Auchintoul & Inverness Citadel. A Great North of Scotland Railway medley.

ianathompson

• RMweb Premium

Inverness Citadel is due for an outing shortly which has prompted a minor frenzy of work. To be honest the layout spends most of its time folded up in a spare corner but that is what you would expect from an 'occasional' layout I suppose.

The track layout, which never made any claims to copy a known prototype at any time or place has been slightly modified to become more outlandish. A connection has been provided directly to the docks branch and the long, otherwise useless, siding is now a coal depot. The layout will be operated in the BR blue period because that is the only one that I currently have enough stock for.

47973547653_eeb177315c_c.jpgops decant 002 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

This is an overview of the layout. showing a train from Spean Bridge connecting with a class 105 which will leave for Elgin Boroughbrae. The train is formed of a class 37, GUV, BCK and a SK. These are all Mark I vehicles familiar to me from my youth. The parcels vans wait to meet the train and the new dock connection is visible in the foreground. A couple of 21t hoppers and a 16T mineral stand beside the shovel. Some-one will doubtless inform me that 37s did not run on the Mallaig/Fort William line in the late seventies but they do in my warped reality. It is probably overkill for the flat run along the Great Glen but there we go!

47973606966_f9e7730311_c.jpgops decant 007 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

A view of the platform ends shows the proposed layout. The station buildings will be timber, as will the goods shed. The platform will be covered by a canopy which will need to be removable.

47973607701_4c346b0f2e_c.jpgops decant 009 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The tannery stands on the left and is intended to hide as many microswitches as possible. The main stand of Citadel FC can be seen in the background. As far as I am aware Citadel never used the word Inverness in their name, as their near neighbours Clachnacuddin do not either to this day. (It would be rather like saying London Arsenal for example.) I am well aware (being a football grounds anorak) that the main stand was actually on the other side of the ground but once again Rule 1 applies. In a similar manner the background scenery will be slightly more mountainous than it should be. The station and ground would actually overlook the Merkinch, one of the low lying areas of the town.

47973557478_f4e510852c_c.jpgops decant 014 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The railway enters the layout beneath a girder bridge which will be modelled to represent a busy street. In reality this area was in the boondocks until very recent development. The vehicles are all Viking models bought years ago and disinterred from boxes full of German stock which has not turned a wheel in forty years. Auchintoul's signal cabin poses in the background. This needs completing and a twin needs to be made for this location. The various huts hide point micros.

47973608256_801b1ea675_c.jpgops decant 011 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The final picture shows the goods yard. The background buildings are a flour mill and a slaughterhouse, the football ground being noted for its malodorous location and icy north winds before its closure. The vehicles are strategically placed over the access screws which hold the dock's surface in place. Once again it hides point polarity switches and it has been off once already to 'ungum' a point in the far sidings. The artic was repainted many moons ago to look more realistic and the other vehicles will eventually follow suit. Unfortunately it caught the attention of my dad's Golden Retriever who decided that it would be very nice to eat. The bite marks remain to this day. Stupid hound!

Assuming that all performs okay the next main job will be to install some signalling and complete more pre-Grouping stock. As at Auchintoul it is intended that the layout can be set in different eras.

Ian T

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Inverness Citadel's last outing on the road threw up a few minor problems that need attention but on the whole I was quite happy with its overall performance.

The 'snagging' process involves running lots of trains and trying to solve problems rather than ignore them!

N gauge bogie diesels are much more tolerant of minor deviations in track alignments (vertical and lateral) than their rigid wheelbase steam counterparts.

Instead of using BR standard steam locos I decided to run the embryonic pre-Grouping stock for a change.

The photos show some of the early testing.

48054938816_7d3f959074_z.jpgIC15 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

1. The only completed GNoSR loco is O class No 10, seen here shunting the yard. The GNoSR utility option was, strangely, the 4-4-0 wheel arrangement which formed by far the majority of the loco stock. This model is obviously a converted Union MiIlls product wherein lie some problems. The boiler and cab should be much lower. The discrepancy is obvious when viewed against the GNoSR carriage stock in the background which has been built to a scale height. On the other side of the coin the Farish horsebox in the background exhibits the same problem.

48054939201_15258cb82c_z.jpgIC16 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

2. There is a train of GNoSR carriages built to this profile. Fine, they are not exactly exquisite examples of the model makers art but they did take some time to construct. They do not claim to be scale models either as they have been cut and shut to fit the Roco six wheel chassis. The mixture of liveries is, as I understand it, prototypical, in that the older (brown) stock was not repainted after Pickersgill introduced his version. I believe that some reporters stated that certain four wheelers were almost white by this time!

48055035557_f778294094_z.jpgIC17 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

3. Unfortunately the distinctive GNoSR vans, one of which is at the left, were built in the signalboxes that I used to sign for, using Farish vans as a template. They are therefore somewhat larger than their real life counterparts. The van next door is a NBR six wheeler which is probably on the emaciated side and will need attention to its roof before final completion.

48055035877_79d1f6e505_z.jpgIC18 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

4. The remaining donor stock retains its BR livery at the moment. The pre-Grouping opens are simple repaints, although I suspect that the one on the right has been repainted into BR livery and has escaped into the wrong stock box! The class O is about to shunt the quayside, the passenger train loco has come to the platform end as was standard practice, so that the signalman could see it, and the class E (as will be) has pushed the stock into the departure platform.

I suppose that it has become a case of pre-Grouping modelling for the ham-fisted!

Ian T

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I totally reject your inVasion of Inbhir Nis by the GNoSR, Highland would never have let that happened.. :D It's as likely as having a model railway called Tiree, based on Highland Railway Kyle line.. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38780.0

Interesting seeing the mis/treatment of Inverness this way, you could of called it Inverness Clachnacuddin and enjoyed the mispronouciations of the name. Either are not too far my old school (The High).

I'll be following your Progress..for more interesting Developments.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Grant Street Park is across the river and the "Sheep Baggies" have achieved almost mythical status!

Did not realise until recently that Clach are named for the Washing Stone by the River.

Wait until you see the plans for the NBR extension from Spean Bridge.

I will publish these if/ when I persuade the under construction NB 4-4-2T  to behave itself.

Mind you i could always model the proposed amalgamated GNoSR and Highland which almost came about.

I've always liked the Highland's 0-6-4Ts.

There are too many signalmen in Norfolk are modelling the Highland already (you know who you are!)

One thing that I have never understood about the Highland, especially since it served the Gaeltacht areas, is why all its literature was written in English.

I stand to be corrected if wrong. Otherwise, any ideas any-one?

Ian T

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Inverness Citadel has seen a faie amount of activity recently whilst Auchintoul languishes.

I am due for another visit to the Cotswolds shortly so an effort has been made to fill in all the blank spaces on the layout.

48631142572_e33a098f3c_k.jpgops decant 038 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

We begin by arriving behind a 4MT  tank in platform 2. Immediately we notice that the station has acquired a canopy, as promised, although it appears to be rather generic, if not downright GWR  swearword!

As a concession to its supposedly GNSR origins it will eventually be painted in brown and cream, probably emphasising its origins.

48630993641_2df80cec24_k.jpgops decant 026 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The GNSR platform buildings are all built of wood, as befits an interloper into a Highland stronghold. The Great North used wood extensively but not, to the best of my knowledge at its terminals. Alright having written that Old Meldrum springs straight to mind! Okay, here goes. The Great North did not usually use wood at its terminals and had no wooden terminus buildings at right angles to the track (to the best of my knowledge). The Ratio canopies have taken a bashing. Hopefully this can be disguised with filler and paint! Given the foregoing observations the buildings are freelanced but hopefully credible.

48630992591_bf2e4f083a_k.jpgops decant 015 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

Beside the station buildings, alongside the right angle bend in the sky, lies the harbour. The weird track layout allows this to be shunted from the goods arrival loop. It looks like Seafield, the GNSR marshalling yard and loco depot, has purloined an LMS tank to shunt the fish sheds.

48630634818_ea4f2b1433_k.jpgops decant 014 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The "fish shed" also masquerades as the oil terminal, wood yard and cement terminal, depending upon the wagons to hand. It is a simple fiddle stick and, obviously, an afterthought. A harbour scene, including an indeterminate ship, will be painted onto the background and the German lorries will be Anglicised.

The microswitches in front of the platform have now been hidden. This will become a coalyard in BR days but most coal arrived by sea in the earlier parts of the twentieth century so it will be an ambiguous waste ground in other periods. The point operating switches have been painted black in an effort to disguise them. I will reserve judgement as to how long they will last so before a repaint is needed.

48630637268_9da88b8589_k.jpgops decant 030 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

One of the hinges is hidden beneath the grandstand of Citadel FC. This has been designed to be credible throughout the entire operating range of the layout. It is a typical old fashioned Highland League design in that the home and away teams run out from opposite sides of the stand as they did at Caledonian and Inverness Thistle in days gone by. A series of signs, indicating the next opponent will eventually be produced. That for the pre-WWI period will feature the 93rd Highlanders, better known as "The Thin Red Line". Forces teams often entered sides into the league until the fifties.

48631314777_9dd8bff835_k.jpgops decant 023 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The other hinge is hidden by the tanning factory. The clearances are tighter than is normal on a model but they were fairly common in reality. The BR sign, in alleged Scottish Region light blue, is also removable so that it can be replaced by one appropriate for the era.

48631141997_2498e7302f_k.jpgops decant 032 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

Just along from the tannery we find the bridge for Harbour Road which crosses the sidings in the goods yard. This has been based on GNSR prototypes and I have used paving stones in an effort to replicate the large granite blocks used in the area. They also form the base of the grandstand. Once again clearances are much tighter than normal on many models bu they seem to reflect prototype practices.

48630637948_aa83690cd6_k.jpgops decant 034 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The trains enter in front of the box and behind the two huts. The two huts are removable to give access to the bolts aligning the sector plate. It would be better if they were not there but they are hiding microswitches. A new isignalbox is still needed, although point rodding and boxed in cranks have been included.

That ends this brief update. Hopefully the layout will survive a week or two away without any major problems.

The basic foundations are now there to allow development to continue.

The next job here will be the signals but that will be left for some time in the future.

Auchintoul is earmarked for some remedial attention and there is the gardem railway to extend.

The AFK also needs some high capacity coal wagons.

Ian T

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2019 at 16:55, ianathompson said:

Grant Street Park is across the river and the "Sheep Baggies" have achieved almost mythical status!

Did not realise until recently that Clach are named for the Washing Stone by the River.

Wait until you see the plans for the NBR extension from Spean Bridge.

I will publish these if/ when I persuade the under construction NB 4-4-2T  to behave itself.

Mind you i could always model the proposed amalgamated GNoSR and Highland which almost came about.

I've always liked the Highland's 0-6-4Ts.

There are too many signalmen in Norfolk are modelling the Highland already (you know who you are!)

One thing that I have never understood about the Highland, especially since it served the Gaeltacht areas, is why all its literature was written in English.

I stand to be corrected if wrong. Otherwise, any ideas any-one?

Ian T

The Highland railway was funded and controlled from Inverness,  by this time ALL big business was conducted in English. The Scottish education act of 1496 required all Nobles children to be educated in English in the central lowlands.  The Highland was funded to a great extent by the Highland aristocracy particularly the Duke of Sutherland.. At the start of the this period schools were controlled mostly bythe local church of scotland who insisted also in the use of English.. 

• RMweb Premium

Q

Thanks for your enlightenment.

Having recently read The Highland Railway by David Ross I had tentatively drawn that conclusion.

It seems a shame that such an attitude could prevail, although I accept that times were different then.

It is nice to see that the modern railway uses Gaelic, at least on the station nameboards, although I understand that this has raised controversy in the Doric speaking areas.

Not everyone, apparently, likes to find that they have arrived at Inbhir Uige.

Most prefer Wick, which I presume derives from the Viking name.

The Press & journal, if I remember correctly, reported that some locals were taking pot shots at Gaelic signs in protest.

As Google translate does not run to Gaelic it might be some time before trains arrive at An Caisteal Inbhir Nis.

My first thought Broch Inbhir Nis presumably heretically combines both tongues?!

Regarding the last posting. I was in a hurry to get to a football match so you will have to excuse the typos.

I also notice that I missed out one photo which I had captioned.

The photos came out much too large thereby unwittingly revealing just how much of a bodger I actually am.

Never mind. At least I will have something other than cats, cathedral evensongs and football to occupy my time in the Cotswolds.

Ian T

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Spread of Gàidhlig sign posting, to areas of Scotland, which have never spoken Gaelic is quite controversial. Wick before the Vikings would have probably been, Pictish, which thought to have been nearer Welsh, But modern Welsh has many Latin influences thanks to the Romans.. Old Welsh being probably nearer to Old Gàidhlig than it is to Modern Welsh..

Confused ? so am I ..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a couple of photos, hopefully at the normal size, to show a little progress.

The backscene was daubed onto the artist's board using acrylics. 

The whole process took about an hour. 

It certainly won't win any awards from the Royal Academy but it gives the context.

48684748617_9c2f3a4ec5_z.jpg6 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The Aberdeen service pulls into Citadel having run via the coast line. The Moray Firth is in the background.

48684748217_2ff29bd82e_z.jpg5 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

Another view of the same train looking towards the town which has been deliberately omitted from the scene.

The Black Isle is visible across the Firth.

48684747472_ef9ce87fc7_z.jpg4 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The Stanier tank shunts the harbour. Given that this piece of the layout is about two inches wide it is useful to draw the eye in.

I have deliberately gone for an overcast dull day in an effort to relegate the backscene to its supporting role rather than have it call attention to itself

by being too bright or too detailed. The landscape is a series of muted colours in vague shapes.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
errors

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has been a few months and progress on Inverness Citadel has been slow.

That at Auchintoul has ground to a halt and actually regressed when the goods shed fell apart!

Never mind, other model railway interests have taken precedence.

49385270431_c85a9c9d31_z.jpgIC19 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

In a similar view to that above we can now see that this mini-scene of the harbour alongside the Ness has been completed. 

The 4MT  is weathered and is in steam. It has run onto the now inlaid track to pick up some weathered fish vans.

The nondescript industrial building (Moray Mercantile) is complete and, although it is not apparent, the Wiking lorries in the background have had a lick of paint.

This narrow scene is on the "fiddle stick" which also moonlights as the reception area for cement wagons, wood traffic and oil tankers.

It would have been nice to include more detail, such as figures, but this area is a separate attachment to the main layout and needs to be as bomb proof as possible.

It already has three basic parts without counting the stock and road vehicles.

The next operating session will be in the sixties with maroon stock and green diesels as well as BR standard steam.

The sketched in background is prominent in the photo but is not so obtrusive in reality.

It looks across roughly towards North Kessock.

I am never sure whether this is the Beauly or the Moray Firth as there seems to be no clear boundary.

Perhaps some-one can enlighten me.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
more info

• RMweb Premium

The Kessock bridge is reckoned to be in Loch Beauly ( Beauly Firth) ..so that's a clue..  

Interestingly I typed in Kessock ferry to check my facts,  and it's not recognised by Google Maps,  even though that's what we all called it.. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little further progress has been encouraged by the likely prospect that the layout will be needed next month.

A start has been made on the signalling although this is a time consuming option given my ineptitude for subtle modelling.

49464280396_8c281974fe_k.jpgIC20 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

This is the gallows signal on platfrom 1 which protects the points leading into the goods shed sited alongside the platfrom.

The trap point that protects this siding is visible behind the signal and will be protected by a Stevens dropflap shunting signal.

There is one working example at Auchintoul so I know that it can be done!

The signal is hardly a thing of beauty as completed but it does hide under the station canopy, which is off its moorings as the baseplate for the signal currently covers the locating hole. 

It was difficult to persuade the camera to focus upon the signal as it seemed much more interested in the football grandstand!

As can be seen the arm stands well above the horizontal but this was fairly typical for lower quadrant signals.

The signal has received a good dosing of "muck" to tone it down.

I am well aware that the GNoSR, like many Scottish companies, used lattice masts for most of its signals.

Given that this model is less than one inch high and located on a portable layout there did not seem to be much prospect of such a model surviving!

The mast, which is made from one piece of barss to aid robustness, represents a wooden mast.

49464280716_a77bb99398_k.jpgIC21 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The signal has been pulled off, authorising a train to approach the starting signals at the platfrom end.

Although the underboard mechanism is yet to be connected, having reached this stage, I do not anticipate too many more problems in finishing this example.

I have found plenty enough along the way!

A number of compromises have obviously been made to make the model work, which could be avoided if one wished to present a more realistic appearance with a static model.

Most modellers seem to be oblivious to signals anyway but, as an ex-signalman, I want mine to work as they should do and will accept the compromises in appearance.

The arms and spectacle plates come from an MSE etch but they are very small and delicate.

This example went through two arms and four spectacle plates before reaching this stage.

From my experience of building MSE kits in other scales I suspect that these are "shot down" photo etches.

The techniques that work well in other scales are not quite so easy to apply to the models in this scale.

In fact separating some of the more delicate pieces from the etching is beyond my capabilities!

At the current rate of progress the signalling should be completed around 2035 and require about twenty etches for the dozen or so arms needed!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
additional info

• RMweb Premium

After last week's constructional debacle and out of focus photos I retreated to consider my future options.

MSE etches are excellent examples of the art, although as I noted, I suspect that the 2mm scale frets have been "shot down" from a larger scale.

I have used their products before to create the lattice masts for many of the AFK's signals.

The AFK sports a very unlikely combination of continental signals which can be seen here if you are interested.

They are a weird and wonderful bunch, and all have been scratchbuilt.

Having reached a cross roads with my N gauge efforts I have decided that future additions will be totally scratchbuilt as I cannot cope with the intricacies of the etches.

My ham fisted builds will bear more resemblance to the Hornby Dublo, Tri-ang and even Timpo (remember them?) signals of my childhood. 

Here are the results of approximately four days modelling time, to be found at the end of the platform.

49491667873_633967945e_k.jpg7 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The 4MT tank removes a CCT from a train that has arrived in platform 2. 

The shunt arm is off. there is some minor contraversy as to what the GNoSR called these signals but I believe that they meant "shunt to right road".

Any way, although there were four of these on the etches that I had only two survived my constuctional techniques and one of them later fell of the post and had to have emergency resucitation.

The "dodds" on the approach signals will be conventional arms.

Incidentally does anyone know what word Scottish railwaymen used for shunt signals?

I have asked before but never got a reply.

49492170046_25f3cf321f_k.jpg8 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

A little later in the proceedings the train departs.

The arms on the other road both come "off" as well.

The signal will eventually receive a platform and some ladders, always providing that they survive their peripatetic life.

The box, in the background, should now contain 30 levers, so whenever the actual box for this location is built it will probably include another window along the front, as well as having the door on the other end.

As restricted acceptance is authorised to and from Longman the signaller will also need to poke his green flag out of the window.

You will have to forgive any typos that appear in this postas, once again the internal editor repeatedly deletes large swathes of text rather than allowing alterations.

Why is it that I only get this problem on this site but never on others?

Ian T

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Inverness Citadel has just been "on tour" in the Cotswolds for two weeks fulfilling the role that it was built for.

49584042881_7645b15dd3_k.jpg9 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

Board 1 now contains a full complement of working lower quadrant signals and it can be seen that, at just before 07.00, the Aberdeen via Buckie train is signalled away from platform 2. The signals all work including the Stevens dropflap shunting signal in the goods shed bay.

The class 29 that brought the train down as ecs will go to the docks to shunt the oil depot.

On platform 1 the morning train for Spean Bridge on the West Highland waits to depart behind a standard 5MT.

A 4MT tank shunts the yard.

The layout has seen a burst of activity with the installation of signals, but, as is the nature of third/fourth string layouts it is not likely to see much more development any time soon.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
additional info

• ianathompson changed the title to Auchintoul & Inverness Citadel. A Great North of Scotland Railway medley.
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many moons have passed since this thread last saw the light of day.

It is now time to re-awakwen it as the layout will once more travel to the Cotswolds in the near future.

IRj0QL1.jpg?1

It spends much of its time in its unusual role as a table beside the front door.

This photo was posted some time ago, in the Minories thread, relating to unwieldy bendy planks which are supposedly easily transported.

Once re-opened I was gratified to find that all the signals worked, despite the attentions of the local spider populace.

Some track needed minor attention, however, as it had come out of alignment across the baseboard joint.

h0xqeN8.jpg?1

Whilst little progress has been made upon the stock side (too many other layouts on the go!) the buidlings and infrastructure are slowly progressing.

The grandstand for Citadel's ground, looking out over the Firth has been finished.

I have realised that the GNoSR "arrived" in Inverness before Citadel moved to play at Shore Street so the fact that the main stand is on the "wrong" side of the ground can be reconciled in my alternative reality.

The stand base is supposedly built from local stone so I await criticism on its colouring from the local inhabitants.

If there is none then the rest of the stone will be similarly coloured!

Come on. Speak up or hold your peace.

The 08 (yes I know that none ever ran in Scotland in black) is testing the platform edges for clearance. 

The outside cranks are set rather too wide to be realistic and it was discovered some time ago that it would not run into platform 2, the bottom right hand iin the photo, when it received stone cladding.

This was rather annoying as the test locos, with outside valve gear all managed well enough.

This has now been attended to.

The loco has taken issue with the loading bay but matters have been amicably resolved.

It is standing with a van waiting for the Stevens drop flap signal to clear.

This will not occur just yet as some-one has left the platform starter off, just visible at the right.

The gallows signal for the west end of platform 1 is normally located underneath the canopy but is clearly visible here.

As might be expected of a former signalman, all the signals, including the shunt signal beside the bay and those beneath the platform starters, work.

I don't doubt that more development will take place, and be reported upon, before the layout resumes its slumbers.

Ian T

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn’t class myself as a local, but thinking of places like the castle and the station, and doing an image enquiry on them, I would say sandstone would be the right call. Not the very red sort, more of a pale red with grey overtones.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

94.jpg.05a97bd2bedda7228435f9984166a7ca.jpg

Nice view of a microwave where the Moray firth should be but at least the bridge is fitting for an GNoSR layout!

The loco is on a trip from the Highland side of town.

(It probably needs renumbering and might eventually get it.)

Following a long hiatus I have included a short update on the layout.

Not much has happened since the last post and what has happened has been retrogressive for the railway.

The layout is a second string affair designed to be portable and to be taken to the Cotswolds when I visit my mother.

On its last outing various problems arose with the Peco points which needed rectifying and one of the signal operating rods "came off".

These items were left for some time before I began repair work.

The signal rod had come off because the layout had shifted in the car and smashed the signal head, on closer inspection.

The whole unit (the platform starters) had to be removed for repairs to take place.

It is still off the layout.

Two more Peco points failed with electrical continuity problems and the main entrance point took to derailing trains entering platform 2.

This is an asymmetric three way point at the station throat.

At one point I seriously considered abandonning the whole layout and beginning again with hand made points.

A repair/rebuild was eventually successful, preventing this ignominious end.

I do wonder how many more problems will arise with this pointwork.

A fair number were defective as supplied.

The track was "ballasted" in the meantime. 

The GNoSR used shingle, from what I can tell, and covered the whole of the sleepers.

This causes problems when later stock is operated as practices changed.

As the idea is to evebtually have sufficient pre-Grouping stock to operate a session this was the state into which the layout was finished.

Shingle is not going to be really portrayed by the traditional limestone ballast often used, usually complete with 6 inch pieces of stone in N scale.

The whole area has been liberally coated with plaster, although attempts to add texture have failed dismally so far.

Still, at normal viewing distances, one has to wonder quite what would have been seen.

The dropped rail joints and filthy ballast in the yard are not everyone's idea of the pre-Grouping image but they certainly fit the BR scene.

As I commented on another thread recently, I am rather suspicious of the typical pre-Group layout where everything is freshly painted and maintained in tip top condition.

The whole thing was powered by coal and pigments were more likely to have faded than they would today.

The Directors were also inclined to parsimony, preferring to take fat dividends.

Anyway that's enough for now.

With a bit of luck the infrastructure might soon be completed allowing attention to turn to stock weathering, for the BR stuff, and some stock building for the pre WWI stuff.

Don't hold your breath.

Ian T

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This layout is not quite dead just yet.

It had a recent outing to the Cotswolds when I went to look after my mother for a few weeks.

As originally noted this was the whole purpose of the layout, although things have snow balled a little.

cp2.jpeg.fbf650155e3fa4ef7ba1501bc35017dc.jpeg

I took a lot of photos but the phone refuses to play with the computer so they are effectively lost for the moment.

BR 1970s blue and white stock was used this time around.

This is how I remember the Far North line when I was initially exploring the Highland League grounds.

Citadel went bust in 1935 but the ground is included on the model.

The grandstand is just beyond the bridge.

The cat takes a keen interest in proceedings.

More development is planned for the near future.

Ian T

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having persuaded the camera and computer to communicate (at last!) here are a few more railway themed photos.

ic25.jpg.304456eab6d9f42d20ddea95170f15ac.jpg

The Cravens dmu (class 105) runs in from Elgin.

You will have to excuse the depth of field problems because it was taken from a mobile telephone.

And yes, before anyone asks, that is a bus on the bridge!

The signals show up well.

They are certainly no marvels of miniature engineering, bearing more resemblence to Hornby or Timpo OO gauge products.

On the other hand they all work, and are used, as would be expected of an ex signalman.

The platform starter got smashed the last time that the layout was taken out.

It has been rebuilt but the end of the platform needs restoring.

The opportunity was taken to improve the under baseboard connections at the same time.

In addition new protective layout covers have been made to avoid a repeat.

This was the signal that finally forced me to accept wearing glasses.

I got to 65 without needing them but inevitably had to succumb when trying to arrange the four operating mechanisms.

ic26.jpg.10acdff10812bb9b9bc893d59502b06c.jpg

Here is another view of the starters and the football stand.

The ballast, which needs more attention, is supposed to represent the shingle used by the GNoSR.

As with everything this is a compromise as, by the time a BR blue class 25 was running, it would have been replaced.

For that matter the signals would have gone as well and so would the station, had it ever been built!

ic27.jpg.5ff9381ddee236171a5bded2272d9fec.jpg

A class 17 pulls in on a trip working from Longman Yard.

This is the sort of duty that they were intended for.

I did debate as to weather it to show a burnt version as they were prone to catching fire.

It only trundles the mile between the station and the yard so a close eye can be kept upon it.

Most of the prototypes seemed to be banished to obscure workings, often in the remoter parts of Scotland, so it fits in and can be justified at a stretch.

It also avoids the use of an 08 shunter which I find unreliaible runners in N.

The wind whips in off the Firth, in the background, as the Aberdeen train (via the Coast) and the Spean Bridge train, on the far platform, wait for departure time.

The real football ground was notorious for its cold winds and its maloderous position in the industrial quarter of the town.

There remains a lot of work to be done in bringing the layout up to scratch.

Ian T

• Like 5

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well,  it has been another long time since the last report.

This is a minor layout however so it doesn't tkake priority, rather like 3rd XI cricket.

Last time out the load slipped on the way home and damaged some of the signals so these have received attention.

14.jpg.04c8b1628d92fb361314ae75ca0fccf9.jpg

Both the posts in the foreground had to be removed from the layout and reworked.

The bracket signal's arm for No 2 platform had come off.

This was the push that I finally needed to buy some reading glasses at the age of 65.

It took three aborted attempts to re-affix it before, wearing glasses, I spotted that the spindle was smashed.

This was repaired some time ago.

The out of focus stacked arm on the right was left until the layout was due out again.

The post had to be shortened as it had been smashed beyond repair.

12.jpg.566d1823880614963a47508d24257922.jpg

The six arm home signal protects the station approaches.

This is a cruel enlargement (putting it mildly!) of an extremely crude signal.

It was banged together and given a slosh of paint in the sure knowledge that it would need revisiting.

Time was short and I wanted the signalling to be complete.

The fiddleyard latches, at the bottom, have also been reworked.

In many respects its all a bit pointless in that the signal faces the backscene and the goods yard arm (at the left) would be hidden by the granary.

Don't know what the Sighting Committee would have to say about that!

13.jpg.de3e059a719038a3fde4c1e9d6ac2b22.jpg

The second Stephen's drop flap shunt signal was installed. at the same time.

This was a pain in the proverbial as the operating wire had to come out through the electrical switches.

Another well planned excursion!

Yes it works, as do all the arms.

A revisit with the red paint, filling the hole in the top of the post and making good the devastation of the ground is next on the agenda.

Note the double catch points for over runs.

I am well aware that these abominations bear more than a passing resemblence to the Timpo signals of my youth.

They certainly won't win any prizes in a fine modelling competition.

Given that I ended my days, having left teaching, as a signalman it is essential to me that the signals do work.

More attention is obviously needed but is likely to be delayed by other demands on my time.

It is the cricket and croquet season after all!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2023 at 11:50, ianathompson said:

Don't know what the Sighting Committee would have to say about that!

Tell them it's your railway and rule 1 applies. If they don't like it, they can fix it for you, but you're not paying them anything.

• Funny 1