4mm RT Models Sentinel BE

I've ordered a post war version yesterday. Looking forward to seeing your progress

Luke

I made a few notes on the build of one of the post war 100hp Sentinels here;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81445-100-hp-sentinel-from-rt-models-kit/?p=1317455

It's not a full build description but might be of some interest.

I made a few notes on the build of one of the post war 100hp Sentinels here;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81445-100-hp-sentinel-from-rt-models-kit/?p=1317455

It's not a full build description but might be of some interest.

Cheers for that. It's much appreciated and it's been good reading.

Hopefully get started on mine in a few weeks. I'm hoping it arrives this week but I'm away for a week from Saturday.

Luke

• Like 1

I bought this kit, today, at Scalefour North. Progress has been rapid this evening.

Hi,

Did you bother annealing the 'tank' sides or just go for it? I'm about to start mine and thought I would just curve them with a rod.

Thanks

Ian B

Edited by Ruston

Hi,

Did you bother annealing the 'tank' sides or just go for it? I'm about to start mine and thought I would just curve them with a rod.

Thanks

Ian B

No, I didn't anneal the tank wrapper. I set everything up on a flat plate with a steel block and magnets. Once one side was tacked at one end I knew that folding it round would mean the wrapper would be lined up along its length so I simply bent it round to follow the curve of the top and tweaked the bottom curve (which doesn't have a curve to follow on the inner) by pressing it out with a piece of rod.

I have annealed the inner and outer of the roof, which is ready to go on once the insides of the cab are finished.

post-494-0-32278700-1531063141.jpg

Painting in progress. The interior will be weathered before soldering the roof on.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 8

No, I didn't anneal the tank wrapper. I set everything up on a flat plate with a steel block and magnets. Once one side was tacked at one end I knew that folding it round would mean the wrapper would be lined up along its length so I simply bent it round to follow the curve of the top and tweaked the bottom curve (which doesn't have a curve to follow on the inner) by pressing it out with a piece of rod.

I have annealed the inner and outer of the roof, which is ready to go on once the insides of the cab are finished.

Painting in progress. The interior will be weathered before soldering the roof on.

Hi, Thanks for that, I have two things on the work bench at present the RT Sentinel BE and a Judith Edge Harton No2.

Cheers, I do enjoy your posts !

Ian B

Edited by Ruston

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Thanks for that, I have two things on the work bench at present the RT Sentinel BE and a Judith Edge Harton No2.

Cheers, I do enjoy your posts !

Ian B

Hi

What chassis have you used for the Harton? I was waiting for the High Level one to become available before starting mine.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

What chassis have you used for the Harton? I was waiting for the High Level one to become available before starting mine.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Just used a Tenshodo, the wait for a High Level one may be a while!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

Just used a Tenshodo, the wait for a High Level one may be a while!

Ian

I've got a test etch for the Harton No2 drive unit, just got to check it in our display model then it will be up to Chris to produce it.

The body is nearly finished. All that remains to do is to fit the rain channels to the roof and the brass window surounds and glasses.

And the "chimney" needs to be fitted on the roof but I'm not sure exactly how this should fit. If it goes directly above the exhausts that are on top of the boiler, as I suspect it should on the prototype, there will be a gap in front, which will look odd. If I have positioned the boiler wrongly and the chimney should go to the front of the hole in the roof then there will be a gap behind it, which will also look odd. Surely the roof wouldn't have such a gap and hole on the prototype?

post-494-0-87857200-1531063277.jpg

post-494-0-00027300-1531063313.jpg

The chassis and wheels are simply positioned under the body for the photograph and cannot be finished until the motor and gearbox are supplied. (Robert is waiting for an order of gearboxes and motors).

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Super stuff Dave. As to the chimney, it wasn't fitted to all locos but this one was measured from the dismantled frys sentinel at the Avon valley railway so didn't see it fitted. As to why such a large hole which is actually exposed was fitted is beyond me but remained throughout production to the end.

Edited by RThompson

The post-war one makes sense as it is circular and so fits over the hole but the casting in the one I am building is side-by-side extension of the exhausts. If they didn't all have it then I'll leave it off as it looks better without it.

• 1 month later...

The gearbox arrived a couple of weeks ago but the bearings were missing. A message to Robert soon had some in the post to me but I have only just got around to building and fitting the gearbox. I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures whilst building it but here is the finished loco.

post-494-0-55541400-1531063438.jpg

post-494-0-59286500-1531063493.jpg

There is plenty of room inside to cram in a respectable amount of lead sheet, so it should be able to pull 5 wagons loaded with real crushed limestone easily enough.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 12

• 1 year later...

Any chance of reuploading the photos in the future Ruston?

I’m thinking of getting a pre war kit now I’ve finished my post war one!

Cheers. Luke

No problem. I have uploaded them all to RMweb and have edited other people's posts where they have quoted my posts that included the now redundant photobucket links. I do wish that people would edit out photos and not leave them in quotes...

Anyway, here is another shot of the Sentinel, now with its works plates. The plates are from Narrow Planet and are so small that, in this scale, there's really not much to see on them but they are the right shape and do give that finishing touch.

post-494-0-19454900-1531063863.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11

• 2 years later...

A bit late to comment now but the elongated cut-out in the roof for the chimney does have a purpose. The actually chimneys should be close to the front of the opening. On Sentinels it is not unknown for coal to lodge in the vertical firing chute if it is not broken up into small pieces, so you end up with a fire on the grate and a smaller one in the chute. The elongated hole allows a fire iron to be passed through the roof and (with the blower hard on) used to break up the blockage in the chute. Sentinel road steam waggons normally have a similar elongated opening in the cab roof for the same purpose.

H16LSWR

• Informative/Useful 3