Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium

A couple from my collection:

Southern Class 313 313213 at Bognor Regis after my driver and I had carefully nursed it through a heavy snowstorm all the way to Portsmouth and back:

8392451152_96f778a6d5_b.jpgSouthern Class 313/2 313213 Bognor Regis 18/1/13 by John Upton, on Flickr

One of the last of Southern's 455's to retain NSE livery (They eliminated the Connex painted units first!):

5863493474_a9e0b053bd_b.jpgSouthern Class 455/8 5842 Clapham Junction 29/10/04 by John Upton, on Flickr

Phase 1 (refurbished) Class 421/3 4-CIG 1714 at Barnham in Connex livery with headcode 62 showing it to be working a Portsmouth to Brighton service:

5863483466_14d520d257_b.jpgSouthern Class 421 4-CIG 1714 Barnham 200604b by John Upton, on Flickr

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Just found this thread - how did I miss it?

Here's one that might interest Phil in particular; St Margarets last July. A Kingston circular service departs from the station formed of the usual pair of Class 455s.

attachicon.gifDSCN1889.JPG

Thanks for your kind thought, Peter.

I can't say I saw much of the station, when my parents lived there. We lived in East Dulwich at the eastern end of the 37 bus route, which at that time ran from Peckham all the way to Hounslow. As with many bus routes, it has since been chopped into smaller overlapping sections. Although it was a long drag, it was direct and frankly all we could afford. 

• RMweb Premium

A slightly unusual one here, taken at Pulborough on 9th April 2009.

post-6831-0-85360700-1493655664.jpeg

post-6831-0-43160800-1493655973.jpeg

Southern were having a bit of a stock availability crisis at the time, so borrowed three four-car class 375/9 units from South Eastern. One of their diagrams was the 17:47 London Bridge - Bognor service. I am not sure how long this arrangement lasted - I think until Thameslink got their 377/5s sorted out - but it provided a little variety on the Arun valley line for a few weeks...although with their 3x2 seating throughout probably not very welcome variety by the regulars...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the pictures I took that morning Phil, I don't have one of the same angle as your dad took. The platforms have been extended at the west end and the lighting columns preclude a decent shot.

At least I was standing on the same footbridge!

When I was on Flickr, there was a photo of King George V on its reappearance under Bulmer's patronage with their set of Pullman cars, in around 1969., I think. My Dad's mono photo was spotted by a fellow photographer who had taken an almost identical shot in colour. They must have been standing feet apart! Dad's photo is at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/26500015 and there is a link to the other photo with it. When you think how many photogs go to these events, it shouldn't be surprising when two or more come up with very similar shots.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Premium

A few of the Southern 313's did run around in their old Silverlink colours (and still numbered as 313/1's) for a while but as far as I can tell these only moved under their own power on crew training runs:

8015576375_30890ae31b_b.jpgSouthern Class 313/1 313108 Brighton Montpelier Sidings 19/12/09 by John Upton, on Flickr

I recall that the 313's were put into service in a hurry with a respray but retaining the original spec interior complete with NSE seat covers and the pantograph on the roof.  It was a couple of months later that they started heading away again to have the interior re-done, the pantograph removed and the route branding applied.

The Southern 313's are going through another program of modifications at the moment to make them legal to run after 2020 including new door buttons, really annoying door closing beepers, new lighting and adjusted hand rails.  Great Northern's ones are not getting these mods as they are being binned next year although I wouldn't rule out a few more being sent down to the seaside...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The Southern 313's are going through another program of modifications at the moment to make them legal to run after 2020 including new door buttons, really annoying door closing beepers, new lighting and adjusted hand rails.  Great Northern's ones are not getting these mods as they are being binned next year although I wouldn't rule out a few more being sent down to the seaside...

Doubtless they won't be getting disability toilets as the rest of us don't have that luxury either - or will they?

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Premium

Err no, and as my new roster has some duties with a four to five hour stretch on a single 313, I just hope my bladder doesn't develop any issues as I get older...

Thanks for your kind thought, Peter.

I can't say I saw much of the station, when my parents lived there. We lived in East Dulwich at the eastern end of the 37 bus route, which at that time ran from Peckham all the way to Hounslow. As with many bus routes, it has since been chopped into smaller overlapping sections. Although it was a long drag, it was direct and frankly all we could afford.

I used to live in East Dulwich, probably about the same time. I would catch the 37 bus to Hounslow and then a 203 to visit my mother. And at that time used to drink regularly in the Old Nuns Head, Clock House and the Beehive.

I must dig out some of my EMU snaps.

G

• RMweb Premium

Ah - there's always the SWT refilled empty coke / water bottle dropped out of the cab window onto the track solution ..........

Only feasible really if you are of a certain gender though........

Plus not very nice for those who have to work on the tracks in areas where trains berth / terminate / etc.

• RMweb Gold

I used to live in East Dulwich, probably about the same time. I would catch the 37 bus to Hounslow and then a 203 to visit my mother. And at that time used to drink regularly in the Old Nuns Head, Clock House and the Beehive.

I must dig out some of my EMU snaps.

G

We were in East Dulwich from 1973 until we retired to the south coast in 2009. The Clock House and Herne Tavern were our nearest pubs, although we weren't frequent visitors to either, especially when the mortgage rates were in the mid-teens!

• RMweb Premium

Ah - there's always the SWT refilled empty coke / water bottle dropped out of the cab window onto the track solution ..........

Bottles like this "dropped" by lorry drivers are sometimes known as "Spanish Tizer"

• RMweb Gold

To return to the subject in hand (oops sorry, wrong turn of phrase) - to third-rail emus. Three colourful SWT ones from 2014 at Clapham Junction and a couple of evening shots at Lewes.

post-14351-0-83556700-1493754839_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-41318900-1493754840_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-47625500-1493754841_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-41363000-1493755359_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-71849000-1493755364_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8

Great view of London Road station in Phil Sutters' post #36.   Aren't those Class 377 Electrostars rather handsome machines?

I used to be a member of the Brighton Model Railway Club, whose club rooms were/still are (?) in the station building to the left of the picture.  On club nights (which might have been Tuesdays), I would arrive by train from Newhaven Town, step out of the carriage and stroll into the club rooms.  A super location for a model railway club!  

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Great view of London Road station in Phil Sutters' post #36.   Aren't those Class 377 Electrostars rather handsome machines?

I used to be a member of the Brighton Model Railway Club, whose club rooms were/still are (?) in the station building to the left of the picture.  On club nights (which might have been Tuesdays), I would arrive by train from Newhaven Town, step out of the carriage and stroll into the club rooms.  A super location for a model railway club!  

Colin

They still are there as far as I know. I went to an open house they had last year and bought some very cheap track and a few wagons for my current static project. I have a fair amount of SDJR rolling stock from the layout my Dad and I had 50 years ago and I am building an impression of Highbridge Wharf on which to park them. They deserve an airing after 40+ years boxed up.

I like the 377s, although those with 2+3 seating are less desireable! We get them in pairs up the Seaford branch when Brighton & Hove Albion FC are playing at home and they need the extra capacity to shift the fans to and from the Amex at Falmer. Most the time we have 313s.

Edited by phil_sutters

Hi Phil,

Good to know the Brighton MRC are still there at London Road.  Re. the extra-length trains when Brighton and Hove Albion are playing at home: what will happen next season now that Brighton are in the Premier League?  More fans arriving by rail?! 

Though Seaford station has a twelve-car capacity platform, those platforms at the intermediate stations such as Newhaven Town cannot accommodate more than six cars can they? 

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

• RMweb Premium

No they can't which is why lengthened trains have to be 377 stock for SDO (selective door opening) purposes.  The 313's do not have this so can only operate either singly or with the rear unit in a six car formation locked out of use.

• Like 1