The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Glass Half Fill Or Half Empty?

edcayton

Doesn't matter to me, as a rocket scientist/engineer if it's in the glass.....drink it!

Baz

Now, if you were an artist you would have a different outlook, something like, if it's in the glass I probably just washed my brushes in it.

• RMweb Gold

True story time, this happened in work. Conversation between an old friend, and myself...

"Phil, is your glass half full, or half empty?"

"Glass? What glass? Someone's nicked it......."

'Cos it's Sunday, I've left out the swear words....

Ian.

If it started empty and was filled half way, its half full. If it started full and was emptied half way, its half empty.

This is perhaps the best answer to the glass half-full/half-empty question I have seen - apart from the "twice as large as required" answer.

The whole optimist v. pessimist question for me is entirely philosophical in nature.

There is this perspective from W.S.C that is relevant and I think useful:

I am an optimist, It does not seem much use being anything else.

Contrasted with the first noble truth of Buddhism (much paraphrased) that suffering exists, and a pessimist may be defined as one who simply recognizes that truth: "birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering" etc.

Of course a whole religion (arguably all religion) stems from the need to move beyond this perspective and is the fuel for all seekers.

Arguably anyone who makes the decision to keep on breathing is, at least in some small way, an optimist.

To the optimist the glass is half full.

To the pessimist the glass is half empty.

To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

To the British India engineer the glass is only half as big as it needs to be, and it's bloody nearly empty.   STEWARD!!!!!!

Archived