit as they had the unit number on the solebar just below the cab

5 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

If that's a cropped image - you might be able to ID that unit as they had the unit number on the solebar just below the cab

...following SR(ailway) practice whereby the Steam passenger stock had the set number they were running in painted on left-hand end of the solebar of each vehicle in the set.

An alternative would be a glimpse of the coach side the other side of the driver's door where the coach running number would be...

Edited by talisman56
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I managed one and a half shuttles on the blue one this morning, then it broke down (again!)

Southern Class 313/2 313201 Littlehampton 26/6/19

You really must learn to treat it more gently! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quite unworthy of the quality of pictures usually posted, but I thought I would share a couple of mediocre shots of 313 201 from Saturday, 10th August, at Lewes and Brighton respectively.  Made my day, even if I did not have time to compose anything a little more 'arty'.  You can not have too much B.R. blue and yellow...

PICT1826.JPG

PICT1830.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

While out just missing 3x37s passing on their way to Portsmouth on Saturday, I got a few shots from the footpath bridge just West of Woking Junction and overlooking the new sidings, fully occupied at the weekend.

IMG_3614.JPG.4560f7dfc0d233c47cf22979da1995ca.JPG

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

A rose between two thorns at South Croydon.

P1330438.JPG

That is reeeaaallly stretching the analogy ……………………….. now a 4-SUB however ……………… good picture though - shame about the usual NR access point scrapyard in foreground ………………… 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/08/2019 at 20:01, C126 said:

Quite unworthy of the quality of pictures usually posted, but I thought I would share a couple of mediocre shots of 313 201 from Saturday, 10th August, at Lewes and Brighton respectively.  Made my day, even if I did not have time to compose anything a little more 'arty'.  You can not have too much B.R. blue and yellow...

PICT1826.JPG

PICT1830.JPG

Seen again approaching Bishopstone on 18.8.2019. I had just been to a History Event, organized by the Friends of Bishopstone Station. I had hoped that the interior of the fortified upper floor of the station building would be accessible, but it was not. There was a good display of photographs, plans and documents, sourced from the Seaford and Newhaven Museums, the county archive at Falmer and local historian Kevin Gordon.

313201 Bishopstone 18 8 2019.jpg

• Like 17