Heljan announces the development of a Class 50

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Interesting* that Tower who traditionally did exclusive livery versions and always implied close ties with Heljan ("this will only go ahead if we get enough pre-orders") got theirs a bit later than some and have already sold out of a few liveries. I'm guessing a smaller allocation rather than selling much quicker than everywhere else -Hattons who have exclusives still showing "more than 10" of each type.

Looks like a change in favoured supplier although not sure if this has any impact on us as consumers.

*not guaranteed

Received my Large Logo model this morning just before being taken shopping by SWMBO. The box was soon opened once we returned and I am delighted with the model. I shall be fitting a Zimo MX699KS and noticed that in the instruction leaflet packed with the model, it states 'more detailed instructions for decoder installation are available on the Heljan website' - guess what? - there no instructions on their website principally due to the fact that the Class 50 does not even appear on their website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I wonder how long we will have to wait and will the Clayton be out sooner?

regards

Mike

5 hours ago, Clarky1000 said:

Nameplates arrived this morning from Severn Mill

Can anyone tell me where the builders plates go on a 50?

I can't find any photographs that show any on a loco.

EE normally put them under the can windows, but they aren't there on a 50.

To the left of the right hand sandbox on this photo, mirror image on the other side:

50009 Plymouth 14/08/81

Good luck with finding one on a refurb. I think they all had them removed as they were refurbished.

Edit: The plain blue refurbs seem to have kept them for a bit, here's the other side of 50001:

devon - 50001 exeter st davids 81 JL

Can't find a single one on a large logo loco.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Clarky1000 said:

Hi Flood

I just realised that you are the chap that does Kirkhill with Glen?

Glen and I started on the railways together in September 1981

Please give him my very best

Graeme

Just taken a photo of your post and sent it on WhatsApp to him.

30 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Any chance of some photos particularly how the front ended up looking? 

Don't know whether this is any use. Owned by one of the club members and shown last Friday night. Click to enlarge (hopefully).

796125624_Heljan50.jpg.0431f0dd6c34637c948693b817893c89.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Done a bit of work on the NSE 50 from Heljan. Unfortunately the white line on top of the yellow end is in the wrong place so I painted it on top of the ledge where it should be. Also repainted the yellow as I could not get a good match to paint out the old white line. Also a forgot to put the screws in to attach the ploughs but luckily I had some in a 25 model.Ploughs are a bit close to the track so be careful! Need to order some Railtec numbers for 50018 but that will have to wait a few days.

IMG_9093.JPG

IMG_9095.JPG

IMG_9098.JPG

IMG_9094.JPG

• Like 5

Aaah that tooks so much better with the paintwork on the nose corrected - and 018 was an absolute beast with its ploughs :heart_mini:  

Have you resprayed the blue as it looks lighter than the 'press' shots of the revised NSE model ?

Regards

Jon 

7 hours ago, Clarky1000 said:

image.png.b5ff488b4579f92d6253324120005d08.pngimage.png.a81dcaf2d624ce7ad090f13a6a85067c.png

Here's mine!

Just need to paint the nose handrails white and the wheels black

Lovely model

Have you used the film free decals from railtec, I was hoping to avoid airbrushing the whole body side to seal them in but I can’t see a way round it. If you have what varnish did you use. Can anyone make a suggestion.

7 minutes ago, delticfan said:

Have you used the film free decals from railtec, I was hoping to avoid airbrushing the whole body side to seal them in but I can’t see a way round it. If you have what varnish did you use. Can anyone make a suggestion.

I have in fact just created in the past couple of hours another 7mm filmless pack for NSE sizes loco numbers after seeing Brian's tasty looking 50. Here's the link, if it helps:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3975

Parallel filmless packs for standard size BR, larger 8" Scottish and large logo numbers already exist, in addition of course to the conventional range. Hopefully this should cover all the bases. There also exists complete loco packs with your choice of number for various class 50 liveries.

Edited by railtec-models

13 minutes ago, Clarky1000 said:

Yes I did use the Railtec Film Free Decals

They are quite delicate, but work very well

I haven't used any varnish to protect them to date, but I generally use Tamiya varnish.

Its very fine and does give a great finish

G

Thanks I was hoping not to varnish and thanks for the advice railtec. I’ve used Tamiya xf86 before but not on such a massive area.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, delticfan said:

I usually seal pressfix type with thinned varnish painted just over the transfer with a tiny brush. I always weather so the slight overlap here and there wont show and safer than doing the whole thing. Admittedly I've never deliberately picked anything up roughly to test it but I think it works! 

Presumably this approach could be applied to the filmless type as well?

Edit - thinking about it I used railtec individual numbers on my class 25 and sealed them by hand.

Edited by Hal Nail