Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

It seems quite tricky getting the whole train

19 vehicles, including locos, if I counted correctly.  Longer than most in the UK other than a handful of intermodal freights.  So yes hard to get a really good shot of the entire train.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

19 vehicles, including locos, if I counted correctly.  Longer than most in the UK other than a handful of intermodal freights.  So yes hard to get a really good shot of the entire train.

Lindsey - Kingsbury tanks used to load to 30 TEAs, long enough to cause quite a build up of traffic in Lincoln before they remodelled the road layout to remove the High Street level crossing....

Work out the value of that load using the retail price of fuel x 77000+ litres per tanker!...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ah, the classic problem of running out of a particular digit on the sheet of transfers and hoping no one will notice, only in 12 inch to the foot scale:

20200804_065333.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• 2 weeks later...

Nice blast from the blue and grey past.

20 minutes ago, bude_branch said:

A 4-CIG leads a Semi-Fast service from Brighton into Victoria  (C).

That one's a 4-VEP

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, bude_branch said:

A bit of a blast from the past - Victoria in 1973

1794153383_Neg011-020.jpg.8f41f4d86965ff5306323d28d2185240.jpg

A 4-SUB approaches Victoria (C) with a Quarry Line stopping Service from Brighton.

In 1973 headcode 06 was Holborn Viaduct - Wimbledon - Sutton - West Croydon - Crystal Palace - Victoria

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

But the HV to Central service in 1973 was exclusively EPBs - mysteriously often they left HV needing depot attention, thus having to be swapped out at West Croydon, to go to Selhurst. As Area 4 Controller at Croydon, I would get a message from SED Control at Beckenham telling me the glad tidings, and the suspicion was always that the Catford Loop service had been swapped, but SED weren't gonna admit to that. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, bude_branch said:

I thought 6 was the SE Division Headcode for Holborn Viaduct or Blackfriars to Wimbledon or West Croydon via Herne Hill, Tulse Hill and St Helier?

See here for the full list of  SR EMU head codes

There is a difference between 6 and 06. 6 is indeed Brighton - Victoria via Quarry Line (which was most unlikely to have been operated by a 4-SUB in 1973) but this unit has head code 06, which is the Central Section code for Holborn Viaduct or Blackfriars - Victoria via Herne Hill, Tooting, St Helier, West Croydon, and Crystal Palace

Edited by RFS
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, bude_branch said:

I thought 6 was the SE Division Headcode for Holborn Viaduct or Blackfriars to Wimbledon or West Croydon via Herne Hill, Tulse Hill and St Helier?

It was and 06 was the Central Division headcode for the same route.  And Brighton to Victoria stopping via Quarry was 6 not 06.

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, nigb55009 said:

I`d say Dover, not sure whether it was still called Marine or name changed to Western Docks. The retaining wall looks to straight to be Folkestone Harbour.

Agreed - Admiralty Pier.   Lord Warden House can be seen in the background of the last photo.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Premium

701005 works 5Q31 Waterloo - Reading test train through Clapham Junction running around 15 minutes late at 10.18 19/08/20.  This unit is fully seated internally unlike 701002 which has run previous tests.  Seating appears to be better than the class 700/707 style and similar to that currently being fitted to refurbished class 444 units.  It is all in 2+2 configuration with a few singles and - surprisingly - tables at the window seats which are grouped in fours as opposed to the airline ones.  I was not able to confirm whether tray-tables are fitted to the airline seat-backs.  

456B5987-0471-485B-A652-3865858FCAF9_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 20/08/2020 at 19:51, bude_branch said:

So, having proved beyond reasonable doubt that I can't tell the difference between 6 and 06, perhaps it's time to move on to the South Eastern side:

373295923_Neg011-018.jpg.f525692b946c567cd145480fea1f755a.jpg

Two Boat Trains headed by 4-CEP Units stand in Platforms 1 and 2 at Victoria (E).

1960023257_Neg011-022.jpg.a26c8a39978a6ce86d151d200087e1a4.jpg

4-CEP No 7192 stands in Platform 2 at the head of a down Boat Train.

227822750_Neg011-023.jpg.164077f4bb5b67c65f69bf8cb051116e.jpg

MLV No 68005 on the Quayside.  As demonstrated earlier, my memory is not what it used to be, Is this Dover or Folkestone?

1560184285_Neg011-024A.jpg.f65b7419b4b1dbc2a0e33288d48b2d8c.jpg

MLV No 68005 again, this time from the deck of the Ferry.

Top picture - really brings back memories. I worked in a Nissan Hut behind the Bishops' building, for three years in the mid 70's - the Shipping & International Services Division Continental (non-car ferry) information office. Part of our duties involved going out onto the concourse and platforms to provide info to departing and arriving customers, but, such were the staffing problems in those days, I was often left to dispatch trains along with one other "proper" platform staff! Why did I stay so long? There were three men and 19 women, mostly French, Italian and other nationalities, in that office. Are you crazy?

As for Dover Western Docks, that is where I started my "career", as a Junior Shunter on the Link Span, but most of my duties, other than making tea, involved running back and forth to Admiralty House, to the Snargate Radio station, to give or receive manifests.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I’ll have to take a trip soon to Liverpool to photograph the Class 507’s and 508 before there gone.  I believe Sandhills station is one of the best places to photograph during the “peak”.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I think I’ll have to take a trip soon to Liverpool to photograph the Class 507’s and 508 before there gone.  I believe Sandhills station is one of the best places to photograph during the “peak”.

Correct, Sandhills is the only surface station where you can see Southport, Ormskirk and Kirkby services.  I used to commute to the Poly from Waterloo to Moorfields daily, so will also perhaps be making another "pilgrimage" to see the old units before withdrawal.  Last time I checked online, the All-zone Saveaway tickets were still very cheap if you want to do all the routes in one day.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Nearly-new class 701 unit 701005 (still without its lower fairings on the front ends) works test trip 5Q42 through Strawberry Hill on 24/08/20 in drenching rain.  

The name "Arterio" has been given to this class, derived from "Arterial", and first appeared at the formal launch using 701004 on 23/08/20.  It appears in bronze decals on the darker livery colour making it hard to see and harder to photograph so apologies for the reflections.  

Two "firsts" for what are suburban units.  They have tables at the window seats where these are in groups of four but no tray tables in the "airline" seating which makes up around 2/3 of the accommodation.  And two toilets per 10-car unit or one in the 5-car units means that in future all SWR services will feature on-board facilities.

Having been christened Arterio it has been suggested that the type be given the SR-style unit designation of 5-ART and 10-ART though they owe nothing to the erstwhile quint-art sets of many years ago.  

IMG_8788.jpeg

IMG_8791.jpeg

IMG_8793.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Having been christened Arterio it has been suggested that the type be given the SR-style unit designation of 5-ART and 10-ART though they owe nothing to the erstwhile quint-art sets of many years ago.  

It’s a good job they use the numeral, instead of the first letter of the written version of the number.

F(ive)-ART & T(en)-ART might raise a few eyebrows ! :D

cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6