Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium

First time I've noticed the low-level headlight. Anyone know why the 377/3s don't appear to have them fitted? 

• RMweb Premium
On 20/03/2024 at 08:05, iands said:

First time I've noticed the low-level headlight. Anyone know why the 377/3s don't appear to have them fitted? 

Not been fitted as part of the Project Aurora upgrade yet. All the 377/1's and 377/4's have been done, the first 377/2 (377202) is due out any day now and when the other 14 377/2's have been done, the 377/3's are next.

Anyone seen 377324 around by the way? It seems to have vanished.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 20/03/2024 at 08:05, iands said:

On 21/03/2024 at 12:29, John M Upton said:

Not been fitted as part of the Project Aurora upgrade yet. All the 377/1's and 377/4's have been done, the first 377/2 (377202) is due out any day now and when the other 14 377/2's have been done, the 377/3's are next.

Anyone seen 377324 around by the way? It seems to have vanished.

In the previous Southern 377 major overhaul programme the 377/3s were the last to be done so I assume the fleet is being done in the same sub-class order as before.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

My office this evening with the 22:00 last one of the night through from Brighton to Portsmouth Harbour. 

Southern Class 377/4 377466 Brighton 25/3/24

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Wandering around Bagshot while waiting for a new tyre fitting, I snapped one of the regular Ascot-Aldershot stoppers on my phone.

I still want to get a similar shot (using the proper camera) with one of the 8/10-car through Waterloo services at the change of gradient.

IMG_0715.JPG.6d02e766a3b69c0bc64714947a956b5b.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

IMG_0715.JPG.6d02e766a3b69c0bc64714947a956b5b.JPG

That Hornby Dublo bridge is showing it's years, all mine are yellow!

Is it an optical illusion or is it sized to clear the track when installed at ground level but has been put on the platforms making it a lot higher?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, SR71 said:

That Hornby Dublo bridge is showing it's years, all mine are yellow!

Is it an optical illusion or is it sized to clear the track when installed at ground level but has been put on the platforms making it a lot higher?

Definitely an optical illusion, clearance above the carriages is only a couple of feet. 

Interestingly the three stations on the line all have different footbridges.  Bagshot has this concrete version (although there is a lattice bridge spanning the whole station site behind the camera), Camberley still has the original(?) SR-style lattice while Frimley's has been replaced with a modern open, painted steel version, which needs a serious repaint thanks to a few years of salt being spread on it in the winter. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

While Mrs Northmoor visited the V&A Museum today, I took a few hours to go "spotting" around South London.  A sign of the times that on a warm Saturday afternoon, I may have been the only enthusiast at the end of Clapham Junction's platforms.....  I wasn't specifically photographing anything in particular, although I do have half an idea that recording 455s should be a focus for this year.

IMG_2508.JPG.53fc8958078f6def7b0adc23ea999e43.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Arty night shot at Gatwick Airport whilst waiting to drive down to Bognor this evening. 

Thameslink Class 700/0 700021 Gatwick Airport 13/4/24

Thameslink is such a dull operation that an eight car 700 going to Brighton is almost a "interesting" variation.

Yawn...

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Endangered species, the Bognor to Littlehampton shuttle, discontinued in favour of a half hourly Bognor/Barnham only from the June timetable change.

Southern Class 377/3 377315 Barnham 15/4/24

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The timetable change appears on paper to be disastrous for most passengers and benefits no-one.  Bognor retains through trains to London for example but not to neighbouring Littlehampton.  Brighton loses its long-standing direct trains to Portsmouth.  There are still only two trains an hour along the west Coastway to and from Brighton despite sometimes serious overcrowding and folks from Shoreham eastwards having to abandon the railway as they simply cannot get on.  Among other things.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

They have changed the plan a little from the original proposals.

So the service pattern Monday to Friday should be:

2 trains per hour Brighton/Southampton (both now stopping at Woolston)

1 train per hour Brighton/Portsmouth & Southsea 

1 train per hour Brighton/Chichester all stops via Littlehampton 

2 Trains per hour Barnham/Bognor 

2 Trains per hour Bognor/Victoria via Horsham (attaching/detaching Portsmouth portion at Horsham) 

Those Portsmouth portions, one becomes several stops Chichester to Portsmouth Harbour, the other is all stops (except Bedhampton) after Chichester to Portsmouth Harbour.

The Littlehampton/Victoria via Hove remains unchanged. 

Sundays also remain unchanged!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2024 at 23:10, John M Upton said:

Thameslink is such a dull operation that an eight car 700 going to Brighton is almost a "interesting" variation.

Maybe so, but the interesting variation that turned up at Three Bridges from Brighton at about 7:00am last week was not appreciated! Got a little cosy by East Croydon...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2024 at 23:10, John M Upton said:

Arty night shot at Gatwick Airport whilst waiting to drive down to Bognor this evening. 

Thameslink Class 700/0 700021 Gatwick Airport 13/4/24

Yawn...

Try being a semi regular user of the peak East Grinstead line Thameslink services.

When they actually run, aside from the 07:14 to Bedford that's solidly a 12 coach, it's a good game to guess if you're going to get an 8 or 12 coach unit turn up!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The timetable change appears on paper to be disastrous for most passengers and benefits no-one.  Bognor retains through trains to London for example but not to neighbouring Littlehampton.  Brighton loses its long-standing direct trains to Portsmouth.  There are still only two trains an hour along the west Coastway to and from Brighton despite sometimes serious overcrowding and folks from Shoreham eastwards having to abandon the railway as they simply cannot get on.  Among other things.  

In the absence of more drivers or more rolling stock - both of which require authorisation from the DfT in Whitehall (who are still peddling the notion that trains are running round empty) any changes that Southern do is always going to be a robbing Peter to pay Paul sort of thing.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

In the absence of more drivers or more rolling stock (both of which require authorisation from the DfT in Whitehall (who are still peddling the notion that trains are running round empty) any changes that Southerns do make were always going to be a robbing Peter to pay Paul sort of thing.

As an example, GatEx Class 387's are scheduled to be used on the Coastway West from June, to Southampton and/or Portsmouth from Brighton.  There was a route clearance test run a couple of weeks back.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, John M Upton said:

They have changed the plan a little from the original proposals.

A marginal improvement in parts.  

Do the Victoria - Littlehamtons still get Hove shuttle connections or does Brighton - Littlehampton become another even more difficult option.  

One day the DafT might realise even they cannot get blood from a stone.  Machines can only work so hard.  They break.  They need maintenance.  They cannot be in two places at once.   Travel patterns post-Covid have shifted (often away from Central London working) but in truth since the train service has not been restored to anything like where it was before the operator and the DafT cannot reliably ascertain what demand patterns really exist now.  The 313s have gone but there is a little slack in the 387 fleet hence their deployment along the coast.  They have been familiar visitors to East Sussex for some time.  

Other omissions of note include the continuing absence of any direct service between Arundel / stations to Crawley and Littlehampton.  Empty trains arrive at Bognor several times an hour.  I have corresponded with Southern before on this and suggested one could usefully be diverted to Littlehampton.  They replied "Thank you for your correspondence".  End of.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Friendly/supportive 1