Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Davexoc said:

That trackwork should be in a prototype for everything. The second point on the right should have been a righthander, but all that was available was a Y...

From the components, you can build a turnout whichever way you like, until you bolt the chairs to the timbers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Davexoc said:

That trackwork should be in a prototype for everything. The second point on the right should have been a righthander, but all that was available was a Y...

It's probably been like that since the last revision to the yard, which I believe was between 1975-1981.  Unless the odd bits of rail which seem to be scattered in the four foot are indicative of some later piecemeal replacement. 

As you hint, you can just imagine some 'know it all' saying loudly at an exhibition "You'd never see track laid like that on the real railway".

• Agree 2

On 18/09/2019 at 18:56, Northmoor said:

Most liveries grow on me after a while.  This one isn't.

I don't particularly follow the railway scene in the South and East of the country, but don't you find all these "Janet and John go painting" colour schemes horrible? No class, like the old Big Four, no obvious class designation, like the yellow/red stripes on BR blue vehicles. And the ultimate insult? Painting doors a different colour so you can see them! All designed by five year-olds with crayons!

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, malcolmcelyn said:

And the ultimate insult? Painting doors a different colour so you can see them!

OK, I'll bite. A requirement to help the partially-sighted. Also useful to the fully-sighted to distinguish staff doors from passenger doors as on the Thameslink train two posts above.

• Agree 5

Painting doors a different colour isn't something that is restricted to and only occurs in the South East. My understanding is that it is a requirement to assist visually disabled passengers.

And lairy 'janet and john' liveries can be found on trains all over the country - not just limited to those in the SE.

Plus there have been class distinction identifiers recently used since BR. For example SWTs used a line of blue dots (rather than a yellow stripe) to indicate first class.

Edited by grahame

33 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

OK, I'll bite. A requirement to help the partially-sighted. Also useful to the fully-sighted to distinguish staff doors from passenger doors as on the Thameslink train two posts above.

Ok, so people managed for years with doors being the same colour as the body, but I guess that's "progress"! 

And lairy 'janet and john' liveries can be found on trains all over the country - not just limited to those in the SE.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear - I wasn't trying to imply that it's only in the SE, it's just that most of the images in this post were from that area. The fact you used the word "lairy" sort of backs up how I feel!

Plus there have been class distinction identifiers recently used since BR. For example SWTs used a line of blue dots (rather than a yellow stripe) to indicate first class.

I wasn't aware of that, but perhaps I'm bemoaning the 'universal' indication of the yellow or red stripe.

So that's two people at least who disagree! Is it a 'generational' thing? Or am I just an old fuddy-duddy? 

(P.S. The GWR green livery with gold accent strip - nee lining - is quite good. Rather more restrained than many others!)

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

16 minutes ago, malcolmcelyn said:

Ok, so people managed for years with doors being the same colour as the body, but I guess that's "progress"!

You're spot on, it IS progress. If it makes travelling easier for just a handful of visually impaired folk, it's a very good thing. The fact that it offends your aesthetic pleasure is of no consequence to anyone at all, sorry!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, malcolmcelyn said:

Ok, so people managed for years with doors being the same colour as the body, but I guess that's "progress"!  ...

You've hit the nail on the head there, it is progress, without the quote marks.

Just like the greater availability of ramps, lifts etc for the less mobile, doors that no longer require physical origami to lean through the window to open from outside when you're inside, toilets that don't splash unmentionables all over the trackside, PA announcements on the train of the next station backed up with a visual display... 

On the other hand, I'd agree that a universal indicator (like the yellow stripe) for first class might be useful in what's meant to be a single network, but even that's rendered partly unnecessary by platform indicators which show you where on the platform the first class (and second) will be (at least in theory!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

You're spot on, it IS progress. If it makes travelling easier for just a handful of visually impaired folk, it's a very good thing. The fact that it offends your aesthetic pleasure is of no consequence to anyone at all, sorry!

I accept that it is progress to help visually handicapped people (or should that be visually impaired?), but wether my aesthetic pleasure is thereby impaired is of consequence. That's what the post was about - aesthetics. Yes, of course disability awareness is important; but I was approaching it from a purely 'visual' viewpoint. Sorry if people find that offensive. It was meant to prompt a discussion on the merits of 'old' versus 'new' liveries.

4 minutes ago, malcolmcelyn said:

I accept that it is progress to help visually handicapped people (or should that be visually impaired?), but wether my aesthetic pleasure is thereby impaired is of consequence. That's what the post was about - aesthetics. Yes, of course disability awareness is important; but I was approaching it from a purely 'visual' viewpoint. Sorry if people find that offensive. It was meant to prompt a discussion on the merits of 'old' versus 'new' liveries.

I didn't find your post offensive, but it did seem to be written without any knowledge of the reason for the door colours, hence my original reply by way of explanation.

Anyway, perhaps it's time to drag things back to nice pics of 3rd rail EMUs, colourful or otherwise.

Have a 4-CEP formation on a fast service at Tonbridge overtaking a 4-VEP on a stopper from Ashford in 1984:84-15-23.jpg.8c89baf0cf34168e80751240bbf677f9.jpg

• Like 18

54 minutes ago, malcolmcelyn said:

Sorry, I wasn't too clear - I wasn't trying to imply that it's only in the SE, it's just that most of the images in this post were from that area. The fact you used the word "lairy" sort of backs up how I feel!

Plus there have been class distinction identifiers recently used since BR. For example SWTs used a line of blue dots (rather than a yellow stripe) to indicate first class.

I wasn't aware of that, but perhaps I'm bemoaning the 'universal' indication of the yellow or red stripe.

So that's two people at least who disagree! Is it a 'generational' thing? Or am I just an old fuddy-duddy? 

(P.S. The GWR green livery with gold accent strip - nee lining - is quite good. Rather more restrained than many others!)

Yep, it certainly sounds like you might be a fuddy duddy. But I doubt it is generational thing - I'm old enough to remember steam trains in service when the liveries were generally unattractive and dull, dreary and often dirty IMO.

Of course the majority of images are from the SE. That is where the majority of third rail EMUs run and that is what the thread is about.

Identification strips may have been used around the country but were probably not universal and probably not understood by a great many passengers. Do you know what a roof level wide red stripe meant? A lot of passengers didn't.

And 'lairy' doesn't back up how you feel - it means ostentatiously attractive and flashy. It's quite possible that is how some TOCs would like to present themselves. It doesn't mean designed by 'five year olds with crayons'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, malcolmcelyn said:

I think it would be fairer to say that quite a number of visually impaired people struggled, rather than managed, with doors being the same colour as the body. And indeed, that is progress!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grahame said:

Yep, it certainly sounds like you might be a fuddy duddy. But I doubt it is generational thing - I'm old enough to remember steam trains in service when the liveries were generally unattractive and dull, dreary and often dirty IMO.

Of course the majority of images are from the SE. That is where the majority of third rail EMUs run and that is what the thread is about.

Identification strips may have been used around the country but were probably not universal and probably not understood by a great many passengers. Do you know what a roof level wide red stripe meant? A lot of passengers didn't.

And 'lairy' doesn't back up how you feel - it means ostentatiously attractive and flashy. It's quite possible that is how some TOCs would like to present themselves. It doesn't mean designed by 'five year olds with crayons'.

Ouch!

28 minutes ago, iands said:

I think it would be fairer to say that quite a number of visually impaired people struggled, rather than managed, with doors being the same colour as the body. And indeed, that is progress!

I'm not disagreeing, but was trying to compare older paint schemes with modern ones. I wasn't trying to make a point against visually impaired people at all, although it looks like I was a bit unsuccessful at that. My apologies for any offence caused. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, malcolmcelyn said:

My apologies for any the offence caused. 

Corrected your post for you.  No thanks required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

I didn't find your post offensive, but it did seem to be written without any knowledge of the reason for the door colours, hence my original reply by way of explanation.

Thanks, thats how I took it.

I was just trying to initiate a discussion on the merits of livery, not offending people.

5 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Corrected your post for you.  No thanks required.

Thanks? That's rather presumptuous of you. I had already apologised to ANY one who was offended. Not all were. 

I wanted to hear peoples opinions on livery. Seems I've made a mess of that and have said Sorry for that.

13 minutes ago, malcolmcelyn said:

I wanted to hear peoples opinions on livery. Seems I've made a mess of that and have said Sorry for that.

So it seems.

If you wanted to initiate discussion about liveries and to hear people opinions about them it might have been better to ask what people thought rather than launch in to a negative rant about modern liveries and potentially put their backs up. It probably wasn't the best way to introduce yourself to the thread.

If you prefer older more restrained liveries put forward the reasons why and some points in favour of them. Being critical about modern liveries gives the impression you'd prefer an argument rather than any meaningful discourse.

Now that you've apologized perhaps we can start again.

17 minutes ago, grahame said:

So it seems.

If you wanted to initiate discussion about liveries and to hear people opinions about them it might have been better to ask what people thought rather than launch in to a negative rant about modern liveries and potentially put their backs up. It probably wasn't the best way to introduce yourself to the thread.

If you prefer older more restrained liveries put forward the reasons why and some points in favour of them. Being critical about modern liveries gives the impression you'd prefer an argument rather than any meaningful discourse.

Now that you've apologized perhaps we can start again.

Thank you.

Many of the new liveries are good but the liveries specified by the DFT are  boring, I like the Trans Pennine colours on the new loco hauled units they convey a dynamic feel and are good to look at.Deciding on a livery is a difficult project and has to be delivered in a manner that brings cudos to the TOC sometimes it goes wrong as in the gold of West Midlands but at least we have a colourful railway.Think back to BR  blue was the colour with cream as a relief on some stock this was done to save money and give a corporate livery who is to say what it would be now if BR still existed.