Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Yesterday was most uncommonly wet. A rarely-photographed event is the cascade of water from the pan-well during a downpour. This was captured at Clapham Junction as a class 450 leans to the cant at platform 9 and the torrent pours from the well drain 

9EB023E6-3B3F-492C-B4B2-16C2C8803CDE.jpeg.740b8fe56c6c3f4784905fe0edde6be6.jpeg

Perfectly positioned to catch out the unwary!

• RMweb Gold
On 15/05/2021 at 19:48, Gwiwer said:
On 15/05/2021 at 19:48, Gwiwer said:

If nothing else kudos for getting out there and even snapping the shot in that weather.  

Must admit, I wouldn't have bothered, even if it was rare traction. Must be getting soft in old age.

• RMweb Premium
On 16/06/2021 at 23:43, John M Upton said:

Are these ever going to actually enter service at some point?

Maybe. Questions have been asked about the need for 10-car trains but SWR is already returning some suburban 455/456 duties to 10-car operation. 

As with many things the introduction to passenger service has been delayed by Covid-19. Construction, delivery, testing and training are all behind. There is still an expectation that the first will debut on the Reading line late this year. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I'm amazed the 313s are still running. I remember seeing lots of them newly delivered to Hornsey back in the 1970s. 

Probably the oldest units still in service on the national network.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

No probably about it, they ARE the oldest units still in service on the National Network now the 1938 TS has gone from the Isle of Wight.  New drivers such as I are still being trained on them so they are set to remain for a while yet.  Plenty of spare parts now to keep them going you see...

• Like 4

Impossible!

Like Jonny, I recall them being fresh out of the box, a mere "five minutes" ago, so they can't be old.

Does anyone have any photos of proper old EMUs to add? All these modern ones look the same to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

An honorary DEMU....

Well, the way I see it, it's a genuine DEMU on the left, therefore an honorary EMU, as it has a lot in common with the genuine EMUs on the right (utility front end design, traction motors underneath, cables on the front, deep cushions and a bouncy ride).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

The most comfortable ride on the southern, IMO, was in the corridor first on those trains, very retro, and very quiet, because it was away from the engines. Some of the regulars used to carry fishing stools, for sitting in the corridor if all seats were taken, which in itself could cause the angry brandishing of Daily Telegraphs, because they each had their own, very particular seat.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

A very pleasant day yesterday 38 years on from chasing EPB's SUB's etc out of Waterloo......a revisit to the South East with a focus on 465/466's out of CX and LB given it looks like some of them are possibly now becoming a little long in the tooth. 

I do like this part of the world!

I'm a Midlands kid!

Regards 

Guy

20210624_155420.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, balders said:

A very pleasant day yesterday 38 years on from chasing EPB's SUB's etc out of Waterloo......a revisit to the South East with a focus on 465/466's out of CX and LB given it looks like some of them are possibly now becoming a little long in the tooth. 

I do like this part of the world!

I'm a Midlands kid!

Regards 

Guy

20210624_155420.jpg

That's CX? Crimes!

Just now, 62613 said:

I did wonder. Depressing place, isn't it?

Considering the only original feature appears to be the left hand tower thanks to remodelling courtesy of Luftwaffe I'm glad it still exists......however clinical it is now!

Regards

Guy

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, balders said:

Considering the only original feature appears to be the left hand tower thanks to remodelling courtesy of Luftwaffe 

The two Wren-style towers, designed by sir John Hawkshaw, are still there (at least when I last looked).

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, grahame said:

The two Wren-style towers, designed by sir John Hawkshaw, are still there (at least when I last looked).

My excuse is I was only looking out of one window :)

Guy

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/06/2021 at 11:21, Gwiwer said:

Maybe. Questions have been asked about the need for 10-car trains but SWR is already returning some suburban 455/456 duties to 10-car operation. 

As with many things the introduction to passenger service has been delayed by Covid-19. Construction, delivery, testing and training are all behind. There is still an expectation that the first will debut on the Reading line late this year. 

One spotted in Wimbledon West shed today and another in the new Feltham sidings this evening.

40 minutes ago, balders said:

My excuse is I was only looking out of one window :)

Using only one eye?

PS they do have windows on both sides of trains these days.

;-)

• Funny 3