The Dragon's Friendly Light Railway

• RMweb Gold

A little bit more progress was made late last night while waiting for the receiver to arrive. I soldered up 4 'AA' batteries to give a 4.8 volt battery pack - just fits in!

35749477020_0dd3591efa_c.jpg2017-07-24_11-05-22 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36100918046_99e17273b8_c.jpg2017-07-24_11-05-32 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

I also fitted a spare switch harness I tripped over in my electric bits box to the chassis which will turn it off/on and allow it to be charged.

35301310334_4f35045cfa_c.jpg2017-07-24_11-05-13 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35301307844_8a7ec61649_c.jpg2017-07-24_11-05-03 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

Now all I need is the receiver....

• Like 1

Neat little tank  steam loco amazing you have room to fit battery packs, would love to go battery power some modellers in the Uk have doen it with 00 scale, saving the issue in cleanning the evey time I want to run a train why I also going t rebuild my own track cleaning locos modifing two Bachmann DD40AX's.

Over here the summer gets pretty hot in the low 40's wont be running any trains will depend on how  low the temp is high 20's I will set up the layout and run a train.

One of my projrects I be working on a building a Garratt loco the Aussie one , be on the look out for two sets chassis the same being close the Garrat, the hobby is getting out of my reach to buy a RTR Garrat be in the $900 mark .

Looking forward to seeing the finished loco .

Tony from down under

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony. I'm not sure how much battery you could fit in a OO loco. Certainly a challenge!

Garden railways are built for summer here. Its winter you avoid, usually because its howling a gale and chucking it down.

Last night was a very pleasant evening, so I took the opportunity to run some trains. The saddle tank even made it although it can't go anywhere!

35996170432_3ccd47e7fd_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-54-18 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36164063495_d8687d52d4_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-54-29 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36164082805_644e76b14a_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-55-09 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

Most of the services were provided by battery power, though I did run Joan for a bit as well.

36031505381_09dcb11641_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-55-19 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35357849883_eea2c34c6c_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-55-29 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35773058100_38d2120849_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-55-40 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35773059720_999b298869_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-55-48 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36031516471_ba8743b2a9_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-55-57 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36031518791_cf84d269f6_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-56-06 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36031520941_74bfe305c9_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-56-15 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35773066040_1236181327_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-56-38 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36031534451_169763349c_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-56-47 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36031536361_8e9c430fd4_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-56-55 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36031540971_5189877fbf_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-57-07 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35357898503_8ae0fba5c8_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-57-16 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

35357900733_1617ef1281_c.jpg2017-07-25_09-57-23 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

• Like 5

Afternoon Mathew, have to agree, but I don't get those last lot of pics I didn't see last night only now and was on page 7, is that what the little  steam locos are called sadle tank engines, can see why a lot of modellers are switching to the larger scales for, plenty of room in the steamy boiler to fit batteries and a remote receiver .

I am going to look into battery power for the two DD40AX's I be modifying to  track cleaner locos, remote controls are cheap to buy now, plenty of room to hide the bateries that be pure awesome.

Keep the pics flowing  and good wor as well.

Tony from down under.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony. Yes thats a saddle tank. You get side tanks as well, and well tanks (which is where the tank is between the frames I think). Yes that is the beauty of this scale, but you can still struggle to get everything in.

Hi Mathew, no worries, the big question, can you modify a HO scale loco to battery power, or do you have to remotor it, the DD40AX Bachman loco has a pancake stle motor like the Lima and Hornby locos use.

The idea is to run the DD40AX track cleaing locos first call of duty before powering up the layout  I be using the track cleaing rollers as in the link both locos will have the rollers, will be awesome, all I should need is a two channel receiver ro would i need bigger, cheap enough to buy now. What sort of batteries should I need to buy .

http://www.aztectrains.com/HO_6.html   

Keep the pics flowing Tony from cold down under, last month of winter to go 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony.

I guess you shouldn't need to remotor your DD40AX. I'm guessing it runs of 12volt DC? You might need to drop the voltage down so it will be a bit slower, but should be okay.

I would go with NIMH batteries, means you can recharge. However, i'm conscious your not going to have much space in that body. I think that will be the limiting factor. Getting a decent battery pack inside a 16mm loco is tricky enough, HO will be a nightmare. Can you remove the body and see how much space you have to play with?

Late evening Mathew, I am going to do a lot of research on this project,  about room size in HO scale, I be utilising the second loco that wont be powered, if you go back to page 7 the post after your track cleaning car project I posted two pics on the the British Network track cleaning locos and the DD40AX, plenty of room to play with.

How is your  track cleaing car going is it finished and up and running, that sort video you posted of the track cleaning car finished product, some modellers in 00 scale have battery powered locos just managed to fit in the batter pack and radio gear, I must get back to his thread and ask him how he did it and let you know

Tony from down under.

• RMweb Gold

Late evening Mathew, I am going to do a lot of research on this project,  about room size in HO scale, I be utilising the second loco that wont be powered, if you go back to page 7 the post after your track cleaning car project I posted two pics on the the British Network track cleaning locos and the DD40AX, plenty of room to play with.

How is your  track cleaing car going is it finished and up and running, that sort video you posted of the track cleaning car finished product, some modellers in 00 scale have battery powered locos just managed to fit in the batter pack and radio gear, I must get back to his thread and ask him how he did it and let you know

Tony from down under.

Thanks Tony. I now know the type of loco your talking about. Would be curious to see how you mount some batteries in that.

Any progress on the track cleaner yet Matthew?  :locomotive:

Track cleaner works a treat, just pity it doesn't cure the weather. We've had dry spells (when I'm in work), but as soon as I have been home its been chucking it down. We've made up for the missing rainfall we didn't have in May. Ah well! I have to admit to be feeling a little drained of late, so not much really has happened. However, the receivers have now arrived so I can finish the saddle tank. Plus a new acquisition has arrived from ebay, I will start a topic on it in the appropriate section over the weekend. 

Will endeavor to keep you all updated!

• Like 1

I renewed my train club membership for another year, will need advise on how to tackle switching that loco to battey power  a adding a servo  as well, I also have the 0 gauge tank  steam loco  as well to switch to battery power .

Looking forward to seeing what the acquisition from eBay is, my Uncle gave me his train collection  a lot of locos to sort out, a couple I want to remotor and repaint to the Silver Streak movie train has two F7 class locos, train name is called the AMroad , where I got my user name from and the first two my initials Gene Welder who passed away this yeah and Richard Pryor, he passed away a few years back good movie, i could only get the DVD from the US.

In the last win10 up-date Ilost spell check any idea how to get  it back.

Tony from down under.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony.

I don't think you'll need a servo to control the loco, a electronic speed controller should be enough. You can get ESCs and receivers combined which really minimise the space required.

Can't help with Windows 10, but a quick google, is this any help? https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/25843-turn-off-spell-checking-windows-10-a.html

My new acquisition can be found in its own topic. Enjoy! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125152-the-regeneration-of-a-accucraft-baguley/

Mornng Mathew, many thanks for the link to the spel check on win 10 my wife will sort sort go and un spell chack on, funny thing is not affecting mails only forums I am in three and since that big up date no more.

Will have a look at the other link with interest, but there is a bloke over here that owns RCS for model trains especially battery powered and to make it even better he is a member of my train club a vsits the club every third Saturday I will for sure go on that Saturday, I thought you needed a servo, gettin better all the time there be plenty of room between the two locos and talking to a friend he said yo don't need to drop the  speed down of the loco even pan cake motors can't wait.being DC

https://www.rcs-rc.com/pages/trackside-r/c   

He has some cheaper controllers as well, not in a hurry, I rather work on the layout first most important, need to buy wo more points tomorrow so I can keep th emain lne straight, looking into having a go in scratchbuilding my own.save some money to buy more track.

Thanks Tony.

I don't think you'll need a servo to control the loco, a electronic speed controller should be enough. You can get ESCs and receivers combined which really minimise the space required.

Can't help with Windows 10, but a quick google, is this any help? https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/25843-turn-off-spell-checking-windows-10-a.html

My new acquisition can be found in its own topic. Enjoy! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125152-the-regeneration-of-a-accucraft-baguley/

There are two ways to fit rc to trains, one is to use an etc with forwards and reverse, the other is to use a esc that does forward only, and use a servo to operate a dpdt switch that controls the polarity.

HI a98087, Could you give me some more info on ect and esc put a search in and nothing come up, Mathew , nice loco you got from eBay, I have seen that type of shunter in HO scale.

My wife checked all the setting in win10 and spell check is ticked for on, can't find waht the link is talking about is it the forums setting.

Back on my layout finishing off  soldering the last of the feeder wires to the track tomorrow, make a start on the next module.

I am getting closer to going DCC getting some quotes on Tuesday, going NCE be middle of the range with a 5amp trannie, will be setting up W-Fi so my son can goin in running trains he can't hold a throttle this way he can use his mouse on my laptop .

We are in for a hot week grtting a tast of summer, Wednesday peaking 32 degrees 9 over night and the westerly winds haven't hit us yet, being a mild winter.

Have you had any trains running Mathew and get your gardening done, I be busy in Spring getting a load of top soil for the grass and a lod of bark for the garden and have to put a drain in the side garden to stop the rain water comingoff the neighbours yard washing out our back before the storm season hits.

Tony from down under

Hi I've fitted rc to a few locos and made a few battery cars, the easiest was is to use deltang equipment,

http://www.rctrains.co.uk

Another method is illustrated here, the main advantage of this method, is it's cheaper, modular and can Handle far higher currents 10amps vs 2 amps for deltang.

However this is only a issue if you run big American diesels from USA trains or twin motor lgb locos

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/2point4GHz.htm

Hope this helps

Dan

Many thanks yeah those cotrollers lok very close to the one the guy from RCS makes a lot easier to see a link.

I am not in a hurry,aiming to get the layout up and running being at it for over 3 years,big puch before the summer hits us going to be a long one going by this week,back into winter temps by next weekend, no wonder we are having a bad flue season.

Tony from down under.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies, I have been neglecting this forum. Life has been a bit up and down, with SWMBO in and out of hospital, and now the students are back work is busier than ever. 

Anyway, I have managed to make some videos of the railway. Here they are:

Towards the end of the summer, I managed to acquire (S/H) some cast walls, not sure who by. These were cemented in place to act as block between lawn and railway. Unfortunately, most of them have since broken out so I need to find something stronger.

36392098242_42ffac8210_c.jpg2017-08-14_09-29-50 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36514119186_eb38e0a5bc_c.jpg2017-08-14_09-30-06 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36514121526_787335d464_c.jpg2017-08-14_09-30-22 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36163655490_de7a03a7d5_c.jpg2017-08-14_09-30-36 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36163657160_03cb05be0b_c.jpg2017-08-14_09-30-52 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

36422275481_bc7fd10b00_c.jpg2017-08-14_09-31-30 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

37453364586_26c7846ee7_c.jpg2017-10-04_10-34-07 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

You might notice in the last shot that I have also started constructing the bridge to take the footpath over the railway. I managed to get hold of some wood (mostly old bellframe) to form the framework and decking, with four brick pillars to bring it up to height.

In other news the greenhouse (which was such an effective scenic break) went in late September. The storms smashed half the glass and it became beyond repair. So down it went. Looks rather bare now.

36832118863_35f045efbb_c.jpg2017-10-04_10-34-36 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

I've also been conducting some minor repairs and modifications to my W&L stock. The carriages have had their lamp brackets replaced, and lights fitted.

37501293001_4a05514196_c.jpg2017-10-04_10-37-28 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

37501297071_5a962105ba_c.jpg2017-10-04_10-37-42 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

37441393566_c6a9c0096c_c.jpg2017-10-04_09-09-46 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

The replacement lamp brackets were made from scratch using some brass rod for the poles, and some thin brass strip filed and bent to shape before being soldered onto the rod. Finally, cambrian rivets were added. Not as finely detailed as the original Accucraft ones but hopefully alot more robust.

• Like 2

Sorry you have had a difficult year Matthew. Going through similar with my wife at the moment.

But the layout is looking great. I particularly like the way you have used the (real) stone walling as a backdrop, which has given me an idea for a long stretch of mine! For the simulated low walling, I used a fair amount of this on the last layout in Peterborough, including some cheapo versions in plastic. I found the only way to keep them in place was to use an exterior version, ultra strength, silicon-based glue, such as No Nails. I used the Gorilla one and it worked a treat, You can disguise any glue which seeps out with a diluted wash of cement, although some types dry clear, which should be easier.

Best

Mike

Lovely stuff Idris! sorry to hear about the family probs' but it's really brill' to see all the progress and the great pics and vids' All in all a great inspiration and a kick up the behind i really need at the mo' ..thanks!  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matthew, sad to hear as well with your family in and out of hospital know the feeling, we all go through hard times,lost my Uncle to cancer in August and son in September, I did say in my post in September.

Love your video clips especially the second one with nearly the small disel coming up to the bridge and the tank loco already passed in under the bridge, pics are good as well, would lov the conctete viaducts on my layout.

Those coaches have turned out as well with the working lights, never ending those small jobs replacing lamp poles, I want to wire in LED lights on my F7 loco, haveto havethat yellow tinge, being told to buy the LEDS with yellow tinge is quite dear.

I am slowly getting back too my layout November we had a QLD state election voting day was the 25th of November, glad to see the end of the election was quite busy helping out and maning a polling booth atmy local school still four seats undesided.

It will be cooling down quite a bit now in the UK, summer here and we be having a wet summer so a lot cooler.

Tony from down under