Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2021 at 15:34, Rugd1022 said:

Photos by John Atkinson : Waterloo East in August 1979....

875575520_WLOOEAST150879a.jpg.86dab1df003dec2e05139e2a7b0cf4b3.jpg

Those crossovers on the slow lines are of interest. I think they were newly installed ahead of the closure of Hungerford Bridge for renewals works. 

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Not the most common on the SED routes but a frequent event - as in every half-hour - on the Charing Cross - Caterham services. Often formed 2+4 or 2+2+4 splitting at Purley with the 2EPB (two in peak hours) going to Tattenham Corner. 

In the 70's and early 80's the peak services were normally 4-EPB to Caterham, and 2 + 4 EPB to Tattenham Corner.

Every so often the units were the wrong way around with much faffing around at East Croydon, or most likely Purley.

Equally fun was the fact that in the Tattenham corner trains tended to run 2 or 3 minutes early so as to ensure that they didn't hold up the Caterham portion.

Lots of oddities over the years, including a 2 x 4-EPB going to Tattenham Corner (meaning double stops at, at least Reedham (at least twice)).  Also, occasionally, only a 2-EPB to Tattenham Corner in peak hours.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2021 at 19:50, montyburns56 said:

Class 504 Manchester Victoria 1968 by John Law

gtman - m77164 arriving manchester victoria c68 JL

Ah. The Manchester - Bury line. Third rail but thought to be unique in the UK in using a side-contact current pick-up rather than top-contact.

Also nicely showing the wrap-round yellow end applied experimentally to this unit only (iirc) when repainted blue.

On the SR 4-Cig 7303 was treated the same way but was still in green; it was a late survivor in that livery but lost the cab-side yellow upon repaint into blue/grey. 

Meanwhile at the House of Fun I got my ducks nicely in a row …. 

B320C55E-BECF-4479-ABB4-3318EBFD247F.jpeg.4b63e7cc15435a165e89db3fe5c872d9.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

4PEP EMU Derby RTC 1978 by John Law

derbs - 4pep repainted derby rtc 78 JL

derbs - 4pep 4002 derby research JL

I think that's the first colour photo I've seen of the PEP livery and somehow it's not quite what I expected!

It looks ok in b/w but a bit odd in colour.

Interesting that it uses just the standard BR colours, though the red was rarely used other than for the band on catering stock. The angled stripes obviously are nearly contemporary to APT, but probably influenced the NSE scheme too. I wonder if the latter's original sharp angles were done so as not to be like APT?

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 10/09/2021 at 16:55, balders said:

20210910_131655.jpg.69a521e0f8bb870700ba62f8c581f549.jpg466042 leads 465119 and 465014 at Lewisham with classmates waiting on the flyover behind. More ramblings on the SE today. Note "That there rancid Shard" copyright @Southof1E top tmd :)

Regards 

Guy

I remember when all that S&C at Lewisham was re-laid (on chippings) but even with the long lens that is some slack between those two turnouts ..................................

I am sure I caught sight of a shortformed 376 coming out LBG heading towards Deptford and the North Kent Line. It looked like it only had three coaches but we were passing in the other direction. It was runnig as just one unit which is unusual anyway, especially at just gone 9 in the morning. Was I imagining it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

458's still some way off moving yet.  The 707's are being got rid of first (to South Eastern or whoever is replacing them) but the 701's still haven't entered service yet.

458535 has been out of service in Clapham yard for months. Rumoured to be the prototype four-car conversion although it’s one of the all-460 “new” units and the 460 cars are supposed to be destined for the breaker’s.  707 transfer under way but the full transfer may be delayed as the 701s are still some way off entering traffic. 

455s still receiving new bogies so likely to have up to a couple of years left on SWR and then potentially to Southern replacing their examples which have not been upgraded. 

458/5 conversion being talked of as class 458/4 but still a chance the ex-442 seats will go into 450s instead as this would reduce the need to train Portsmouth line staff on 458s and it’s one less set of spares SWR would need to keep if the 458s all went. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5