Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The name "Arterio" has been given to this class, derived from "Arterial", and first appeared at the formal launch using 701004 on 23/08/20.  It appears in bronze decals on the darker livery colour making it hard to see and harder to photograph so apologies for the reflections.  

Surely only up trains should be Arterio, with down trains formed of Veino units and perhaps Lympho for empty stock workings?

• Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Surely only up trains should be Arterio, with down trains formed of Veino units and perhaps Lympho for empty stock workings?

Other way around, surely?  

Arterio going away from the heart (i.e. Down) and Veino returning (Up).  

But yes, a good effort there.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Other way around, surely?  

Arterio going away from the heart (i.e. Down) and Veino returning (Up).  

But yes, a good effort there.  

I was thinking of the poor bl***y corpuscles going up in the morning bright eyed and fully oxygenated (ha!) and returning depleted in the evening.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Funny 8

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Wow, remember when services into Waterloo only needed two coaches?

Yes.  About six hours ago ;)  

Many are still very lightly loaded under the present circumstances and whilst it may not permit the one-per-seat which many now feel is the rule a 2-car train would certainly be enough.  Windsor-side services were frequently a 2-EPB alone off-peak on Hounslow Loop services and sometimes to Windsor too.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Wow, remember when services into Waterloo only needed two coaches?

In more recent times Southern ran single class 456s into its London termini.  Everyone remembers the South London Line services between Victoria and London Bridge but there were periods when single 456s were also diagrammed on other services into London, some off peak Victoria to Sutton trains was one example.  

Edited by DY444
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, bude_branch said:

Alton 1973

535511137_012-Neg010-003.jpg.120a43fceeaa03ddd9f792d0f9e9a8aa.jpg

Apart from the yellow end applied to 2-BIL No 2060 not a lot has changed at Alton since electrification on 4th July 1937.

It's not 1973.  The last BILs ran in public service in 1971 and Blood & Custard has 2060 withdrawn on 4/4/1970

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, DY444 said:

It's not 1973.  The last BILs ran in public service in 1971 and Blood & Custard has 2060 withdrawn on 4/4/1970

I'm sure you're probably right.

There are three things that I now regret:  (1) not keeping a diary, (2) not taking a camera to work every day, and (3) not keeping a record of the photographs I took.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I'm afraid it's too late now.

Edited by bude_branch
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, bude_branch said:

A few detail shots taken at West Kirby that may, or may not, be useful to any interested modellers.

Health & Safety, what's that?  Got to love a bank of exposed circuit breakers just next to the drivers' head.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Health & Safety, what's that?  Got to love a bank of exposed circuit breakers just next to the drivers' head.....

ISTR some early EMUs had something called an Arc Chute Cover, widely regarded as a great place to light your fag.... I bet someone can tell us more. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR some early EMUs had something called an Arc Chute Cover, widely regarded as a great place to light your fag.... I bet someone can tell us more. 

Southern motormen of the 1920s and 1930s were apparently accustomed to hearing alarming electrical bangs right behind them sometimes accompanied by a flash especially as the power was shut off.  That persisted into the sixties on stock dating from the 30s which had equipment cabinets right behind the driving position.

• Agree 1

On 01/10/2020 at 19:27, bude_branch said:

It doesn't seem that long ago the 503's were replaced by the 508's.

Thanks for putting all these 503 pictures up, bude_branch.  I found them really interesting as I'm building an 0 gauge layout based on West Kirby.  Unfortunately, there's no 3rd rail as there are no models of 503s available in 7mm (up to now, anyway!!)

I've saved the pics, though - just in case!!  I am toying with the idea of surplus SR high density EMUs being transferred North so a third rail might appear!!

Rod

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

Thanks for putting all these 503 pictures up, bude_branch.  I found them really interesting as I'm building an 0 gauge layout based on West Kirby.  Unfortunately, there's no 3rd rail as there are no models of 503s available in 7mm (up to now, anyway!!)

I've saved the pics, though - just in case!!  I am toying with the idea of surplus SR high density EMUs being transferred North so a third rail might appear!!

Rod

rue d'Etropal / Recreations 21 has done Mersey Electrics as 3D prints.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

Rod

Hi Rod,

I've been following your layout with great interest as my parents used to live on the Wirral, it's a fantastic piece of work.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

rue d'Etropal / Recreations 21 has done Mersey Electrics as 3D prints.

I'd never heard of them before but I've looked on the website and Facebook page and found them!!

Thanks for the information.

Rod

• RMweb Premium

The first 2 pictures are of the DBMS looking towards the guards area, count the number of hanging straps. Pictures 3, 4 are of the DTS only 2 hanging straps denoting small bench seats by the doors only the door mechanisms hidden underneath . From the pictures I have of the set that used to be at ERM Coventry. also the give away for the first 2 is the single bay by the guards door, in the second pair there are 2 bays by the back door. the 5th picture is of the TS as the area beyond the last set of doors has no bays just a bench seat only fitted to the TS, also the seats are the declassified 2+1 first class seats.

Edited by cg501
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 04/10/2020 at 16:42, Dmudriver said:

Rod

You never know one day (depending on more drawings) one might appear

Michael

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cg501 said:

The first 2 pictures are of the DBMS looking towards the guards area, count the number of hanging straps. Pictures 3, 4 are of the DTS only 2 hanging straps denoting small bench seats by the doors only the door mechanisms hidden underneath . From the pictures I have of the set that used to be at ERM Coventry. also the give away for the first 2 is the single bay by the guards door, in the second pair there are 2 bays by the back door. the 5th picture is of the TS as the area beyond the last set of doors has no bays just a bench seat only fitted to the TS, also the seats are the declassified 2+1 first class seats.

Thank you very much for this, I will amend the photo captions accordingly.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks so much for these pics of the 503s - great pics of the end and interior details.

Funny to think how ahead of their time they (and the 502s) were with sliding doors and open plan seating - they didn't look particularly dated, unlike the mk1 EMUs which took a big step backwards with their cramped compartments and multitude of slam-doors.

A lot of folk will think the modern EMUs are a fairly new thing, but these units were already just going back and forth about their business for decades.

These units were less known and had less written about them than most other types, so I've always found them a bit more interesting

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking for some images I have of the Weymouth Quay branch tonight - without success - I found this slide I took from the footbridge at Hall Road on the Merseyrail Northern Line, exactly 30 years ago today.  This was the first photo I took during my 3-4 years as a Liverpool student.

DSC00739.JPG.898f7c1e1b67fcf3018b279c900fe401.JPG

• Like 13