Lynmouth to Combe Martin L&B modular 009

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

I was alerted to these on the NGRM forum. Made by Tomytec they come as static models but can be motorised with an additional chassis. I intend to motorise them but with a bobo one rather than the four wheel chassis they are intended to have. 

Tomytec

They also came with this little coach so the two are going to be converted into a railcar

Tomytec

I also got some of the Tomytec wagons and converted the couplings using the Peco gr102 ones & gr103 pockets. 

Tomytec

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Overhead wires on the L & B:D

Or are they going to get a generator car to go behind them?

I thought a low battery car so they don’t need to run round to see over it? ;)

I suggested to Tim we put up wires for electric bankers on his Clyre Valley as it would be eco friendly to get regenerative braking on the down trains ;) He didn’t seem keen for some reason. 

I suspect a little module with tramway style overhead will appear . . .

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I was thinking about this, the Swiss et al had recognised the benefits of electrickery in the mountains early, And the Southern had plenty of experience with both overhead and third rail, so why wouldn’t the enterprising folk of little Switzerland experiment with overhead (and possibly the rack) for the steep climbs out of Combe Martin 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I was alerted to these on the NGRM forum. Made by Tomytec they come as static models but can be motorised with an additional chassis. I intend to motorise them but with a bobo one rather than the four wheel chassis they are intended to have. 

D4ECE3F3-E904-4892-9210-32B2365F9B19.jpeg.bf8d7d7c84206b71e002224e0febe6b0.jpeg

They also came with this little coach so the two are going to be converted into a railcar

I also got some of the Tomytec wagons and converted the couplings using the Peco gr102 ones & gr103 pockets. 

Those are very smart,  a repaint in green and they would be very "Southern Bulleid style".

Additionally, replacing the pantograph with an exhaust, and the side windows with grills, and you've got a diesel version.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Jon Gwinnett said:

I was thinking about this, the Swiss et al had recognised the benefits of electrickery in the mountains early, And the Southern had plenty of experience with both overhead and third rail, so why wouldn’t the enterprising folk of little Switzerland experiment with overhead (and possibly the rack) for the steep climbs out of Combe Martin 

Well I solved the steep climb by putting the station high on the valley side above the town like Lynton ;) 

It’s opened another idea though that these would look quite good in green . . .

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I suppose with a modular system you can't have a set backscene due to the variable combinations. I wonder if you could just get something like a roller blind with a generic scene, which could be pulled out along the back of whatever layout/setup was in use?

• RMweb Gold
On 02/09/2021 at 23:19, Ramblin Rich said:

I suppose with a modular system you can't have a set backscene due to the variable combinations. I wonder if you could just get something like a roller blind with a generic scene, which could be pulled out along the back of whatever layout/setup was in use?

I had an idea for the RhB system I might try out with this one day. I was thinking of a similar picture on a 4ft deep banner wrapped around a frame in the middle so it’s in view from most angles. 

Musings on backscenes

It would need careful sizing to get it in scale from normal viewing distances. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

You could go with plain sky, with some scenery on the layout built ultra-low relief to semi-incorporate the attached backscene.  

These are Freemo-type modules, though, are they not?   Is there truly a front and rear of the modules?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

These are Freemo-type modules, though, are they not?   Is there truly a front and rear of the modules?

No as you say they are all reversible as they are accessed from either side. 
There’s some experiments to be done with what works best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure someone has worn a shirt printed with a sky background so they can be less obtrusive behind their layout. Possibly Brian Harrap as his Quay 87 layout had no defined front or back - or sides for that matter....

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38591-quai87/&tab=comments#comment-411693

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I'm sure someone has worn a shirt printed with a sky background so they can be less obtrusive behind their layout. Possibly Brian Harrap as his Quay 87 layout had no defined front or back - or sides for that matter....

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38591-quai87/&tab=comments#comment-411693

Brian had the famous apron ;) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit of a diversion from the L&B due to the incoming Ffestiniog locos ;)

Two modules, one based on the level crossing and station at Penrhyndeudraeth and the second on Cei Mawr embankment. 

Freem009 “The Wall”

Freem009’ The Wall’

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Based on photos of Cei Mawr I’ve scribed the random blocks, some quite big, using a pencil. Now to start adding some basic ground forms and then the messy colour bit. 

51596146367_ef47890f95_b.jpg

51598829958_92a285a7ab_b.jpg

51604582869_cc6d2cff38_b.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Liking the techniques you are using on the polystyrene. What glue are you using to stick the polystyrene together?

Cheers

Just the green evostick pva wood glue. I buy in big containers and decant into the little squeeze bottles to save money. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1