Heljan announces the development of a Class 50

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Ajax had a black roof certainly in late eighties till withdrawal, it was the last of the logs and a regular reliable loco on the Mule.

Alan

You're correct; she received a black roof at some point after refurbishment (and possibly at the same time as she received her crest).  But she emerged from refurbishment in the standard large-logo livery.  See http://class50.co.uk/main.htm

Dates for large logo class 50s with black roofs

42: 7/84 - 1/86, back to grey after Intermediate exam at Doncaster

23: 9/84 - 2/85 black middle section with blue cab roofs, back to grey after Intermediate exam at Doncaster

46: 4/85 - 25/3/92, withdrawn

28: 7/85 - 9/87, to NSE after F exam at Laira

8 : 8/85 - 2/86, back to grey after Intermediate exam at Doncaster

43: 10/85 - 11/87, to NSE after F exam at Laira

44: 10/85 - 11/86, to NSE after Intermediate exam at Doncaster

27: 11/85 - 12/87, to NSE after F exam at Laira

24: 1/86 - 12/87, to NSE after F exam at Laira

49: 1/86 - 9/8/87, to 50149

47: 2/86 - 13/4/88, withdrawn

6 : 3/86 - 20/7/87, withdrawn

14: 3/86 - 14/12/87, withdrawn

2 : 4/86 - 2/87, to NSE after Intermediate exam at Doncaster

11: 5/86 - 24/2/87, withdrawn

3 : 6/86 - 3/88, to NSE after F exam at Laira

16: 5/88 - 4/90, to NSE

From 50024 to 50003 the locos received orange stripes and red buffer beams as well. 50046, 50028, 50043 and 50027 also gained orange stripes in 1986 with 50027 and 50043 also gaining red buffer beams. 50016 had orange stripes but not the red buffer beams.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 23/12/2019 at 23:34, uk_pm said:

No plans, as I understand it.  I can see that the single livery might be a problem; but I suppose its a case of never say never with O gauge these days.  

Which is a shame as i am sure it would be a good seller. I intend to unrefurbish mine having done similer to a rebuilt RJH kit some years ago. RJH or maybe PWP made made an unrefurbished kit as i owned one, see below.

Alan

class 50 50027 on bridge.JPG

• Like 3

I have now installed the Zimo MX699KS decoder and two Ice Cube speakers and am very pleased with the results. 

P1010450.JPG.caaf63ac4e1f34daf623e57fe0de8043.JPG

P1010451.JPG.a04af4033db770b36bd3a2ce091149f0.JPG

It was a welcome 'find' in the manner that Heljan had wired up their pcb - taking the wires from the right hand side to the screw terminals on the left hand side and vice versa, meant that the wires as fitted were long enough to be fitted on to the MX699KS without having to lengthen some as was the usual case in the past. In the photos above, I had not installed any resistors into the lighting circuits and all was well when I applied power to the decoder, in hindsight, I have now inserted resistors to be on the safe side. Is this an 'overkill' because Heljan have resistors in the circuit off of their pcb?

regards

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar
  • Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 17:09, Ressaldar said:

I have now installed the Zimo MX699KS decoder and two Ice Cube speakers and am very pleased with the results. 

P1010450.JPG.caaf63ac4e1f34daf623e57fe0de8043.JPG

P1010451.JPG.a04af4033db770b36bd3a2ce091149f0.JPG

Is this an 'overkill' because Heljan have resistors in the circuit off of their pcb?

regards

Mike

Yep, resistors are fitted to the lighting boards.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Tower told me they only made fifty.

I'm surprised they sold that many of one livery in a way - shows how popular 7mm is getting. What would the total production of say the 45, which has pretty much gone, have been?

14 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Tower told me they only made fifty.

I was wondering how many they made! ... Panicked a bit when they started selling out quickly

It was the other halfs suggestion to have the pair. Which was a MASSIVE shock!

Just awaiting Numbers and Nameplates to do 50007/50014 now!

Also sound chips for both to run on the new depot layout thats in the planning

IMG_9825 copy 2.jpg

IMG_2550 copy 2.jpg

Edited by cazadoom
More Info
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I understand the total production, across all liveries, was c. 1,000 locos.  I'm glad they're selling well.  

Here's 50013 getting underway with a parcels train... and 50007 with a TPO

IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_1586.jpeg

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, uk_pm said:

I understand the total production, across all liveries, was c. 1,000 locos.  I'm glad they're selling well.  

Here's 50013 getting underway with a parcels train...

IMG_1582.jpeg

A very nice weathering job there, loving the filth around the exhaust ports!

Are those drop steps by the buffers plastic? Is it possible to straighten a little without breakage? They should hang vertical 

6 hours ago, Gary H said:

A very nice weathering job there, loving the filth around the exhaust ports!

Are those drop steps by the buffers plastic? Is it possible to straighten a little without breakage? They should hang vertical 

On 01/01/2020 at 10:07, Hal Nail said:

I'm surprised they sold that many of one livery in a way - shows how popular 7mm is getting. What would the total production of say the 45, which has pretty much gone, have been?

Seems one thousand total for each model.

I have a blue one which according to the box is no.112 and a revised NSE which is no.573., i am surprised i got them as according to DPD they were delivered at 5pm with my signature which didnt actually happen but when i woke up early next morning they were left propped up against the porch door soaking wet.

DPD didnt want to know!

19 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Seems one thousand total for each model.

I have a blue one which according to the box is no.112 and a revised NSE which is no.573., i am surprised i got them as according to DPD they were delivered at 5pm with my signature which didnt actually happen but when i woke up early next morning they were left propped up against the porch door soaking wet.

DPD didnt want to know!

The numbers on the outer cardboard boxes are just the carton shipping numbers for that shipment. They don't relate to the number of each model, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 23/12/2019 at 16:20, brian daniels said:

Done a bit of work on the NSE 50 from Heljan. Unfortunately the white line on top of the yellow end is in the wrong place so I painted it on top of the ledge where it should be. Also repainted the yellow as I could not get a good match to paint out the old white line. Also a forgot to put the screws in to attach the ploughs but luckily I had some in a 25 model.Ploughs are a bit close to the track so be careful! Need to order some Railtec numbers for 50018 but that will have to wait a few days.

IMG_9093.JPG

IMG_9095.JPG

IMG_9098.JPG

IMG_9094.JPG

Carefull doing 50018..... its numbers and 'Network Southeast' branding was higher up the bodyside than all the others, you would have to remove Heljans NSE wording and reapply it higher up.

And if you fancy a challenge, quite a few photos show 50018 running around with twisted jumper cables.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Carefull doing 50018..... its numbers and 'Network Southeast' branding was higher up the bodyside than all the others, you would have to remove Heljans NSE wording and reapply it higher up.

And if you fancy a challenge, quite a few photos show 50018 running around with twisted jumper cables.

Could it have been painted into that livery twice?

There were some oddities. I have a photo somewhere of 50017 in revised NSE with a lighter blue, possibly the original NSE blue. I don't think it was a 1-off but cannot be sure.

I can't be certain that it never carried revised NSE with the correct darker blue.

57 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Not only was it higher up ,but it was applied very wonky on one side - ! its clearly visible in both revised and original NSE livery - proving that only the cabs were painted when it was revised!

'017 did get the later dark blue , complete with West of England brandings - it always looked weird with the nameplate above the "Network Southeast " on one side. Not as weird as that LMS maroon/gold livery though - the less said about that the better!

tfn

Jon 

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Could it have been painted into that livery twice?

There were some oddities. I have a photo somewhere of 50017 in revised NSE with a lighter blue, possibly the original NSE blue. I don't think it was a 1-off but cannot be sure.

I can't be certain that it never carried revised NSE with the correct darker blue.

There were lots of 50's in "revised" NSE livery with the lighter blue that was used on original (upswept ends)  NSE locos. More than ever received the darker blue! So certainly not a one-off...

Edited by admiles
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, admiles said:

There were lots of 50's in "revised" NSE livery with the lighter blue

Not according to the Heljan rep I spoke to at Warley there were none! :rolleyes: A lot were scrapped in that shade/livery.

I want one in that shade of blue but revised ends so I guess a respray of the blue is the only way atm.

37 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Not according to the Heljan rep I spoke to at Warley there were none! :rolleyes: A lot were scrapped in that shade/livery.

I want one in that shade of blue but revised ends so I guess a respray of the blue is the only way atm.

Yep I want a couple in the lighter blue. I'm fairly sure my painting skills aren't up to changing the blue. I've been looking for someone to do it for me without luck so far.

Not sure whether to chance Heljan doing a future release with the lighter blue or go buy now and go down the repaint route.

Edited by admiles