APT Motor

Sometimes the insulation that should cover the brush arms and stops them shorting on the bogie side supports slips or is missing causing a short circuit and the model to jerk or stop as the power car tilts giving the impression that the motor is running inconsistently

Is the motor running rough when out on track, or when, say, in a servicing cradle ?

I have found the British made Hornby 'Ringfield' pretty much bulletproof over the years - the Chinese efforts not so much.

If it's track running that lets it down, have you tried extra pick-ups ? The original model uses alternate bogies for each supply, with varying degrees of success - I trust wheels and track are clean ?...

The APT motors were wound slightly differently, allegedly to give them more oomph and speed. I used to look for them secondhand and were easily distinguishable due to having a hole in the top of the Ringfield block where the Pantograph was attached. I have an 86 with a pair of them in and not only did it go like a stabbed rat, but once weighted could also pull 30+ coaches.

I don't understand the electrical specs, but might it be possible that a winding has become damaged?

Many thanks to you all for your advice.

Peter, would you like a spare APT motor bogie?

Andi

Andi,

Thanks, but unfortunately I cannot take you up on your offer as I am banned from 'playing trains' by SWMBO for many months!  When I get back on track, I will give it a good service, try some of the other solutions & maybe get in touch later about your kind offer.

I have spent the last three months getting 'Crewlisle' ready for the recent Ally Pally exhibition.  SWMBO & I had an agreement that after Ally Pally I had to replace the kitchen, do some general decorating, help our son move house & sort out the garden.

Peter

Archived