Heljan announces the development of a Class 50

MGR Hooper!

Heljan have a habit of not listening to advice. Look at the 00 Gauge and N Gauge Class 58's which the Class 58 Locomotive Group were advisors.

They offered advice and pointed out known errors but went ahead anyway, then the Class 58 Group wanted nothing to do with the models.

I hope the Class 50 Fund have more luck with their models than the Class 58 Locomotive Group.

As with Heljan, most models that they have produced have a history of fragile parts and also errors. Still at least they have kept the kit manufacturers in business :)

Absolutely correct, but Heljan didn't do an N gauge Class 58.

• RMweb Premium

The face looks wrong. The rest looks okay to me. Disappointing as the issue with the Class 50s nose/face/lower windscreen was pointed out when they released CAD images.

It is wrong!

Seeing as I own abit of a real one and can pop outside and a 10 yard walk for a butchers, it is plain wrong!

It has the same shape error as the Hornby version and the JLTRT version has.

The rest of it looks good, but the cab front, no.

There is quite a pronounced curve to the top of the nose, the 2 handrails below the screens are almost level with each other on the model showing that the nose top is to flat. This also makes the windscreens look to perpendicular to each other aka, almost level with one another.

The cab front is curved from side to side and also below the windscreens on a 50. None of it is flat!

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 1

Received this email today - LLC Class 50 will not be happening:

Dear funders, it is with regret that I have to inform you that Little Loco Company and our partner SJLR Models have decided not to continue development of the Class 50 models as a joint venture. Having discussed the financial implications of competition from a larger and more aggressive company with substantial retailer and customer support we decided the risk was too great to take. The reality is that this is a £275,000 project with only approx 220 guaranteed sales from you, the funders. Having a direct competitor will reduce any possible retail sales to a level that has a real chance of making a substantial loss for the project as a whole, and likely for our competitor too. While we are totally confident of producing a far superior model with a much higher specification for exactly the same price as our competitor, there is no guarantee of making enough retail sales to generate the funds to pay for the development and production (you as funders would have obtained the model for cost price). We were aiming for our first engineering prototype to be presented in January. CAD has already been started, the sound project recorded and drive profile underway, all available relevant drawings obtained and we have the support of several groups and private owners. There is a possibility that the Class 50 project could still go ahead at some point in the future, so all research material and CAD will be kept on file. LLCs financial commitment is still there, but until we are in a position to fund the entire project we cannot proceed. I would like to personally thank you for your interest and support. This decision will have no effect on LLCs planned model releases.

Dear funders, it is with regret that I have to inform you that Little Loco Company and our partner SJLR Models have decided not to continue development of the Class 50 models as a joint venture. Having discussed the financial implications of competition from a larger and more aggressive company with substantial retailer and customer support we decided the risk was too great to take. The reality is that this is a £275,000 project with only approx 220 guaranteed sales from you, the funders. Having a direct competitor will reduce any possible retail sales to a level that has a real chance of making a substantial loss for the project as a whole, and likely for our competitor too. While we are totally confident of producing a far superior model with a much higher specification for exactly the same price as our competitor, there is no guarantee of making enough retail sales to generate the funds to pay for the development and production (you as funders would have obtained the model for cost price). We were aiming for our first engineering prototype to be presented in January. CAD has already been started, the sound project recorded and drive profile underway, all available relevant drawings obtained and we have the support of several groups and private owners. There is a possibility that the Class 50 project could still go ahead at some point in the future, so all research material and CAD will be kept on file. LLCs financial commitment is still there, but until we are in a position to fund the entire project we cannot proceed. I would like to personally thank you for your interest and support. This decision will have no effect on LLCs planned model releases.

Got my email too  :scratchhead:  

.....and bang goes the chance of getting a half-decent O gauge class 50!

Really rather p*ssed off now.

It is wrong!

Seeing as I own abit of a real one and can pop outside and a 10 yard walk for a butchers, it is plain wrong!

It has the same shape error as the Hornby version and the JLTRT version has.

The rest of it looks good, but the cab front, no.

There is quite a pronounced curve to the top of the nose, the 2 handrails below the screens are almost level with each other on the model showing that the nose top is to flat. This also makes the windscreens look to perpendicular to each other aka, almost level with one another.

The cab front is curved from side to side and also below the windscreens on a 50. None of it is flat!

As highlighted in this photo attached. https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob50037/3562980732/in/photolist-6qRd3h-pTFth2-6qRdVU-sCdqBy-sEKdaW-cViqtb-bu2CnQ-GSybkN-smQHyC-smW8rr-rRu46P-aiichm-dWVBUi-behRmk-zjhJHY-rGvJdy-X9auDR-k7yX2z-dX2hi3-27ZygS5-8kLiEf-25mMr5o-tArPij-283enxy-KYHMGs-27FRgZx-HU772h-k7AM1j-7YefAQ-iRwQUZ-qoqz9c-cox1Vf-8kH7sH-DpLSZr-dWVC5B-5fZNan-ePGctk-GAv6qN-f5Myp3-dV4wzH-akrBma-q9h5Qz-ShSX6w-23jB924-E9qAMX-dt8SUw-tsjzVd-TqRNso-25mFjad-du8cBC

Edited by tinsley-toton

My biggest issue is the production of a loco with a NRN roof pod.

From a manufacturers point of view, I would have thought the production of as many different liveries as possible would be more financially viable, thus, for a pre circa 1988 loco, you will need to cut/file off the NRN pod.

My biggest issue is the production of a loco with a NRN roof pod.

From a manufacturers point of view, I would have thought the production of as many different liveries as possible would be more financially viable, thus, for a pre circa 1988 loco, you will need to cut/file off the NRN pod.

It will be in the bag of bits for you to fit yourself.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed. By virtue of the black background, the curve is easier to see in that picture!

Ive been waiting for an accurate Class 50 for some 35 years now.

Unless its done properly, Ill be keeping my money in my pocket.

It will, of course, sell very well and good luck to them, but it's not for me.

I was holding out for the LLC doing it right and I'm sure they would have done but it looks like that's scuppered too.

Ill just leave this here-

post-299-0-31654800-1528908822.jpg

Edited by Gary H

Ive been waiting for an accurate Class 50 for some 35 years now.

Unless its done properly, Ill be keeping my money in my pocket.

It will, of course, sell very well and good luck to them, but it's not for me.

I had toyed with the idea of 7mm because I do like the Class 50, but sadly for £700 I expect better so like you I am no longer interested. 

My hope at this point is that Hatton's is successful with their Class 66, demonstrating that there is a market for a new, more detailed version of models that are considered by many to be "good enough", and as a result someone does a better Class 50 in OO.

Yep agree with you on that Heljan are getting a bit of a reputation for turning out s..t models I’m afraid. I was going to go for two large logo and br blue won’t be wasting 1200 quid on something they think is ok to chuck out to us.

• Administrators

I had toyed with the idea of 7mm because I do like the Class 50, but sadly for £700 I expect better so like you I am no longer interested. 

The quote that went with the photo was "A selection of photos of the new Heljan O gauge Class 50. As usual at this stage, it’s an early prototype and subject to change. We have already identified a few areas for improvement."

Surely it's worth waiting for the finished product before chucking toys out of the pram. It's not like you have to pre-order the thing.

Please stop being so melodramatic- it’s too early to judge Heljan‘s forthcoming model. With support like this it’s a wonder they bother. We should be cheering them on and encouraging them to get it right rather than just saying we‘re not going to buy the model already!

It is also worth remembering that Heljan now have a new UK representative, someone who I am sure will not accept second best, when he himself has through his previous employments been paid to look for discrepancies in models, and report them to us. Over to you, Ben.

• RMweb Gold

The quote that went with the photo was "A selection of photos of the new Heljan O gauge Class 50. As usual at this stage, it’s an early prototype and subject to change. We have already identified a few areas for improvement."

Surely it's worth waiting for the finished product before chucking toys out of the pram. It's not like you have to pre-order the thing.

Perhaps people like me have little faith as Heljan have a habit of giving such statements and then going on to produce deformed models seemingly unchanged? With such a reputation and history why would people have any faith in Heljan actually correcting the cab on the 50? Added to that, the Heljan model has put a stop to a competitors model seen as having a greater potential for accuracy

If a miracle does occur and the Heljan class 50 front end is correct I for one will be happy to congratulate and praise them (and buy one).

• Like 2

It is also worth remembering that Heljan now have a new UK representative, someone who I am sure will not accept second best, when he himself has through his previous employments been paid to look for discrepancies in models, and report them to us. Over to you, Ben.

Totally agree but at least he knows some folks won’t accept just what’s dished up and let’s face it the comments are justified from some of the previous offerings. I think everyone just wants a decent model. Some constructive comments on the Heljan A4 and that’s going to be a superb model, these opportunities are rare so come on let’s have a good go at it, they’ll sell loads if they get it right.

:(    shame , it could be worse though - you could be modelling N gauge  - Dapols attempt is no better.

I fear that the fact we are seeing a real life plastic pre production model basically means most of the metal has been cut now -  little things can be tweaked yes, but I think its beyond the point where major shape errors can be corrected (be nice to be proved wrong though)  It does seem like the class 60 and 52 all over again.

Here, by the way is what a 50 should look like: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112640-trethosa/page-2 it may be a 4mm scale model but  more usefully, the corrections to the RTR model give a good guide/explanation to getting the cab looking right. Heljan and Dapol would do well to have a read of that thread very carefully - its brilliant. 

Jon 

Absolutely correct, but Heljan didn't do an N gauge Class 58.

Ok it was Dapol but it still had errors which they ignored the Class 58 LG advice.

This is from information I learned when I used to volunteer with the group.