Building a Model Railway Group 2017

Wintonian

Welcome- Building a Model Railway Group 2017- one of the special interest groups of  Liphook U3A

Our first session will be held on Wednesday 19th April in the Committee Room of the Milland Valley Memorial Hall, Iping Road, Milland, LIPHOOK GU30 7NA commencing at 2.00 pm, which despite its postal address is just over the border into 

West Sussex.

I will be building a model railway, from a short list of small layouts in various scales and you will follow the progress at the monthly sessions. I will explain what I have done and what comes next- lots of opportunity to ask questions and challenge methods used.

You need to be a paid up member of Liphook U3A or one of several local U3A's- Petersfield, Haslemere or  Woolmer Forest

The only other cost- to be paid up front,  is the hire of the room for 12 sessions of 2 hours each divided by the number attending. Currently the cost will be £25 each

For full details see the Liphook U3A website or my website www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk  Please contact me via the U3A website

The sessions will run on a monthly basis with breaks for the Summer Holidays & Christmas/ New Year until July 2018

If members of the group agree we could become an informal group of railway modellers thereafter

• 2 weeks later...

Only a couple of days away from the 1st session of the Liphook U3A Building a Model Railway Group 2017

The first session starts at 2.00 pm on Wednesday 19th April in the Committee Room of the Milland Valley Memorial Hall*

Will report back after this-hopefully with a photo

* Only for paid up members of Liphook U3A , + Haslemere U3A, Petersfield U3A and Woolmer Forest U3A (Bordon/Whitehill Hampshire)

First Meeting

The first meeting went off successfully  with 6 attending and 7 cheques received!

I brought along samples of different types of baseboard construction; we discussed our various interests and which layout they would

like to see built.

Post the meeting I have decided to build "East Hants Link" an N scale modern image light rail layout, built in several ex Ikea toy boxes and

"Bennett Mews" an OO scale industrial and secondary line set in London SE1

The next meeting will be on 17th May in the same venue. 

We can accommodate 2 or 3 more in the group- please see the Liphook U3A website for further information, my website- www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk or contact me via 

model.railways@liphooku3a.org.uk

(Please note you need to be a member of Liphook U3A or other local U3A's and there is a group membership fee of around £20 to cover hire of the meeting room for 12 session)s 

• 4 weeks later...

Second Session

The next is in 2 days time on Wednesday 17th May. There won't be a full turn out as the holiday season has started early and 2 will be absent

We will be talking about the research I have been doing for the two layouts and for East Hants Link the designs for each of the 5 modules.

Also discussing track choice and first thoughts on wiring. There will also be some samples of kits and rolling stock from a number of new sources(to me)

I also hope some members will bring along some news on their own projects.

By the time the 3rd meeting comes along on Wednesday 21st June construction should be well along. We've then got a break of 2 months before resuming on 

20th September.

• 2 weeks later...

Liphook U3A- Building a Model Railway Group

Spreading the word

The UK Model Shop Directory now has details of our group under the clubs listing.

I am hoping the group will not be limited to the 12 sessions that continue until July 2018, but this depends on the current members and any that join after September 2017

I there are any other U3A groups covering similar ground, please contact me at model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk so that we can exchange ideas & experience. 

Next Group session Wednesday 21st June-  For details see www.liphooku3a.org.uk and go to groups

• 5 weeks later...

Liphook U3A- Building a Model Railway Group

Third Session -21st June

We had a successful 3rd session on one of the hottest days this year.Five members present with 2 on hols. Cold drinks were available

There was discussion on the use of full size plans and point plans. A member brought along a sample of a lightweight baseboard design. 

Large scale OS maps were also shown as an aid to planning layouts of railway facilities as they were in other era. Wiring design books were shown

One member found conditions too hot and had to return home

We now have a holiday break of two months- July and August and we resume sessions on Wednesday 20th September 

Meanwhile I shall be working hard to bring the East Hants Link layout up to speed with track-laying and electrics completed and operational

• 2 months later...

Liphook U3A Building A Model Railway Group

Fourth Session - 20th September

The results of building a model railway through some of the hottest summers, followed by monsoon conditions will be on show on our next get together.

I doubt whether the layout East Hants Link will be operational for the session, but one lives in hope!. My real goal is to complete by Mid October...

If any local U3A member or new retiree is interested in joining us you can contact me at model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk.

Details of the group are on the Liphook U3A website www.liphooku3a.org.uk or see my website www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Liphook U3A Building a Model Railway Group

Fifth Session 18th October

After a disappointing turnout at the September session- only 2 people turned up, the October session was worse only one person turned up

I issued a three line whip directly after as I was very disappointed that the vast majority hadn't advised they couldn't make it!  I also asked for constructive comments on 

the group and was it worth continuing to which I've had little response

The last session of the year is on 15th November (a planned break in December)

I have placed notes on the group on local Facebook pages, plus in two local free magazines in the hope of bringing some more members.

I do believe the British have become a nation of watchers rather than active participators -or am I being grumpy!

• 3 weeks later...

Liphook U3A Building a Model Railway Group

The last of this year's sessions was held on Wednesday 15th November in the Committee Room of the Milland Valley Memorial Hall with 5 members attending.

Going forward for the foreseeable future it appears that 5 will be the maximum number of attendees, due to health and bereavement effecting two of our original members.

We hope that at some time in the future they might be able to return.

We need to attract more members in 2018 One effort will be at  Liphook U3A Open Day in March by exhibiting our N scale tramway layout which should be in a completed state by then.

I have also started to recruit with items on the groups and other local Facebook pages in the run up to Christmas. The possibility of attracting U3A members who are grandparents who might

be interested in some help in building a model railway for a grandchild. 

We discussed the use of dioramas in the hobby to explore layout subjects, using my under construction diorama "If the railway had come to the valley" in 00 scale.

Members have expressed an interest in more practical modelling sessions at next years sessions

The next session will be on Wednesday 17th January 2018 at the MVMH Committee Room, Iping Road, Milland GU30 7NA.

Full details of the group at www.liphooku3a.org.uk or contact the group leader at model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk

Seasons Greetings to you all. Remember model railways are not just for Christmas!

Edited by Wintonian

• 1 month later...

LIPHOOK U3A BUILDING A MODEL RAILWAY GROUP

Happy New Year

The first session of the 2018 season will be held on Wednesday 17th January 2018 at the Committee Room of the Milland Valley Memorial Hall, Iping Road, Milland, LIPHOOK GU30 7NA 

commencing at 2.00pm

Full details of the group at www.liphooku3a.org.uk or contact the group leader at model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk

This small friendly group is looking to recruit a few additional members for the new year.

We are keen to move the group on from a "teach & follow" group to one nearer to a small afternoon club for railway modellers- so if your local

(Liphook, Petersfield, Haslemere. Midhurst -except Liphook all locations without a model railway club) get in contact

Fulfil your dream- build a model railway in 2018!

Edited by Wintonian

• 3 weeks later...

LIPHOOK U3A BUILDING A MODEL RAILWAY GROUP- Latest News

We have agreed to move towards an afternoon model railway club format, increase the number of meetings per year to 10 and the length of each meeting from 2 to 3 hours

Our layout East Hants Link will be exhibited at the Liphook U3A Open Day in March

We are recruiting to increase our membership through other local U3A's

Happy Modelling!

• 3 weeks later...

Liphook U3A & Midhurst U3A BUILDING A MODEL RAILWAY GROUP

We have been joined by a new member from Midhurst U3A and as a result we are now a joint group between Liphook & Midhurst U3A's with details on both websites.

The proposals to extend hours per session and change of 3rd Wednesday to 1st Wednesday are awaiting agreement of the MVMH trustees

We have also approached a local model railway club to see if we can be affiliated to them for joint activities

The possibility to change our group name awaits the outcome of these various proposals

Our next meeting is Wednesday 21st February at the Committee Room Milland Valley Memorial Hall, Iping Road, Milland, LIPHOOK GU30 7NA

• 3 weeks later...

MILLAND VALLEY RAILWAY MODELLERS -An afternoon special interest group of Liphook and Midhurst U3A's

(Formerly known as Building A Model Railway Group 2017)

We have changed our group name and on Wednesday 7th March we will be trialling a three hour session starting at 1.30 pm and the sharing of the venue with a local non-U3A

Family History Research Group. We have sole use of the Committee Room at the Milland Valley Memorial Hall whilst the other group use the Main Hall. We will  share toilet and Kitchen facilities

If this trial is successful we will change from holding our meetings from the 3rd to the first Wednesday of the months of January to June and September to December (inclusive) raising the number of meetings from 9 to 10 per year.

We currently have 7 members having successfully attracted two more members to replace some drop outs. We are actively trying to recruit more members and we will be at the Liphook U3A Open Day on Monday 12th March, with our new layout East Hants Link

This event will be held at the Liphook Millennium Centre from 2.00 to 4.00 pm

Please see  Liphook U3A or Midhurst U3A websites for details or contact me at model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk

• 3 weeks later...

MILLAND VALLEY RAILWAY MODELLERS- An afternoon special interest group of Liphook and Midhurst U3A's

​From April 2018 we meet for 3 hours (13.30 to 16.30 hrs) on the first Wednesday of each month  (No meetings in July and August)

at the Milland Valley Memorial Hall Committee Room, Iping Road, Milland, Liphook GU30 7NA

We are a small friendly group of 5 members who would like to grow a little. For details see www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk ; the Liphook U3A or the Midhurst U3A websites

or write to model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk

We look forward to hearing from you

• 2 weeks later...

MILLAND VALLEY RAILWAY MODELLERS

A government edict to increase nursery school hours to 30 hours per week has wiped out our afternoon bookings at our local village hall. The Nursery school now goes on from 08-30 to 15.30

Monday to Thursday which means that our meetings would end at 18.30 -too late for most of our members.

We are now urgently sourcing another hall which doesn't host a Nursery School.

More news soon! 

Edited by Wintonian

• 2 weeks later...

MILLAND VALLEY RAILWAY MODELLERS- an afternoon special interest group of Liphook & Midhurst U3A's on the Hampshire/West Sussex border

ALL CHANGE!

NEW MEETING VENUE- From the May (16th) meeting our new meeting venue will be Redford Village Hall, Redford, MIDHURST GU29 0QF

CHANGED MEETING DATES- Now THIRD WEDNESDAY IN EACH MONTH- No meetings in July August or December

REVISED HOURS- Meetings revert to 14.00 to 16.00 hrs

The venue is just finishing a extensive refurbishment to the interior and exterior of its 1950's hall and we are pleased to be one of the early new users of it.

Group membership is £20 per year . We are a small friendly group of 6 but we hope to grow a little.

Our sessions are fuelled by enthusiasm and prodigious quantities of  coffee , tea and chocolate digestives

You need also to be a member of Liphook or Midhurst U3A or of  the following local U3A groups-Haslemere, Petersfield, or Woolmer Forest (Bordon & Whitehill) 

U3A- University of the Third Age is an international organisation for retired or Semi Retired men and women who are over 55 years of age-https://www.u3a.org.uk/

For details of this group see Liphook U3A or Midhurst U3A websites or see www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk or contact model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk

• 4 months later...

MILLAND VALLEY RAILWAY MODELLERS- an afternoon special interest group of Liphook U3A and Midhurst U3A

After our summer break our meetings resume on Wednesday 19th September at 14.00 hrs at Redford Village Hall, Linch Road, Redford, MIDHURST GU29 0QF

All our attention will be committed to our N scale modern image tram layout- East Hants Link which is due to appear at Liphook & District Model Railway Club's 9th Annual Open Day on

Sunday 21st October at the nearby Milland Valley Memorial Hall.

Our October 17th Meeting will be open to members of the public as a preview to the L&DMRC Open Day on the following Sunday.

We look forward to seeing our local model railway friends at both events.

We are still seeking further members- see Liphook U3A and Midhurst U3A websites or contact Tony Bettger- the group leader at model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk for further info

• 4 weeks later...

MILLAND VALLEY RAILWAY MODELLERS-an afternoon special interest group of Liphook U3A and Midhurst U3A

formerly Building a Model Railway Group- based in the border country of West Sussex, Hampshire and Surrey

We are looking to increase our membership a little (currently 6). You need to be a member of one of the following U3A's- Liphook, Midhurst, Haslemere, Petersfield or Woolmer Forest.

By definition this means you are retired- ladies or gentlemen, who are either new to the model railway hobby or are returning to it after a gap or have a grandchild who needs you to build their first layout

There is a group fee to cover cost of the hall hire, which is partially subsidised out of Liphook U3A central funds (Currently £20 per annum)

Our meetings are held on the third Wednesday of most months (no meetings July, August or December) at Redford Village Hall, Linch Road, Redford, MIDHURST GU29 0QF

Meetings start at 14.00 hrs We have sole use of the hall for 2 hours. Coffee Tea and chocolate digestives on the go throughout -donation of £1 to the Railway Children Charity

The hall has a small kitchen, toilets and has ramped access to one double door. There is off street car parking. About 4 miles from Liphook, Midhurst or Fernhurst and about 10 miles from Petersfield

Search for Liphook U3A or Midhurst U3A websites and go to groups

Write to the group leader at model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk

See details see the website www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk- section marked Milland Valley Railway Modellers

There is a Facebook Page: Milland Valley Railway Modellers with a number of associated pages covering lost of different modelling and transport interests including East Hants

Link which covers our  modern image tramway layout currently under construction.

Our activities are covered locally in the Milland News, Liphook Community Magazine  and free magazines- Vantage Point and Round &About. and local websites

We shall be at Liphook & District Model Railway Club's 9th Annual Open Day at the the Milland Valley Memorial Hall, Iping Road, Milland , LIPHOOK GU30 7NA on Sunday 21st October 2018 10.00 hrs to 16.00 hrs

Pop in and have a chat

Edited by Wintonian

• 4 weeks later...

MILLAND VALLEY RAILWAY MODELLERS-an afternoon special interest group of Liphook U3A and Midhurst U3A

(formerly Building a Model Railway Group)based in the border country of West Sussex, Hampshire and Surrey

Follow progress on our layout- East Hants Link from Wednesday 17th until Saturday 20th October on www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk and on our Facebook Pages

Milland Valley Railway Modellers and East Hants Link. Then see the layout "in the flesh" at the 9th Annual Open Day of Liphook & District MRC- Model Trains in the Valley

at the Milland Valley Memorial Hall, Iping Road, Milland GU30 7NA on Sunday 21st October 10.00hrs to 16.00hrs

We look forward to seeing you!

(formerly Building a Model Railway Group)based in the border country of West Sussex, Hampshire and Surrey

www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk  Facebook- Milland Valley Railway Modellers

We had a great day yesterday (Sunday 21st ) at the Liphook & District MRC Open Day in Milland, West Sussex

There was some fine club/members layouts plus our little effort East Hants Link in a very incomplete form (we did some plaster bandage scenic modelling) plus some examples of fine tree modelling by David one of our our group

Unfortunately the visitor turnout was disappointing due to the fine, warm weather.

Those who did come along will I am sure have had a good time with plenty of chat over the excellent refreshments and purchased a couple of bargains at their club S/H items table

We hope to be invited next year (with a complete running layout)- it will be their 10th annual show and the club's 55th birthday- don't miss it

• 1 month later...

www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk  Facebook- Milland Valley Railway Modellers

We are now in our Christmas close down. Our next regular meeting is Wednesday 16th January 2019 commencing at 14.00hrs at Redford Village Hall, Linch Road, Redford GU29 0QF.

This is the last of our two hour sessions as we go to 3 hours from the February meeting- this is to give us more modelling time -(or chat, eating Chocolate digestives or consuming coffee)

A new membership year commences in February 2019 and I will be collecting membership cheques at the January meeting.

If you are local- in an area bounded by Petersfield, Haslemere, Bordon & Midhurst and you are interested in joining -please contact me at model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk for full details 

Seasons Greetings to all modellers

• 1 year later...

MILLAND VALLEY RAILWAY MODELLERS- an afternoon special interest group of Liphook U3A and Midhurst U3A

With effect from the March meeting we moved from Redford Village Hall to a private address in Milland. We also changed meeting slot to the 2nd Wednesday of each month with no breaks in July,  August or December.

All meetings are currently suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak. Members will receive regular updates of progress on the East Hants Link layout and other projects via e-mail and via the group pages on www.millandvalleyrailway.co.uk and on various Facebook Pages- East Hants Link; Milland Valley Railway Modellers

• 1 year later...

MILLAND VALLEY RAILWAY MODELLERS- an afternoon special interest group of Liphook u3a and Midhurst u3a

Unfortunately we  had no further meetings in 2021, and we have only just arranged for meetings to recommence  from the first week in April 2022- please see our website page on www. millandvalleyrailway.co.uk for full info

Following this period of enforced inactivity, we have lost several members as  their enthusiasm for the hobby waned..  plus one member died (not due to Covid) and another is moving out of the area in the near future.   They're are no fees for use of the venue, but the venue is not suitable for more than around 4 members to be present comfortably.

Further discussions are likely regarding the future of the group, carrying on as is;  having  two groups, on alternate weeks in the current venue or return to meeting at a local hall. None are ideal or without downsides.

If you are local and interested in coming along to two sessions for a trial, please contact me at  model.railways1@liphooku3a.org.uk

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am sorry to say that Tony (Wintonian) passed away yesterday after a short illness. It is maybe worth putting a couple of words down about him as he was an interesting character.

He spent his youth in and around Winchester developing his keen interest in all things transport and engineering; which became two of many passions throughout his life. A trained draftsman, Tony spent his career with Sainsbury's as an architect and store designer, and brought many of those skills into his model making. His interests were not only restricted to UK railways, he was a passionate fan of railways throughout the world with particular interest in French railways. His interest in the country extended to being an active player of boules and a keen traveller - as much as possible using the railways in his travels.

He was also a firm believer in railways (and in particular trams) being the future of our transport needs in an increasingly crowded country, being involved in a number of groups to actively pursue this agenda. His last, and sadly unfinished project, was a what-if scenario of a tram/light rail system serving the proposed eco-towns in the Sussex/Hampshire border; a modular layout in N gauge,

Tony was very much an advocate of model railways, being an active member of a number of clubs throughout the years, including our own Liphook & District MRC. He later started up his own group, firstly under the auspices of the U3A, then as an independent group. 

In his latter years Tony and his family sponsored an annual prize at the local primary school. Named the Hawkshaw prize, after the noted architect and local resident Sir John Hawkshaw, it  recognised the pupil showing the greatest aptitude/interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM). It perhaps best sums up Tony's belief in the importance of engineering and the encouragement of young people into the discipline for the future.

• Friendly/supportive 1