Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Hard to believe now but isn't that taken in a changeover period between generations of EMU? The BB unit must have been approaching withdrawal, while the VEP must have been almost new.

Taken during a “rolling stock exhibition” according to the description on its original Flickr page, but no date given by the photographer.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The bus is Southdown 813 (UF 4813) which is still on their books (Stagecoach South now though), usually parked in Chichester Garage when not wandering very slowly about.

Stagecoach Southdown 19913 (UF 4813) Chichester 31/5/14

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

The bus is Southdown 813 (UF 4813) which is still on their books

It very occasionally ventured forth on local services.  One summer season some years ago now (1976?) it plodded sedately up and down Worthing sea front every hour on a special service 222 between the Pier and George V Avenue roundabout.  Complete with white-coated driver and a conductor issuing period-style tickets rather than the more normal Setright or Almex of the day.  

Meanwhile here is something altogether newer.  A trio of class 707 units rest their wheels in Strawberry Hill depot at 21.00 this evening.  Taken from a public road.  

IMG_4141.jpeg

• Like 13

18 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Hard to believe now but isn't that taken in a changeover period between generations of EMU? The BB unit must have been approaching withdrawal, while the VEP must have been almost new.

As Oldddudders said, the 'VEP' is a 'CIG'.

IIRC there was an 'Open Day' at Brighton station sometime in 1971 at which various railway rolling stock and road transport were displayed. The 'BEL' would have had less than 12 months left in service - it was outshopped in Blue/Grey livery at the end of May 1969 and would be withdrawn with its two sister units after thir last day in service on Sunday 30 April 1972. The CIG would be approximately 7 years old.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, talisman56 said:

As Oldddudders said, the 'VEP' is a 'CIG'.

IIRC there was an 'Open Day' at Brighton station sometime in 1971 at which various railway rolling stock and road transport were displayed. The 'BEL' would have had less than 12 months left in service - it was outshopped in Blue/Grey livery at the end of May 1969 and would be withdrawn with its two sister units after thir last day in service on Sunday 30 April 1972. The CIG would be approximately 7 years old.

Thanks both, I went by memory of the unit numbers (wrong, obviously) instead of looking at the number of door hinges, which would be a giveaway for a VEP.

13 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Meanwhile here is something altogether newer.  A trio of class 707 units rest their wheels in Strawberry Hill depot at 21.00 this evening.  Taken from a public road.  

Lovely shot, all the better for being at twilight so the units' interior lighting shows up.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2020 at 17:33, montyburns56 said:

Brighton

SX 421 7313           5 BEL 3053

Great photo.

As that's a Phase-1 Cig, would be interesting to know the date of the photo, as i've been trying to determine when the Phase-1's were repainted into Blue and Grey. I'm going to be building a 4-Cig, and was planning on painting into Green, with my layout set around about the 1969-71 period, so wondering if the green livery would be too late. I really don't fancy have to paint into Blue & Grey.....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

As that's a Phase-1 Cig, would be interesting to know the date of the photo, as i've been trying to determine when the Phase-1's were repainted into Blue and Grey. I'm going to be building a 4-Cig, and was planning on painting into Green, with my layout set around about the 1969-71 period, so wondering if the green livery would be too late. I really don't fancy have to paint into Blue & Grey.....

Phase 1 4Cig and 4Big units appeared in blue/grey from the mid 1960s. While they were delivered in green with small yellow panels many or most were repainted b/g at first overhaul so within six years of first delivery.  Only a couple of units hung on with green after their initial C1 which IIRC were 7303 (because it has the experimental wrap-round full yellow end extending to behind the cab vestibule doors) and 7331.  As every I am happy to be corrected on matters of fact because my notes are long gone and it is 50 years or more since I saw a green 4Cig other than the Lymington repaint.  

There was a paint change which first became apparent when the Phase 2 4Cig / 4Big units appeared.  The yellow used for the ends changed from a lemon shade (akin to the current SWR  version though not quite that light) to a custard shade as seen on both thee units in this image.  That suggests the 4Cig has had a second repaint as it appears to have the custard shade although this could be normal colour rendering and degradation from what would have been a film / slide original.  

I cannot quickly trace the event or therefore the date but the Belle coach looks to be in rather poor condition so likely to have been very late in its life.  I did look into whether it might have been displayed in the station post-withdrawal but it seems not so we may infer that the unit was still in traffic.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

At some point Natalie posted repaint dates on here. If I have transcribed these dates correctly:

7301 - 17/3/70

7302 - 26/10/70

7303 (was wraparound) 12-6-70

7304 - 12/8/70

7320 - 29/9/70

7323 - 18/5/70

7327 - 10/2/70

7331 - 17/4/70

7334 - 5/1/70

A couple of others were repainted "by dates in 1970" . If your rmweb searching skills are good, I recommend searching this site for Natalie's post.

Reading my notes, the following definitely had full yellow ends when last in green: 7301, 7303, 7304. That implies that the others had small yellow panels until they were repainted to blue-grey.

ĸen

• Thanks 1

On 08/06/2020 at 13:44, Gwiwer said:

I cannot quickly trace the event or therefore the date but the Belle coach looks to be in rather poor condition so likely to have been very late in its life.  I did look into whether it might have been displayed in the station post-withdrawal but it seems not so we may infer that the unit was still in traffic.  

Apart from a late railtour operated by 3053 in early May, the Belle units were stripped of their electrics and other reusable items and sold off for reuse relatively quickly, compared with other units withdrawn about that time, which tended to lie about in various places (Gatwick South down sidings, Ford, Barnham, etc) accumulating dirt and damage before being towed to Selhurst for stripping and despatch to their final destination, so the picture is prior to the end of April 1972.

Looking at other details on the end of the CIG, I notice a 'Class 421/?' sticker and a 'BTON' allocation sticker. As the latter was a very recent innovation (formal stock allocations were listed as 'new' in an appendix dated April 1972 in my 'revised editon' Mallaband 'Electrical Multiple Units of BR' 1972), I am minded to revise my remembrance of the event and redate it to the last Sunday of 'Belle' service, 30 April 1972. This was a celebration event and I wouldn't have been surprised to see the appearance in it of various 'period' features.

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

For anyone interested in seeing a new class 701 for South Western Railway, the first one to be delivered 701002, should be heading to Eastleigh courtesy of some GBRf traction today.

Timings here;

6X20, 10.54 Derby Adtranz Litchurch Lane to Eastleigh T&RSMD (18.56).

Link to video from South Western Railway showing the set on the move here:

South Western Railway video on their Twitter feed.

Edited by 4630
To add video link
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 4630 said:

For anyone interested in seeing a new class 701 for South Western Railway, the first one to be delivered 701002, should be heading to Eastleigh courtesy of some GBRf traction today.

Timings here;

6X20, 10.54 Derby Adtranz Litchurch Lane to Eastleigh T&RSMD (18.56).

See earlier passing Deepcut:

IMG_5320_edited.jpg.161c8893be2ef0c88b53fac7947d6cd8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

701002 arrived at Eastleigh in failing light but was photographed by numerous socially-distanced observers.  To the annoyance of those on Campbell Road bridge it didn't go to the depot but rather to the works.  Some were aware of this and managed to photograph it; others waited in vain on the bridge only to watch it turn off as it approached.  

I can't reproduce the photos as they are not mine and I don't have permission but doubtless they will turn up somewhere fairly soon.  Currently my access is via private email.  

Any offers on the "SR-style" classification?  The 442s became known as 5-Wes (Wessex) and the 458/5 as 5-Jop (Juniper Open Plan) so maybe 10-Pop (Plug-door Open Plan) for these?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

701002 arrived at Eastleigh in failing light but was photographed by numerous socially-distanced observers.  To the annoyance of those on Campbell Road bridge it didn't go to the depot but rather to the works.  Some were aware of this and managed to photograph it; others waited in vain on the bridge only to watch it turn off as it approached.  

Thanks for the information on its final destination.  I was puzzled when I saw the schedule this morning for it to finish at Eastleigh T&RSMD.  My first thought was that it’s a bit risky putting it there and that the Works site would be far more secure. 

Edited by 4630

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Any offers on the "SR-style" classification?  The 442s became known as 5-Wes (Wessex) and the 458/5 as 5-Jop (Juniper Open Plan) so maybe 10-Pop (Plug-door Open Plan) for these?

How about 10-Lop as in Late on parade (or Late open plan)?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, grahame said:

Is this another class with incredibly austere passenger accommodation? If so then perhaps;

10-RHS - rock hard seating or

10-IBS - ironing board seats

I was wondering how new trains could be blamed for Irritable Bowel Syndrome......

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I was wondering how new trains could be blamed for Irritable Bowel Syndrome......

14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

All that bouncing up and down on the rock hard seats...

Darius

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 09/06/2020 at 02:24, zarniwhoop said:

At some point Natalie posted repaint dates on here. 

A couple of others were repainted "by dates in 1970" . If your rmweb searching skills are good, I recommend searching this site for Natalie's post.

I think the above may be the relevant thread that you refer to.

I just point out that none of the dates listed are my own work? They were kindly sent to me by John Atkinson who is one of the writers on the excellent bloodandcustard  site which is highly recommended if you are interested in the units shown here- and why wouldn't you be! As yet the CIGs and BIGs have not been covered on the site but are 'in preparation.'

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Natalie said:

I think the above may be the relevant thread that you refer to.

I just point out that none of the dates listed are my own work? They were kindly sent to me by John Atkinson who is one of the writers on the excellent bloodandcustard  site which is highly recommended if you are interested in the units shown here- and why wouldn't you be! As yet the CIGs and BIGs have not been covered on the site but are 'in preparation.'

Weird that it should be a link to a thread that I first started as well. :-) Must be memory fade, as i'd forgotten about that.

And I must also add my ringing endorsement for the bloodandcustard site as well. Such a wealth of information in one place.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Natalie said:

John Atkinson ..... is one of the writers on the excellent bloodandcustard  site which is highly recommended if you are interested in the units shown here

A superb go-to reference compiled over a considerable period of time by John (also using the records of others) who also acts as the Southern Electric Group's archivist.  My bold.  Links included.  

As a youngster I recall we "collected" paint dates as an alternative to unit numbers once we had seen everything in the local area.  And because that was the green - blue transition with some units also emerging in blue-grey so there was added interest.  My records were never particularly complete and were disposed of many years ago.  I felt they were of little value and was obliged to slim down my paperwork substantially when moving from home to student digs.  

I have seen a suggestion made that the 701s be known as 5-SAM and 10-SAM (Suburban Aventra Multiple-unit) which gives the option for MAM units if later classes are ordered for main0line duty.  The 701s are for the greater-suburban area including Waterloo - Windsor / Weybridge via Hounslow / Reading and Waterloo - Guildford stoppers via all routes.  As such they will cover former 2-Bil and 4-Cor territory in addition to the more traditional suburban areas once served by the various Sub and EPB units.  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1