Lynmouth to Combe Martin L&B modular 009

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

On the Junction I need some simplified signalling. I found some Crescent and Triang signals that look the part and importantly will be resistant to the handling in the operation of the modules. The bracket has its base chopped off to reduce its height, 

Freem009

and the Triang ones will be let into the board to hide the base. 

Freem009

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Way back in 2017 I came up with the idea to lengthen Lynmouth and use the better looking mainline points. This needed a longer run round so the goods yard solved the problem and gives more operation. 

Lynmouth 009

Three and a half years later! I built the board and faced it by blocking out the curves with foam outside the frame and laminating card layers around that. 

Lynmouth 009

Now to join it up to the original!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Way back in 2017 I came up with the idea to lengthen Lynmouth and use the better looking mainline points. This needed a longer run round so the goods yard solved the problem and gives more operation. 
B65BD4BC-297A-4DCF-91C0-5D031613F7F7.jpeg.025ee620bb635ed06a5a51ab5b5f7141.jpeg

Three and a half years later! I built the board and faced it by blocking out the curves with foam outside the frame and laminating card layers around that. 
6E39E8E8-85B0-4A61-888D-36D54EF375EB.jpeg.99a0e17b8cf71d2bd9322ab69b243be9.jpeg

Now to join it up to the original!

99DA764C-40E3-43DE-B14A-E5525C1CDC57.jpeg.3109384b1f0a27d3e4b068de0f0caf5b.jpeg

There is also room to extend the station building:D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

There is also room to extend the station building:D

:lol: I’d need to add another 4ft in between to even attempt that and then I can’t fit up a second station in the flat ;) 

No I’ll settle for my quick mini version and just admire your super model of Blackmoor :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit of rethinking has gone on and as I want to build a Barnstaple ish terminus what I originally called Gratton Lane is going to be upgraded to become Combe Martin. Basically I’ll graft a piece on the side to allow the Scenecraft station to fit on and the siding module will be turned into the goods sidings and mine. It will still work as a through module if required as the loading platform on the through line will be removable. 

Freem009 at Wimborne 2019

The basic shell of Lynmouth goods shed was also cut from foam. 

Freem009 goods shed

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I hollowed out more of the shed interior using a pencil hotwire, with a 4” wire, it’s not as precise as the main wire as it gets so hot it melts a bigger area around it so I open out a hole and then clean it up with a scalpel. It does get into dead end bits though that the wire can’t cut. 

Freem009 shed

I use this one that’s about £25 on Amazon 

50974858316_a66fd5d486_b.jpg

Then I drew / engraved in the stonework with the nib of my propelling pencil to get the smaller stonework of the real shed finer than a normal pencil would. 

Freem009 shed

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks it’s just a base coat of light grey and then a liberal dry brush of a mid brown followed by light dry brushing with a darker brown and grey. They are all diy store emulsion test pots. 

primed with

50976393233_ac3ec51cfc_b.jpg

cordoba used as the main base dry brush coat 

50977197917_55a7d35e50_b.jpg

sophisticated mixing palette 

50977197912_cf041a97d3_b.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Paul, are you having an isolated section of track in the goods yard?

Unlike the first one that I built many years ago the second crane has positionable outriggers so it could pay a visit to your yard at some point if we are at the same show. The rigging still needs to be added.

20210225_141450-picsay.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Paul, are you having an isolated section of track in the goods yard?

I wasn’t but I’m sure I could hide a switch to do it if I remember ;) Failing that a bit of clear polythene under the wheels would work. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

I wasn’t but I’m sure I could hide a switch to do it if I remember ;) Failing that a bit of clear polythene under the wheels would work. 

It was an isolated short section of track where the crane sat for virtually its entirety on the L and B.

The shed does look a good match.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Knap Down mine is going to need some explosives, I’ve just renumbered and lettered these. 
One for each era, (I know the numbers may overlap but they were the easiest to do with a cocktail stick).

Gunpowder vans 009

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Planted a load of fenceposts today and started on the shrubbery!

Freem009 Blackmoor Jn

Quite pleased with the dried grass, it’s a second layer on top of the darker green using straw, just the tips are dried. Just lightly brushed pva over the tips of the first layer to stick it on top. 

Freem009 Blackmoor Jn

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1