Third-Rail EMU Photos

I was hoping to bash an N gauge 4COR from the Maunsell coaches that Dapol released but having purchased a few samples couldn't find any that were suitable as a starting point. Another project idea that bit the dust.

G

Hi Grahame,

If you ever did think of trying your hand at a 4 COR in the future, I have many detail shots of the motor coach chassis you could have. (The SR electric stock was mostly built on 62' or 62' 6" underframes, so Maunsell loco-hauled coach would be too short for the CORs, which were built on the 62' 6" underframes.)

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

My office for most of this afternoon and evening:

Southern Class 313/2 313214 Portsmouth Harbour 23/5/17 by John Upton, on Flickr

That's a nice, very sparkling clean unit. But then these days passenger rolling stock seems to be kept a lot cleaner, at least on the outside, than it ever used to.

G.

Edited by grahame

Hi Grahame,

If you ever did think of trying your hand at a 4 COR in the future, I have many detail shots of the motor coach chassis you could have. (The SR electric stock was mostly built on 62' or 62' 6" underframes, so Maunsell loco-hauled coach would be too short for the CORs, which were built on the 62' 6" underframes.)

Colin

Thanks for the offer. I've no plans ATM but, perhaps, maybe sometime in the future. I really need a lot of EPBs (2&4 car, BR and Bullied).

G. 

Yes - back in my days as Track SM at Clapham - ISTR there was indeed very little ballast to be found amongst the mud in Plat 2. Indeed I also closed Kensington sidings because of their poor condition. Proposed for early renewal but superceded by the very welcome upgrade brought about by the OvergrounD schemes.

Yes tidied up a bit these days. Having seen a 4MT tank on the Kenny Belle c1966, ridden Q stock on the East London Line and started my spotting days on the platform at Honor Oak Park, I find the whole concept of the Overground fascinating....

post-4406-0-49682700-1495604829_thumb.jpg

Clapham Junction - 14 March 2013

post-4406-0-36218700-1495604838_thumb.jpg

Queens Park - 6 March 2013

post-4406-0-76571500-1495604845_thumb.jpg

Honor Oak Park - 4 April 2012

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That's a nice, very sparkling clean unit. But then these days passenger rolling stock seems to be kept a lot cleaner, at least on the outside, than it ever used to.

G.

Not all of them are so clean!!  The only automated washer on the Coastway West is at Littlehampton and as some of them spend a few consecutive nights a week at Bognor they can get rather grubby. Also when they go through the carriage washer it is not unknown for the strong brushes to open the doors and the push the hopper windows in and send inside quite a bit of water!

Not all of them are so clean!!  The only automated washer on the Coastway West is at Littlehampton and as some of them spend a few consecutive nights a week at Bognor they can get rather grubby. Also when they go through the carriage washer it is not unknown for the strong brushes to open the doors and the push the hopper windows in and send inside quite a bit of water!

Maybe, but a few days of unwashed grime doesn't exactly reach the levels of dirt and muck seen in many pictures from the late steam era. Looking back through the pics on this thread certainly makes it appear that modern units are kept a lot cleaner. Presumably it's the modern approach to brand awareness and marketing effort to promote rail travel.

G.

Edited by grahame

Yes tidied up a bit these days. Having seen a 4MT tank on the Kenny Belle c1966, ridden Q stock on the East London Line and started my spotting days on the platform at Honor Oak Park, I find the whole concept of the Overground fascinating....

attachicon.gifIMG_9636_1600.jpg

Clapham Junction - 14 March 2013

attachicon.gifIMG_8982_1600.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7320_1600.jpg

Honor Oak Park - 4 April 2012

Very nice pictures!   Out of interest, what is the purpose of the object on a pole in image 7320?  It looks like a mirror or a monitor of some kind.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice pictures!   Out of interest, what is the purpose of the object on a pole in image 7320?  It looks like a mirror or a monitor of some kind.

Yes, that is a mirror to enable the driver to see the Platform Train Interface on a DOO working.

• RMweb Premium

So that is meant to replace a guard on the train?!

It is a system that has been used on many lines in this country, National Rail and London Underground. If the platform is curved then cameras and monitors are used. Good for opening and closing doors but useless for any other jobs the guard does.

• Like 1

Yes, that is a mirror to enable the driver to see the Platform Train Interface on a DOO working.

Only used if the train doesn't have bodyside cameras.  In the case of Honor Oak Park that would be trains formed of 455s.  377s and 378s which also call there have the cameras

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Only used if the train doesn't have bodyside cameras.  In the case of Honor Oak Park that would be trains formed of 455s.  377s and 378s which also call there have the cameras

I know a few drivers who would say that having the cameras is not a guarantee of being able to see anything so they use the mirrors and cameras if both are available.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer. I've no plans ATM but, perhaps, maybe sometime in the future. I really need a lot of EPBs (2&4 car, BR and Bullied).

G.

Grahame,

Would be very interested in how you plan to do the Bullied EPB's. These units were one of the ones that me and Mr Farmer both had high up on our wish list.

Carl

attachicon.gifIMG_8982_1600.jpg

That's a long way from the 1938 EHO Bakerloo stock sitting alongside a Class 501 as 83003 races past on a string of Mk1's that I remember from 40 years ago ...................... crikey, tempus fugit !!

• Like 1

I know a few drivers who would say that having the cameras is not a guarantee of being able to see anything so they use the mirrors and cameras if both are available.

Yes but mirrors or fixed monitors are placed at 4 and 8 car stopping positions and since 378s went to 5 cars and SN Metro started 5 car and 10 car workings both being available is not as common as it was. 

Edited by DY444

post-4406-0-92721900-1495767886_thumb.jpg

Clapham Jct - May 1983

post-4406-0-48290000-1495768004_thumb.jpg

A 12-car formation comprising 3 x 4-car EMUs led by 4-VEP 7770 arrives at Sutton with a Victoria to Bognor Regis service. Used to love the little bit of luxury provided by the hourly Bognor services for the short 21 minute non-stop journey to Sutton - sometime in 1977
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif8708445917_117cd7cb31_o.jpg

Clapham Jct - May 1983

attachicon.gif17364936016_047e162dc6_o.jpg

A 12-car formation comprising 3 x 4-car EMUs led by 4-VEP 7770 arrives at Sutton with a Victoria to Bognor Regis service. Used to love the little bit of luxury provided by the hourly Bognor services for the short 21 minute non-stop journey to Sutton - sometime in 1977

Usually the preferred route to and fro Horsham to Victoria.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the Coastway Arun Valley London trains used to go that way until someone decided that the major pain in the neck that is Gatwick Airport was now the centre of the universe.  The Dorking to Horsham section must be one of the biggest wasted opportunities to alleviate the stress on the BML where the solution is right there ready to go.