Hornby B12 review

Les Bird

Can anyone recall a review of the Hornby B12 in Model Rail? I have the magazine on subscription so, in theory, I shouldn't have missed an issue but I can't remember seeing a B12 review.

We don't receive Hornby models for review, so they only get reviewed if a member of staff buys one. No one bought a 'B12' so there has been no review. (CJL) 

I think I have read reviews in model rail with the review stating the model was provided by trains4u but can't remember the last time I read it!

Thanks

Mark

Yes, I do borrow models from T4U on occasions (they're very generous in allowing us to do so and the Little Loco Class 15 in the latest issue was loaned by T4U) but it's not really fair to do it too often and it does mean that they are occasionally selling a new model which has been slightly used. It also means there are certain things we can't do - like fitting the extra details. It's not a matter of principle - I believe that our service should be to our readers and that reviews should appear whenever possible. However, Hornby did also stop advertising and that makes it harder to justify spending money on buying review samples. (CJL). 

Edited by dibber25

• RMweb Premium

Hornby Mag had a review. I believe Hornby are supplying them with samples. I don't know if they get them back or not. So if you want reviews of Hornby stuff in future Hornby Mag is your best bet or just look at several enthusiast reviews on YouTube.

Thanks for the replies, especially Chris's explanation. I have read reviews in various magazines but I know that Model Rail's reviews are usually more in depth than some others. It didn't stop me buying a B12!

Hornby Mag had a review. I believe Hornby are supplying them with samples. I don't know if they get them back or not. So if you want reviews of Hornby stuff in future Hornby Mag is your best bet or just look at several enthusiast reviews on YouTube.

If you want an INDEPENDENT review, Model Rail is the one you need. Despite Hornby's support of the magazine that shares their name, Model Rail does still manage to review most of the new Hornby models.  (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, I do borrow models from T4U on occasions (they're very generous in allowing us to do so and the Little Loco Class 15 in the latest issue was loaned by T4U) but it's not really fair to do it too often and it does mean that they are occasionally selling a new model which has been slightly used. It also means there are certain things we can't do - like fitting the extra details. It's not a matter of principle - I believe that our service should be to our readers and that reviews should appear whenever possible. However, Hornby did also stop advertising and that makes it harder to justify spending money on buying review samples. (CJL). 

I was under the impression from the editorial in Railway Modeller for December 2016 that this foolish idea (of not loaning models for review to the relevant media) was about to end. But it appear that this editorial was wrong. In fact it stated that an interview with the boss from Hornby, was expected in the 2017 January issue, but no such thing is there.

I'm behind in receiving the actual magazines (RM & MR) by a couple of months, but there is no reviews mentioned for Hornby locos, on Peco's website preview or on RMweb for Model Rail (for which you usually take the trouble to post the contents. Thanks Chris). So it seems they have NOT reversed this policy, or if they have, its taking a while to trickle through.

I was under the impression from the editorial in Railway Modeller for December 2016 that this foolish idea (of not loaning models for review to the relevant media) was about to end. But it appear that this editorial was wrong. In fact it stated that an interview with the boss from Hornby, was expected in the 2017 January issue, but no such thing is there.

I'm behind in receiving the actual magazines (RM & MR) by a couple of months, but there is no reviews mentioned for Hornby locos, on Peco's website preview or on RMweb for Model Rail (for which you usually take the trouble to post the contents. Thanks Chris). So it seems they have NOT reversed this policy, or if they have, its taking a while to trickle through.

My understanding is that Hornby now has a closer arrangement with Hornby Magazine than it did before and that the position regarding other magazines remains the same as it was. I'm still hoping that a reversal of policy IS taking a while to trickle through. In the meantime we have lots of Hornby's competitors' models to feature. I would like to have reviewed the 'B12' but it isn't a loco that I want for my layout and at upwards of £150 it is difficult to justify it as an optional purchase and its not something I can charge to the magazine. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

My understanding is that Hornby now has a closer arrangement with Hornby Magazine than it did before and that the position regarding other magazines remains the same as it was. I'm still hoping that a reversal of policy IS taking a while to trickle through. In the meantime we have lots of Hornby's competitors' models to feature. I would like to have reviewed the 'B12' but it isn't a loco that I want for my layout and at upwards of £150 it is difficult to justify it as an optional purchase and its not something I can charge to the magazine. (CJL)

So extending that theory, the day might come when the Railway Modeller will be the only place to read reviews of Peco products and other makers will have to start their own publications/online reviews.

That will be a sad day, when reviews can't be done independently, without going out and buying a sample for review.

• RMweb Premium

You can get reviews from the most impartial people on the internet. Lots of them usually on You Tube and usually from a consumers point of view. Does it run well etc.

As to samples , I think Hornby concluded the magazines needed them to sell more copies rather than Hornby needed them to sell more models, it was costing them money so decided to stop. It was then modified because it was pointed out not all people access internet , so they've come to an arrangement with Hornby Mag. I note it works both ways and that Hornby have actually uploaded the Hornby Mag review of Sound Class 20 onto their website.

I have written before that the easy way round it is for Mags to come to arrangement with local shop . Buy the model for review then sell back to shop after. I'm sure there would be no shortage of takers for a new release being sold second hand . Yes sure it still costs the Mag money but maybe only £50 instead of £160. Or alternatively the mag could give away as prizes.

So extending that theory, the day might come when the Railway Modeller will be the only place to read reviews of Peco products and other makers will have to start their own publications/online reviews.

That will be a sad day, when reviews can't be done independently, without going out and buying a sample for review.

Peco have always been very happy to have their models reviewed in Model Rail. We have several active modelers in different scales and gauges on our staff so I don't think it's likely that we'll come to a point where we aren't using Peco products. At present it really is only Hornby where review coverage of new products is hit-and-miss. (CJL)

I don't buy/subscribe, i only buy at the newsstand when an issue with articles of interest to me appears, so I'd never even noticed that new Hornby products weren't being regularly reviewed.  I don't know if that says more about the level of interest i have in Hornby's new models and seeing reviews of them, or my level of attentiveness to the product reviews section generally.

Either way, i just wanted to say i appreciate Chris' openess on why Model Rail isn't regularly reviewing Hornby products.

Stephen

• Like 1