Heljan announces the development of a Class 50

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, admiles said:

Not sure whether to chance Heljan doing a future release with the lighter blue or go buy now and go down the repaint route.

that’s exactly where I am atm! £600 and I need to paint it?

0Z50 has arrived

Payslip Paul just checking it’s his for the afternoon

Heljans new shipping boards prove wood is better than MDF. Travelled half way around the world and no damage. This is the first loco I have received with no Damage. Well done Ben for listening and ditching MDF

89DC3927-9695-4B22-914C-4D2C6C3D0D98.jpeg.a0ef629d46fd30f470274d7583a7f56c.jpeg

• Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 15:22, Temeraire said:

Not according to the Heljan rep I spoke to at Warley there were none! :rolleyes: A lot were scrapped in that shade/livery.

I want one in that shade of blue but revised ends so I guess a respray of the blue is the only way atm.

You need to remember that these shades of blue faded quickly, looking at both 017 and 030 on Youtube  Class 50 "Thrash" they both look the same!

On 26/12/2019 at 23:35, uk_pm said:

Here's a picture of the chassis laden with highly effective speakers.  The result, when mixed with Legomanbiffo's class 50 recordings, is glorious.  

PM

IMG_1555.jpeg

Fab! Any chance of a video demonstration?:biggrin_mini2:

On 13/01/2020 at 13:23, Captain Cuttle said:

You need to remember that these shades of blue faded quickly, looking at both 017 and 030 on Youtube  Class 50 "Thrash" they both look the same!

But as we all know there were two distinct shades of blue used on "revised NSE" livery...

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, 43179 said:

Photos are extremely misleading as to the shades of blue on revised locos. 
West of England branding = dark blue , BR Arrows = light blue , simples. 
Jon

There's always an exception isn't there!

50023 in dark Network with larger than usual BR sign, March 1990

50023 Howe. Old Oak Common Mpd., 17-03-1990

To be fair, it was a Thames Line based loco when it was repainted dark blue and the BR sign was painted out pretty quickly when transferred to West of England. 50023 Salisbury July 1990

CP024 140790 Salisbury 50023

I'm pretty sure that no. 23 is the only one to be like this and the over exposed second photo certainly doesn't help livery recognition.

Edited by Flood

2 hours ago, Flood said:

There's always an exception isn't there!

50023 in dark Network with larger than usual BR sign, March 1990

50023 Howe. Old Oak Common Mpd., 17-03-1990

To be fair, it was a Thames Line based loco when it was repainted dark blue and the BR sign was painted out pretty quickly when transferred to West of England. 50023 Salisbury July 1990

CP024 140790 Salisbury 50023

I'm pretty sure that no. 23 is the only one to be like this and the over exposed second photo certainly doesn't help livery recognition.

A rogue!  - unusual sized arrows on it as well- they looks huge, plus of course no white cantrail stripe on the cabs . I think there was possibly 2 other oddballs like 023 in the dark blue.
‘Howe’ also had some rather fetching black windscreens when it was in original NSE - which I’m sure would look look rather nice on the Heljan model.

jon 

1 hour ago, Temeraire said:

but not according to Heljan. :negative:

ooer ... do they know that there's also more than one version of original NSE...?

This excellent thread below overs pretty much everything.

If Heljan ever wanted to make numbered NSE class 50s each with the correct livery variation  , there's enough there to keep them going for a very long time! :)   

Jon 

Has anyone had the courage to make any modifications/improvements to their 50 yet?

Specifically, what about fitting etched snowploughs?

I presume that PH Designs' Class 37 snowplough *should* fit (never presume anything), but may need some modification?

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_35_67&product_id=237

Edited by Mel_H

On 17/01/2020 at 16:30, Mel_H said:

Has anyone had the courage to make any modifications/improvements to their 50 yet?

Specifically, what about fitting etched snowploughs?

I presume that PH Designs' Class 37 snowplough *should* fit (never presume anything), but may need some modification?

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_35_67&product_id=237

Not yet but I'm pondering the best way to paint the bufferbeam. Very busy there with lots of pipework. Don't know how much is removable and I'm not keen to break bits trying. Can't see a way to mask everything either though.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, dodge605 said:

I recently purchased Fox etched plates for Defiance,and it seems the printed Heljan plate is either too big or the Fox nameplate is too small, does anyone know if Defiance plates were different size when repainted to R/freight livery

Thanks

I would have expected the same plates to have been re-fitted after repaint.

This is a bit frustrating because I have the same model & wanted to fit etched plates. Didn't 50149 also have some extra fittings which are missing from the Heljan model? (it is packed away right now).

I have had the same in OO with either Lima or Hornby's printed plates being larger than after-market etched ones.

8 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I would have expected the same plates to have been re-fitted after repaint.

This is a bit frustrating because I have the same model & wanted to fit etched plates. Didn't 50149 also have some extra fittings which are missing from the Heljan model? (it is packed away right now).

I have had the same in OO with either Lima or Hornby's printed plates being larger than after-market etched ones.

The Fox plates only come with one crest even though  there are two on model and 2 on real loco, would be a bit worried trying to remove printed ones without damaging paint, will leave it for now

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, dodge605 said:

The Fox plates only come with one crest even though  there are two on model and 2 on real loco, would be a bit worried trying to remove printed ones without damaging paint, will leave it for now

I can understand that. It is an expensive model to make a mess of.

Mine will be going S7 when I have the courage to start messing with it. :o

Gents,

Has anyone managed to remove the body, I need to fit a chip but as yet carn't get beyond the HT cables. The instruction sheet clearly says remove them before body removal however they are rock solid at every mounting point.

Any advise most welcome.

Craig.

3 hours ago, duff man said:

Gents,

Has anyone managed to remove the body, I need to fit a chip but as yet carn't get beyond the HT cables. The instruction sheet clearly says remove them before body removal however they are rock solid at every mounting point.

Any advise most welcome.

Craig.

On mine I managed to pull the cable out from the buffer beam socket.

Paul

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 21:16, birdseyecircus said:

On mine I managed to pull the cable out from the buffer beam socket.

Paul

Hi Paul.

Many thanks for your response, could I ask you to clarify, do you mean you pulled the cable downward from the mounting under the buffer beam or did you pull outward from the mounting above the buffer beam on the cab front?

Thank you

Craig.

23 minutes ago, duff man said:

Hi Paul.

Many thanks for your response, could I ask you to clarify, do you mean you pulled the cable downward from the mounting under the buffer beam or did you pull outward from the mounting above the buffer beam on the cab front?

Thank you

Craig.

I tried to pull the socket out from the cab but it was well stuck and I did not want to force it. Looking at the other end of the cable at the buffer beam I gently pull the cable towards me.

This left the socket still attached to the buffer beam but allowed the body to be removed. 

I may have been lucky as the factory may not have glued it well.

Paul