Brown Van or not Brown Van?

leslie10646

Friends

I have raised this query in other places, but realise that I won't "hit" everyone in just a few places.

I am all set to produce a LMS NCC Brown van as a kit for launch later this year. I have been asked by lots of folk in past, but is there really a demand?

The well-informed among you will know that there were two varieties - V7, built by the NCC and V12 built by the successor UTA (on under frames built by Harland and Wolf) - the intent would be to do both. you may be assured of the quality we have tried to maintain with an accurate chassis, brake gear and decent level of detail.

But, I ask myself, is there a demand? 

I ask because my modeller, fine upstanding chap as he is,  commented "We don't want another Loco Coal wagon" - it sold under fifty items to date, so you will understand that I am reticent to waste My Man's time on a van, if he could be working on a different sure-fire success - and I have two of those lined up.

So, if you want a Brown van (or MORE, if you have scratch built one) - NOW IS THE TIME TO TELL ME!

Please e-mail me on - 

lesliemcallister@aol.com

an indication of how many would help!

Thanks.

Leslie

Hello Leslie,

I'd be more than happy to obtain 3 or 4 from yourself, however not at the same time haha, once finances allow it then I certainly will.

I can understand your concern as in the past many people have scratchbuilt their own brown vans, so may not see the need in the kit?

Nelson

Leslie,

I would be interested in buying one or two Brown Vans, depending on cost.   They would be to run with my two railcars ('scratch built railcars' as posted earlier in RMWeb).   I don't know which series would be appropriate and I would want that most likely to be pulled by a railcar.

My only deviation from standard would be to have 'EM' rather than 'OO' wheels and I would do without any big 'tension lock' coupler as I use Kadees instead.

I already have one of your CIE corrugated wagons - excellent!.

Regards,

Jeremy. 

Jeremy,

I would have thought that both "types" would have been shoved behind any of the railcars ina  totally random manner -, but I never actually took much notice of numbers etc, when I saw them. they were just "brown vans" (well,more of a faded greyishbrown shade)  Precision Paints do a "weathered wood" colour which is excellent for this.

Colm

Hi Leslie,

While I would expect that there would be interest in a kit or kits (one version only or one of each variant?) the construction method could be a significant factor as you have not indicated what methodology or materials you plan to use.  For example are you thinking of an etched brass or plastic moulded under frame, with an etched brass, moulded plastic or resin bodywork?  An idea of possible price would also help although I acknowledge that may also depend on the level of demand.

Tom

Hi,

As the brown vans have a long wheelbase it is necessary to have some sort of compensation with one or both axles able to rock slightly from side to side to avoid derailments.   Not all track is absolutely level.

Jeremy.

• 1 month later...