Heljan announces the development of a Class 50

MGR Hooper!

Class 50 O gauge update

CAD is now well advanced and we thank the 'Fifty Fund' for their help and support during the development of this model.

The model will represent the class in their refurbished form and proposed liveries will see models available in rail blue, large logo, original and revised NSE and the possibility of 50007 in GWR150 guise and 50149 in Railfreight.

post-27484-0-83294300-1516886480_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I want to see both the LLC version and Heljan before I decide. LLC promise a state of the art model and going by the Class 15 I don’t doubt it. Heljan on the other hand will be similar to all their previous ie double motors etc and dare I say it the possibility of howlers in the final shape. Both indicate a similar price tag I think at approx £600.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all,

We've just announced two exclusive versions of the forthcoming O Gauge Class 50 from Heljan.

The versions announced are:

Class 50 50008 "Thunderer" in BR Laira blue - Exclusive to Hatton's

Class 50 50015 "Valiant" in BR civil engineers 'Dutch' grey and yellow - Exclusive to Hatton's

Read the full announcement in the dedicated thread which can be found HERE.

Heljan have also released the RRP of the Class 50s which means that prices are now confirmed.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Our model will be the same price, give or take, and provide a LOT more for your money. DCC as standard, capacitor bank as standard, helical reduction gearbox and metal bogie gearing, solid steel wheels, virtually friction-free pick-ups. It's so efficient it can roll down a slope under its own weight – double-heading has never been easier. Sound and smoke optional, but full support built in and are only £100 extra each. Designed, produced and assembled in the UK and supports UK charities.

They don't come close to any of this. But it's your money.

We asked several retailers, including this one, if they wanted to support our project with limited or special editions. All but one declined. I guess we can't offer the same level of margin that they do, but that's because we give a lot of our profit away to ensure our unique history is still accessible for our children's children. Denmark couldn't care less.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

We asked several retailers, including this one, if they wanted to support our project with limited or special editions. All but one declined. I guess we can't offer the same level of margin that they do, but that's because we give a lot of our profit away to ensure our unique history is still accessible for our children's children. Denmark couldn't care less.

Is there really any need for this bit? Heljan are a commercial entity and have never claimed to be anything else. The fact that they're Danish is entirely irrelevant and I'm guessing nobody on this board is in a position to offer an informed opinion of what their owners care and don't care less about other than their bottom line (and I imagine you also care about what you get out of it). My advice is to keep comment to the models and avoid stuff like this which just comes over as poor form IMO.

• Agree 1

Is there really any need for this bit? Heljan are a commercial entity and have never claimed to be anything else. The fact that they're Danish is entirely irrelevant and I'm guessing nobody on this board is in a position to offer an informed opinion of what their owners care and don't care less about other than their bottom line (and I imagine you also care about what you get out of it). My advice is to keep comment to the models and avoid stuff like this which just comes over as poor form IMO.

Yes my thoughts entirely, it is my money I’ll choose which manufacturer I want to use so I would rather manufacturers get on with their job and make the models and keep their own personal thoughts to themselves, I’m really not interested.

Looks promising and a fine start but far too early to draw any conclusions obviously.

Is the curve under the windscreens http://www.philt.org.uk/BR/BR-Class-50/i-Psfqr2z/A to flat or spot on??

Do the screens have enough 'rake back' on them-

50032-50017-50044..BATH RD.10.06.1978-XL.jpg

Agree it is hard to tell from the CAD but I was immediately struck by the bottom of the windscreen looking too flat...

• RMweb Premium

I agree entirely. This just leaves a bad taste.

• Like 1

A few issues have been found and will be sorted.

In the past Heljan have had errors pointed out at earlier stages and nothing has been done. And the fact that the issues with their Class 50's face was pointed out during it's CAD stage and the error has still made it to the first EP, that really doesn't help.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Heljan's Facebook page has several photos of the pre-production hand assembled Class 50

https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/posts/1921783951217795

No release date yet but suggested retail is £699.00

The face looks wrong. The rest looks okay to me. Disappointing as the issue with the Class 50s nose/face/lower windscreen was pointed out when they released CAD images.

I am no expert on tooling models but once you are this far down the line can you correct issues in the main tooling? Or is it start again from scratch.

I guess smaller separate parts are not too much of an issue.

Paul

It depends upon the area that needs to be corrected. Tooling for one body consists of multiple parts so therefore the incorrect part will need to be corrected. A body shell can be made from 3-5 parts depending on the shape of the body. Issues can be corrected even at this stage, it depends upon the company. It also costs money to correct and have parts re-tooled. I have no grudge against Heljan, but they do have a record of not listening to customers when errors are pointed out. Those errors end up in production models.

The last time I politely pointed out certain errors in their models I didn't get a very positive reply back.

A selection of photos of the new Heljan O gauge Class 50. As usual at this stage, it’s an early prototype and subject to change. We have already identified a few areas for improvement.

Release dates will be announced later, but SRP will be £699.00 and six versions will be produced for general sale through Heljan stockists, plus two limited edition exclusives for Hatton’s Model Railways (Departmental blue 50008 and Dutch 50015). Thanks to The Fifty Fund, who have been a huge help during the research and development stage. Look out for sample(s) of the Heljan Class 50 at the Severn Valley Railway’s Class 50 Golden Jubilee Gala on October 4-6, where we hope to have more developed samples on display. See http://www.svr.co.uk/SEItem.aspx?a=124  for more information on this unmissable event. 

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (5).jpg

4020 O-50

Un-numbered

Rail blue

4021 O-50

Un-numbered

Large logo

4022 O-50

Un-numbered

Original NSE

4023 O-50

Un-numbered

Revised NSE

4024 O-50

GW150 50007 Sir Edward Elgar

4025 O-50

Railfreight 50149

• Like 2

They don't come close to any of this. But it's your money.

Reads like a very thinly veiled tantrum that the rival announced their model after the LLC one, but showed a pre-production model before LLC did

• Like 1

Just compared the cab to a JLTRT casting and it is very close. The windows are a real focal point of detail for me with the metal rims etc. But overall a good first shot and i agree could be a fine model. Lets see what LLC can come up with, may the best loco win!

Reads like a very thinly veiled tantrum that the rival announced their model after the LLC one, but showed a pre-production model before LLC did

You're not far off. I went to a funeral that day and was more than a little peeved on several levels.

But, back on topic, the model looks almost there. Good effort.

Had a closer look at the bogies, poor effort here. The lower beam spanning the axles looks nothing like that. Can no one do a decent rendition of English Electric cast bogies. Before I leave this world I hope for two things apart from world peace etc. a decent accurate 7mm Deltic and a decent cast EE bogie, is it too much to ask!!!

It depends upon the area that needs to be corrected. Tooling for one body consists of multiple parts so therefore the incorrect part will need to be corrected. A body shell can be made from 3-5 parts depending on the shape of the body. Issues can be corrected even at this stage, it depends upon the company. It also costs money to correct and have parts re-tooled. I have no grudge against Heljan, but they do have a record of not listening to customers when errors are pointed out. Those errors end up in production models.

The last time I politely pointed out certain errors in their models I didn't get a very positive reply back.

Heljan have a habit of not listening to advice. Look at the 00 Gauge and N Gauge Class 58's which the Class 58 Locomotive Group were advisors.

They offered advice and pointed out known errors but went ahead anyway, then the Class 58 Group wanted nothing to do with the models.

I hope the Class 50 Fund have more luck with their models than the Class 58 Locomotive Group.

As with Heljan, most models that they have produced have a history of fragile parts and also errors. Still at least they have kept the kit manufacturers in business :)

I was definitely interested in a couple of Class 50’s but I think I will wait and see the LLC product before making any decision. There is major issues at present. I hope they can use the good advice to get it right.