The Dragon's Friendly Light Railway

Hi vjoneslong, you back yard is about as big,as our whole yard measures 800 square metres, more back yard and front yard is in garden with large tress and hedge only have the  foot path to mow and the back yard garden right around the fence line and one side of the house, could never get grass to grow there.

Gauges can be confusing with some many different ones out there to model , I will stick to HO scale, those clock Mallard's be a hard item to find, I like to one day own a Garratt, be huge in the bigger scales, is on the drawing board to build my own needing two 4-8-4 running megs and one modified boiler, a friend built his own , he said lasted years.

Thanks as well putting me straight on the gauges as well Berry, what so confusing is the  metre size when threw me off, didn't know 16mm is either 32 or 45mm gauge which my train club has and O scale.

At least your other half likes to run steamies she may one day run a diesel, be good if I can get my other half to do the same , she may once the layout is up and running, one day I may last out and buy Hornby's 00 scale live steam Mallard loco ., already have the Flying Scott 4472 two of them one has two tenders and the second tender is powers as well, more grunt.

Where is Nottingham  is It close to the coast, down in the southern states they can have three climates in one day, the day I visited Canberra it was freezing in October and raining, lucky I took a warm jacket, by the weekend it was hot picked the wrong day to go, in QLD we not like that hot in summer, cold in winter, that is why you have nice green plants and grass, heard the UK gets quite humid over there.in summer

Quiet day here today, want to go to the hobby shop in Ipswich to buy the 3mm styrene  rod tomorrow.

Now I have your post link saved can much easier to check your progress.

Tony from down under.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies for the lack of service chaps. Ill health and work got in the way.

I think Tony you might be confusing scale and gauge. 16mm refers to the scale. The gauge of the track is normally 32mm (o gauge) or 45mm (gauge 1).

Your line is looking very nice Matt. It certainly gives you a nice long run!

Thanks Matt. I need to get myself on the East Mids list and have a open day. I hope business is going well!

Hi vjoneslong, you back yard is about as big,as our whole yard measures 800 square metres, more back yard and front yard is in garden with large tress and hedge only have the  foot path to mow and the back yard garden right around the fence line and one side of the house, could never get grass to grow there.

Gauges can be confusing with some many different ones out there to model , I will stick to HO scale, those clock Mallard's be a hard item to find, I like to one day own a Garratt, be huge in the bigger scales, is on the drawing board to build my own needing two 4-8-4 running megs and one modified boiler, a friend built his own , he said lasted years.

Thanks as well putting me straight on the gauges as well Berry, what so confusing is the  metre size when threw me off, didn't know 16mm is either 32 or 45mm gauge which my train club has and O scale.

At least your other half likes to run steamies she may one day run a diesel, be good if I can get my other half to do the same , she may once the layout is up and running, one day I may last out and buy Hornby's 00 scale live steam Mallard loco ., already have the Flying Scott 4472 two of them one has two tenders and the second tender is powers as well, more grunt.

Where is Nottingham  is It close to the coast, down in the southern states they can have three climates in one day, the day I visited Canberra it was freezing in October and raining, lucky I took a warm jacket, by the weekend it was hot picked the wrong day to go, in QLD we not like that hot in summer, cold in winter, that is why you have nice green plants and grass, heard the UK gets quite humid over there.in summer

Quiet day here today, want to go to the hobby shop in Ipswich to buy the 3mm styrene  rod tomorrow.

Now I have your post link saved can much easier to check your progress.

Tony from down under.

Hi Tony. Scales/gauges are always confusing. The way I think of it is I say 16mm to the foot, or a ratio of 1:19. Yes it is technically O-gauge track (32mm between rails) but O is 7mm to foot so mine is alot bigger. 

Nottingham is slap bang in the middle, we're about 70 miles from the coast (your never more than about 76 miles from the sea in the UK). Its on the eastern side of the country so we tend to be slightly drier and warmer than the western side. At the moment we are cooling off after a mini heat wave. I'm pleased to say I must have gotten the expansion gap right as nothing has buckled.

Not so much progress as of late. I tried to run some trains last night, but it turned into a complete disaster. Gear slipped on Chattenden, Dragons transmitter is kaput, Sophie derailed on first lap and bent the cab, and Countess lost a bolt for the expansion link which vanished into the ether. I eventually managed to get Joan running around 9 o clock last night. Argh!

Glad I'm not the only one that has all these problems .The last open day nothing would steam or run , managed near the end to run my criccieth castle after a quick battery charge .Now whom forgets to charge up there batteries ? But it is irritating

.30153824050_a9f0c21ac1.jpgIMG_0812 by phil, on Flickr  

Got serious problems with this after a gas jet change still running  sick So that's on my todo list next .   phil

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the problems last night Idris - all too familiar to me as well.  After weeks of fault-free operation, last week I had flat battery issues, a leaking gas adapter, a broken gauge glass, a loose tyre, the collapse of a white metal bogie and a broken fishplate that caused a derailment (the first time in 35 years of using Peco track in 4 different gauges where I've seen a rail joiner fracture in the middle of a joint).  I had to console myself with the thought that I'm running a real railway in miniature, and there are reasons why real railways have strict maintenance regimes, but I was really fed up at the time. So I'm right there with you and Phil.

David

• RMweb Gold

Glad I'm not the only one that has all these problems .The last open day nothing would steam or run , managed near the end to run my criccieth castle after a quick battery charge .Now whom forgets to charge up there batteries ? But it is irritating

.30153824050_a9f0c21ac1.jpgIMG_0812 by phil, on Flickr  

Got serious problems with this after a gas jet change still running  sick So that's on my todo list next .   phil

Sorry to hear about the problems last night Idris - all too familiar to me as well.  After weeks of fault-free operation, last week I had flat battery issues, a leaking gas adapter, a broken gauge glass, a loose tyre, the collapse of a white metal bogie and a broken fishplate that caused a derailment (the first time in 35 years of using Peco track in 4 different gauges where I've seen a rail joiner fracture in the middle of a joint).  I had to console myself with the thought that I'm running a real railway in miniature, and there are reasons why real railways have strict maintenance regimes, but I was really fed up at the time. So I'm right there with you and Phil.

David

Oh dear. Sounds like steam engines don't like the hot weather either! 

• Like 1

Oh dear. Sounds like steam engines don't like the hot weather either! 

Great to have you back idris! hope you're on the mend  :friends: i was thinking about how they would handle in very hot weather! Personally i don't think i'd want to be lighting fires in weather like that ..it was hot enough as it was!  .....and don't mention the idiot neighbours around here who light the barbies up at every slightest glimpse of an hot day :ireful: having swmbo bringing the washing in, and having to close all the bloody windows! :angry: A couple of times a week is ok but not every single day and a dozen at it all at once  :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Great to have you back idris! hope you're on the mend  :friends: i was thinking about how they would handle in very hot weather! Personally i don't think i'd want to be lighting fires in weather like that ..it was hot enough as it was!  .....and don't mention the idiot neighbours around here who light the barbies up at every slightest glimpse of an hot day :ireful: having swmbo bringing the washing in, and having to close all the bloody windows! :angry: A couple of times a week is ok but not every single day and a dozen at it all at once  :rolleyes:

Thanks Pinzer. You should get your revenge with a coal steam engine and make some clag!

I was on the footplate of a standard guage steam engine at the weekend and I can testify that it's a little bit uncomfortable. If you'd like to get an idea what it's like, try turning on your central heating fully, closing the doors and windows and doing an hour's exercise.  :heat:

• Like 2

Hi Vjonelong,, I have a few weeks spell from thelayout as well, me being unwell and son in hospial last week for a week,, it must get pretty humid over in the UK then and surprised about that garratt having heating issues, sorted out now, one of the members  in my train club has one of those locos but in 0 scale, I am thinking of scratch building a Garratt, like the NSW Garratt's they are quite huge.

January to March is our worse months for humidity over here go as high 98 percent..

Did you manage to fix the bent cab, gear slipping not good, the layout before this one my grades were a bit steep and a few locos couldn't handle it my DD40AX started to have wheel slipping, didn't have a matching loco  to double head, new layout wont have any issues , my grades are 2 percent and curve on the ramp 12feet across , quarter inch a foot by 24feet in length, gaining 6 inches in height, going to look awesome.

What time does the sun set  late at night , in Western Australia, it is 9pm , would love that more time on the layout..

Back into working on my layout  now aiming to get something running buy the weekend.

Tony from cold down under.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Vjonelong,, I have a few weeks spell from thelayout as well, me being unwell and son in hospial last week for a week,, it must get pretty humid over in the UK then and surprised about that garratt having heating issues, sorted out now, one of the members  in my train club has one of those locos but in 0 scale, I am thinking of scratch building a Garratt, like the NSW Garratt's they are quite huge.

January to March is our worse months for humidity over here go as high 98 percent..

Did you manage to fix the bent cab, gear slipping not good, the layout before this one my grades were a bit steep and a few locos couldn't handle it my DD40AX started to have wheel slipping, didn't have a matching loco  to double head, new layout wont have any issues , my grades are 2 percent and curve on the ramp 12feet across , quarter inch a foot by 24feet in length, gaining 6 inches in height, going to look awesome.

What time does the sun set  late at night , in Western Australia, it is 9pm , would love that more time on the layout..

Back into working on my layout  now aiming to get something running buy the weekend.

Tony from cold down under.

Hi Tony. Sorry to hear you have been unwell but glad to hear your getting better.

Not much humidity here to be honest. Sun is setting around half nine at the moment, but we are just past the summer solstice so its all downhill from here.

Cab is fixed, and gear re-meshed and tightened up. 

I haven't been working on the layout as such, but have been running some trains. Although I did install the locking mechanism to the lift out bridge.

Right! As promised some photos of trains last week and last night.

I installed a bufferstop at Much Camping. 

35542259485_662306a123_c.jpgP1050054 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

I've also been tidying up the flower beds as well.

35542260575_7109b30b58_c.jpgP1050055 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34732842203_64f16caf25_c.jpgP1050056 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

I played about with installing guttering ala Pinzer and the McMullen Coal Company.

34732843613_a35ed6f38f_c.jpgP1050057 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

I started steaming Dragon, only for the transmitter packing up.

35155141820_fa754df0f8_c.jpgP1050058 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

This meant Chattenden and the newly re-rc-ed Baugley had more time to be left to pootle round.

35155143810_1e29654276_c.jpgP1050059 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35503167916_1515098072_c.jpgP1050060 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

I finally got some steam running through Joan.

34732847553_c40ac3b3b8_c.jpgP1050061 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35503169336_d6ce9de87c_c.jpgP1050062 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35155151330_d74a937158_c.jpgP1050065 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

I placed one of recently finished figures in the brake van, and used the dusk to use my lamps and lights.

34732849563_eb5d6028ff_c.jpgP1050063 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35503170446_3f82497bf7_c.jpgP1050064 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35503171496_f9224004d6_c.jpgP1050066 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35503172736_89a6d982c8_c.jpgP1050067 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

I've been working on laying the station as well. The idea is that you will be able to shunt and prepare a goods train while not going anywhere near the running lines. Unfortunately the loop and running lines are a little too close, so I will need to move things. 

35503173886_543e3de043_c.jpgP1050068 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35542258015_5ffec23d28_c.jpgP1050069 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35503175746_1d2b903f08_c.jpgP1050070 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

Last night saw an attempt to run some double headed trains, though it took a while to setup. Engines of choice were no. 14 and Countess.

34722476814_b4d08efebc_c.jpgP1050074 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34722476044_21a71bf85f_c.jpgP1050075 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35395583422_77b1875dd6_c.jpgP1050080 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34722474664_f10e891eaa_c.jpgP1050088 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34722474534_09dacbd488_c.jpgP1050089 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35395582012_b73938fd89_c.jpgP1050108 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35563318515_a98dc8dbf5_c.jpgP1050116 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34722472744_df3902ccfb_c.jpgP1050113 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35395580592_4b0853874e_c.jpgP1050119 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35395580972_a1bfec8d3a_c.jpgP1050129 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

• Like 5

Excellent stuff Matthew" :dancing:  Working lights, double heading and night time shots, plenty to drool over for us novices :derisive:  Just watch the guttering in dry spells! and keep 'em watered well...and watch for heavy rain soakings as you'll soon see if they are fixed on well enough as i rightly know from my efforts :fool:  :derisive: Love the lattice work on the bridge sides, is it some sort of brass etching?  :good:

• RMweb Gold

Excellent stuff Matthew" :dancing:  Working lights, double heading and night time shots, plenty to drool over for us novices :derisive:  Just watch the guttering in dry spells! and keep 'em watered well...and watch for heavy rain soakings as you'll soon see if they are fixed on well enough as i rightly know from my efforts :fool:  :derisive: Love the lattice work on the bridge sides, is it some sort of brass etching?  :good:

Thanks Pinzer, but its a pale effort compared to your creations. I tend to go round the garden each evening with a hosepipe to make sure everything has had a drink, so I'm trying to keep on top of it. We haven't had any meaningful rain for a month (maybe two) but it is due to hit today so will have my fingers crossed. 

The lattice is a brass etching, with the support structure made from aluminium. Its a MVL bridge.

• Like 1

Brilliant stuff Idris - looking great, and I love the double-header, as well as the way that Countess looks to have a realistically-scorched smokebox door from working hard.  I really like the way that you and Bob have locos that look so real.  So many 16mm locos (including my own) look far too clean, but you both have locos that look like real honest hard-working machines, rather than shiny museum pieces that never turn a wheel in anger.  I clearly have work to do on my own fleet....

David

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant stuff Idris - looking great, and I love the double-header, as well as the way that Countess looks to have a realistically-scorched smokebox door from working hard.  I really like the way that you and Bob have locos that look so real.  So many 16mm locos (including my own) look far too clean, but you both have locos that look like real honest hard-working machines, rather than shiny museum pieces that never turn a wheel in anger.  I clearly have work to do on my own fleet....

David

Thanks David, you are too kind.

That scorched smokebox was not intentional. Its a earlier Countess with only a small aluminium plate over the inside to prevent too much burner heat hitting the door. I still had the burner up too high when I first started running her years ago and hence thats what happened. I hope to one day remove the smokebox and put some high temperature paint on it.

• Like 1

Thanks David, you are too kind.

That scorched smokebox was not intentional. Its a earlier Countess with only a small aluminium plate over the inside to prevent too much burner heat hitting the door. I still had the burner up too high when I first started running her years ago and hence thats what happened. I hope to one day remove the smokebox and put some high temperature paint on it.

Still looks bloody brilliant though, real damage and not fake like mine! Love the colours and the lining on the countess and No: 4...lovely shade of Blue!  :good:  :)

• RMweb Gold

Still looks bloody brilliant though, real damage and not fake like mine! Love the colours and the lining on the countess and No: 4...lovely shade of Blue!  :good:  :)

Thanks! I can't take credit for any of it. But there is plenty of real damage now, as Countess derailed on a curve and it bent that cab  :ireful: - fortunately not by much. 

Thanks! I can't take credit for any of it. But there is plenty of real damage now, as Countess derailed on a curve and it bent that cab  :ireful: - fortunately not by much. 

Bent my countess  on its first run out  ,smashed the whistles off on a low bridge and found it upside down still steaming after track had collapsed . All part of the driving experience :jester:   phil

PS      Great pics

Edited by 77philg

Hi vjonelong, thanks, much better now , good to get back into the layout construction I finished the bus wiring on the first station module and if I set up the 3 station modules and front corner module I could run a test loco, set back with the timing of the first run now, be the first week of July , I am working on the first approach module car port end (southern end) so can switch the loco back onto the temporary  main line passing loop.

Have to agree those pics are pure awesome ,I like you choice of garden plants, I was hopping to get my HO scale garden railway down closer to ground level, the pergola floor isn't level 9inches height difference from the car port, once I finish where the curved ramp  be going in the garden I will be planting taller plants, I have in the side garden plants like you have be a good back drop.

Have to ask in pic 15 the extension in the in the staging yard are you planning to extend the track, like the building which I reckon brings a layout to life, I am modelling Sydney Central station my version be cutting back about 10 windows, if I modelled the building to frontage scale  be over 8feet wide and all those terminus platforms 15 of them I am only modelling about 8 platforms and three suburban platforms.

Nice 9pm sun sets , more running time in the afternoons, our days are getting longer now , mightn't have a cold winter again, save the grass being burnt with Jack Frost, I plan to put a big effort in the yard and gardens in spring top dressing the grass and more bark for the gardens..

Keep the pics flowing and video's, I bought a Ozito electric drill bit sharpen yesterday   on the con for sliding mitre saw fathers day coming up have to work on my son, same brand..

Tony from down under

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bent my countess  on its first run out  ,smashed the whistles off on a low bridge and found it upside down still steaming after track had collapsed . All part of the driving experience :jester:   phil

PS      Great pics

Thanks Phil. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I'm going to have a look at that curve I think. She is the second one to fall off there (technically its the wagons that derail and drag the engine down). 

Hi vjonelong, thanks, much better now , good to get back into the layout construction I finished the bus wiring on the first station module and if I set up the 3 station modules and front corner module I could run a test loco, set back with the timing of the first run now, be the first week of July , I am working on the first approach module car port end (southern end) so can switch the loco back onto the temporary  main line passing loop.

Have to agree those pics are pure awesome ,I like you choice of garden plants, I was hopping to get my HO scale garden railway down closer to ground level, the pergola floor isn't level 9inches height difference from the car port, once I finish where the curved ramp  be going in the garden I will be planting taller plants, I have in the side garden plants like you have be a good back drop.

Have to ask in pic 15 the extension in the in the staging yard are you planning to extend the track, like the building which I reckon brings a layout to life, I am modelling Sydney Central station my version be cutting back about 10 windows, if I modelled the building to frontage scale  be over 8feet wide and all those terminus platforms 15 of them I am only modelling about 8 platforms and three suburban platforms.

Nice 9pm sun sets , more running time in the afternoons, our days are getting longer now , mightn't have a cold winter again, save the grass being burnt with Jack Frost, I plan to put a big effort in the yard and gardens in spring top dressing the grass and more bark for the gardens..

Keep the pics flowing and video's, I bought a Ozito electric drill bit sharpen yesterday   on the con for sliding mitre saw fathers day coming up have to work on my son, same brand..

Tony from down under

Thanks Tony. Glad to hear the wiring is coming along nicely. 

The plants are a mixture of appropriate to the railway and ones my wife likes. I tend to let things go semi wild if I can and just prune as they start to over reach. 

Yes there will be a small extension. I need to lay the blocks for the main goods yard which will fill a small triangle of land which is currently all weeds at the moment. Must do that shortly!

I had intended to spend yesterday evening working on some wagons, but a friend came round for cheering up after a nasty split from a long term relationship, so out came No. 14 and I let him drive her round for an hour. I did manage to get clean up and glue together some buffers for the wagons.

34742532654_4f92885e0c_c.jpg2017-06-28_08-00-07 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Another small amount of progress last night. I've had 4 accucraft wagons sitting on the windowsill for the last 4 months waiting for me to modify and repaint to GW Freight Grey. I decided to set myself the task of at least getting two if not three out the way.

So having made the two sets of buffers, I then progressed to drill a new hole (to allow the centre buffer to be fixed), and fill in the original screw holes for the accucraft chopper couplings. I then added the pin and chain for the brake lever, and put a little bit of Gorilla Glue in various parts to make sure it wasn't going to get lost/broken easily. I then rubbed off the original Accucraft transfers with some 1,000 grit Wet 'n' Dry ready for painting which will happen either tonight or tomorrow. Finally I masked off the builders plates to stop these getting painted over.

34755852124_5f9f416312_c.jpgIMAG0963 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35466842081_6474416f19_c.jpgIMAG0964 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35428745542_67c7ca4f43_c.jpgIMAG0965 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35466841441_1b03d03d11_c.jpgIMAG0966 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

If I can get them sprayed today/tomorrow it means the paint can have a week to harden while I'm on holiday. Keep fingers crossed we get a couple of dry hours now.

• Like 3

Hi Mathew

Just curious do you spray from cans or airbrush? Myself prefer the airbrush and acrylics now much cleaner,  easier to mix a batch of paint  and I can do it in the workshop

post-3023-0-24351000-1498729822.jpg

I've put a lot of clutter away, :no:  but I never can keep this area clear. Too many projects :scratchhead:   but as you can see the spray booth sits in the workshop . Works for me anyway  The garage is full of  a lathe and various woodwork machines and junk .Which is on my to do list phil

• Like 1

Nice work yet again young Man! Hope you really enjoy the Hols' :sungum:  i'm off on mine all next week myself to a certain place in N.Wales beginning with the letter 'P'... :yahoo:  so i'll be on a NG platform or train every day around there if i can help it! and sod swmbo  :no: Look out for my satin Black bling'd up Rat-Rod mobility scooter. :laugh: I've always used car spray cans/paint for all my stuff, finished off by hand painting up the smaller details. :drag: but i've always wanted an airbrush :yes: Nice workshop Phil'...mine's not been used yet but just as cluttered up.

post-31611-0-07861300-1498734646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mathew

Just curious do you spray from cans or airbrush? Myself prefer the airbrush and acrylics now much cleaner,  easier to mix a batch of paint  and I can do it in the workshop

attachicon.gifIMG_0863.JPG

I've put a lot of clutter away, :no:  but I never can keep this area clear. Too many projects :scratchhead:   but as you can see the spray booth sits in the workshop . Works for me anyway  The garage is full of  a lathe and various woodwork machines and junk .Which is on my to do list phil

Thanks Phil. I can't use the workshop at the moment. Its a dilapidated asbestos garage which we intend to replace shortly. At the moment I'm taking over the dining room table. Like Pinzer I don't have an airbrush set, though pondering asking for one for Christmas. I use rattle cans and hand painting for the moment.

Nice work yet again young Man! Hope you really enjoy the Hols' :sungum:  i'm off on mine all next week myself to a certain place in N.Wales beginning with the letter 'P'... :yahoo:  so i'll be on a NG platform or train every day around there if i can help it! and sod swmbo  :no: Look out for my satin Black bling'd up Rat-Rod mobility scooter. :laugh: I've always used car spray cans/paint for all my stuff, finished off by hand painting up the smaller details. :drag: but i've always wanted an airbrush :yes: Nice workshop Phil'...mine's not been used yet but just as cluttered up.

attachicon.gif2010-05-15 18.28.25.jpg

Cheers Pinzer. Off down to Kent with some campanology friends. Intending to visit the Sittingbourne and Kelmsey light railway. Enjoy your hols, and whatever you do, take lots of pictures!

• Like 1

Nice places in Kent, but don't forget to go and spot a few of those overgrown EMU'S with the go faster stripes before the Eurocrats brick up the tunnel :jester: i'll try to get some NG pics' and post 'em on here if enough are interested? enjoy your Hols' Matthew  :sungum:

• Like 2

Nice places in Kent, but don't forget to go and spot a few of those overgrown EMU'S with the go faster stripes before the Eurocrats brick up the tunnel :jester: i'll try to get some NG pics' and post 'em on here if enough are interested? enjoy your Hols' Matthew  :sungum:

Yes please Deltic.