Third-Rail EMU Photos

post-4406-0-44156400-1495006070_thumb.jpg

A ten car formation, made up of two former Wessex 442 electric multiple units, passes Salfords at speed with the 1536 hours London (Victoria) to Brighton service on Saturday 14 April 2012.

post-4406-0-48367300-1495006100_thumb.jpg

Trains from 3 different operators - TfL Overground, Southern, First Capital Connect (FCC) - take up capacity on the four track 'racetrack' between Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park. Nearest the camera is 319379 on a Brighton to Bedford service - 4 April 2012.

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I see you managed to capture one of the old concrete arm signal posts in the second photograph. These were mentioned in a signalling thread a year or so ago and they are still there...passed that very site about 10 minutes ago!

• Like 4

I see you managed to capture one of the old concrete arm signal posts in the second photograph. These were mentioned in a signalling thread a year or so ago and they are still there...passed that very site about 10 minutes ago!

Lived in Honor Oak Park from 1964-1971 - my local station.

Those signal posts take me back to my very early spotting days.

Those concrete gantries are one of the few things remaining in use from the 1955 resignalling.  There are also the uprights from some of the 1955 scheme gantries erected between Clapham Junction and Balham still in use as signal posts.  Probably most remarkable of all though is one of the signal gantries between Clapham Junction and Pouparts Junction which is an original ole gantry from the LBSCR ac electrification scheme.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1

Those concrete gantries are one of the few things remaining in use from the 1955 resignalling.  There are also the uprights from some of the 1955 scheme gantries erected between Clapham Junction and Balham still in use as signal posts.  Probably most remarkable of all though is one of the signal gantries between Clapham Junction and Pouparts Junction which is an original ole gantry from the LBSCR ac electrification scheme.

I'm rather ignorant of such matters so was wondering where this gantry at Raynes Park, taken in June 2014, fits into the overall scheme of things?

post-4406-0-84517600-1495390046_thumb.jpg

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 6

I'm rather ignorant of such matters so was wondering where this gantry at Raynes Park, taken in June 2014, fits into the overall scheme of things?

attachicon.gifIMG_2055_1600.jpg

There are a few like that around Raynes Park and New Malden - they pre-date the late 1980s resignalling and were re-used.  I'm not 100% sure but I think they were installed by the Southern Railway in the 1930s.

• Like 1

Hi Grahame,

Great photos.  What is the location of the third picture in post #112?  The station seems overdue for a spot of weeding!

Colin 

Yep, that's the Kenny shuttle at Cl'am Junction before that platform became part of the London Overground.

G.

• Like 1

Oh, I do like the dinosaur styling!

Here's another dino pic. It was taken before I had a digital camera so is a scan off a small print hence the poor quality. But I guess dinosaurs were all pre-digital anyway.

120412.jpg

G.

• Like 7

Here's another dino pic. It was taken before I had a digital camera so is a scan off a small print hence the poor quality. But I guess dinosaurs were all pre-digital anyway.

120412.jpg

G.

It could be the most challenging EMU livery ever!

• Like 4

Not quite in the same vein as other posts, but this picture is farily recent, having been taken at the Bluebell Railway on 30 June 2013.  This is of course a motor coach from the preseved 4 COR 3142.  I cannot remember the vehicle number.

post-8139-0-66552200-1495561476_thumb.jpg

Having completed a model of this unit before the opportunity of seeing this handsome survivor of times gone by presented itself, it was interesting to get right up close to the real thing.  

• Like 5

Having completed a model of this unit before the opportunity of seeing this handsome survivor of times gone by presented itself, it was interesting to get right up close to the real thing.  

I was hoping to bash an N gauge 4COR from the Maunsell coaches that Dapol released but having purchased a few samples couldn't find any that were suitable as a starting point. Another project idea that bit the dust.

G

That looks like Clapham Junction platform 1(?). Since completely rebuild and, yes, weeded!

Yes - back in my days as Track SM at Clapham - ISTR there was indeed very little ballast to be found amongst the mud in Plat 2. Indeed I also closed Kensington sidings because of their poor condition. Proposed for early renewal but superceded by the very welcome upgrade brought about by the OvergrounD schemes.

Edited by Southernman46