Lynmouth to Combe Martin L&B modular 009

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Paul - any news on the sound decoders?

Not yet, Paul Martin has been rebuilding the EDM website and having trouble with the castings for Townsend Hook so I haven't added to the hassle   I'll drop him a line next month to see how it's going if I don't hear. Don't worry there will be videos once they are done!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Paul - any news on the sound decoders?

I now have LYD and awaiting LEW but hope to start building Blackmoor Gate very soon with its first show booking for November 2020. Just need to finish the fascia and guttering on the shed before diverting attention to the new layout.

How have you found the colour of Heljan LYD matching that of LYD's SR green livery in reality?   I thought the green was 'thin' but then I have been told that when built LYD was in Urie Green being repainted Maunsell Green later.   

Just now, coline33 said:

How have you found the colour of Heljan LYD matching that of LYD's SR green livery in reality?   I thought the green was 'thin' but then I have been told that when built LYD was in Urie Green being repainted Maunsell Green later.   

Sorry, my last reference to LYD should have read LEW - apologies.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

With Paul Levy’s soon to be released kit for Parracombe getting a test build on my bench I decided to redo my WW1 module to include in the Freem009 modules. 
The bank was cut away to allow room for the platform and the muddy track replaced with fresh track. 

Parracombe kit by Paul Levy Models

Platform base laid in with cork with a cutout for the concrete hut base.

The edging stones appear to be stone blocks so I found some basswood of the right size and chopped it up to size. 

The hut was glued in with pva and fine buff ballast used for the road, platform and interior. 

Then a bit of static grass and some Ratio SR concrete fence posts. 

I’ve tried to suggest a bit of verdigris on the asbestos sheeting with brown and green washes and I’m experimenting with a lichen effect to add later. 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Next job is three of the super little huts Ian kindly cast for me from his model. I filled bubbles I could and I’ll hide the other minor ones with ivy. They need weathering too. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 13

Paul, I trust you already have the CWRailways L&B lamp hut complete with the interior items?   Your mentioning elsewhere of other uses for Paul's 'Parracombe halt' hut, my 'Snapper halt' which came from him, forms the only shelter for intending passengers at 'Camber Sands West halt' on my "East Quay" layout.   It blends well into a sand dune!

• RMweb Gold

No I don’t have any of his lamp huts, the detailing will carry on as I find bits but the focus is really operation. 
On that theme I’ve ripped out a point on (Piltonish) Town Quay. I’d used up what I had in stock and formed a curve that ended up too sharp which meant the MW’s couldn’t use half the shed! So I’ve bought a left hand point and lifted the track to bring it back under 12” radius. 

50870875506_5b0d84d102_b.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I need a Junction for the Combe Martin branch so Blackmoor Jn has finally been started, it also forms a boxed up pair with Town Quay. 

Freem009 modules

Freem009 modules

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Well it’s about planning for stacked storage, the spare room is rather cosy! One problem is the US modules have been in the garage over a year now and the damp is not helping as I’ve got mould on several. The lack of activity has meant it’s not been used much and not aired so damp has got in. Might have to scrap the HO modules. Until I can get them out and see how bad it is I’m not sure. Fortunately all the other layouts and modules are inside in a much drier climate. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2021 at 18:56, roundhouse said:

So which side of Blackmoor station is Blackmoor Junction?:rolleyes:

Barnstaple end

50870469968_e24a53b24a_c.jpg

(at the moment . . . ) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2021 at 22:48, PaulRhB said:

Silliness has arrived. There are issues with the blue that must be down to the powercars being varnished so I need to find some more enamel varnish!

A9C250BC-0CCC-40AC-92F4-B96C8F71FCC8.jpeg.f045459c7969ccd27ad934c521c3a9ca.jpeg

Would look good in L&B Livery.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Freem009

Freem009

I bought another of Paul Levy’s kits off eBay, Mill Lane bridge now slotted in and painted. Based on a pic of the internet I started off with white them dry brushed on brown and grey. Then added a wash that went too flat brown so washed with white and then dry brushed with brown and grey again. Finally red and brown were mixed to highlight the bricks. 

Mill Lane L&B bridge

Mill Lane L&B bridge

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3