Third-Rail EMU Photos

1 hour ago, Owd Bob said:

A few from a  'Merrymaker' day trip from the Manchester area to Ramsgate station in 1981. The only loco i saw all day at Ramsgate was the one we been hauled behind from the Wembley area which was 33 061, it was stabled up near the station until our return journey. I normally would'nt have wasted valuble film on these units.:whistle: Wish i had taken more now though!:rolleyes:

Pretty much normal for Ramsgate. I ended up there from Leicester on a mystery excursion, slightly annoying in that I was a student at Leicester,  home was the Medway Towns, and my grandparents came from Ramsgate. In the event we scuttled off to Ashford for a couple of hours (and a couple of boring locos).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I travelled on 313s when they were new. They haven’t improved with age. 

I know it’s all tied up with politics but if we have to endure overcrowded 3-car units on the Sussex coast what was wrong with the 377/3s?  They are now creeping around London’s southern suburbs as part of near-empty (most of the day) 10-car trains on duties much better suited to 6-car 313 operation. 

30 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I travelled on 313s when they were new. They haven’t improved with age. 

I know it’s all tied up with politics but if we have to endure overcrowded 3-car units on the Sussex coast what was wrong with the 377/3s?  They are now creeping around London’s southern suburbs as part of near-empty (most of the day) 10-car trains on duties much better suited to 6-car 313 operation. 

I thought they had been displaced by the 377/6, 5-car sets? 

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

I thought they had been displaced by the 377/6, 5-car sets? 

Not at all. Southern runs 10-car suburban trains formed of 2x377/6 or 377/7 (fully interchangeable now that the /7s are no longer required for the Milton Keynes service they were acquired for) or 2x377/3 with a 377/1 or /4

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/02/2019 at 08:08, KeithHC said:

John I'm upset its dirty whats gone wrong..............

Keith

Ps great shot as always.

Southern used to be very conscious of their train's appearance and they were normally kept clean. This has been less so over the last few years, so now their trains can be quite scruffy; inside and out. 

• RMweb Premium

The 'driver' on the Southsea 313 is a reflection from the large advertising poster at the end of platforms 3 and 4.

I think it is the Head Conductor of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, John M Upton said:

I think it is the Head Conductor of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra!

I made him a cup of coffee once; nice chap. On his first visit to the area, he got off the train at Bournemouth, as you would. Nobody told him that the BSO actually perform in Poole.....

• Funny 1

Update on 313201 from someone in the know says : "Just looked on the system and 313201 was booked for a test run on 15/02 following repairs. As is typical with manky old ex-BR EMU's, the "reports" and symptoms were excessive for what was a rather simple defect. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There was an interesting shot on a Facebook group this morning of a BR design 2-EPB unit in plain blue FYE which was actually two Driving Motor Brakes from a 4-EPB numbered 5800.  Apparently it got used as a 'tractor' unit for a while.  Must have had quite some power to weight ratio on it!!

Thats better John....... Still looks like the ghost blow up driver is in the cab again. But thanks to both you and Big Jim lettings us non railway people get to see more of the network.

Keith

Edited by KeithHC