Heljan announces the development of a Class 50

MGR Hooper!

Agreed. It still a long way off to my eyes! That ledge is far to flat and ruins the whole character of the loco.

Like I said a few pages back, the tooling is far too advanced to make any real difference at this stage of production so what we have is an 0 gauge Hornby version.  

I measured the slope of the windscreens with a digital angle finder a couple of weeks ago and its between 3 and 4 degrees, the same as the rain gutter under the headcode box.

And what's worrying is that these things are more noticeable in larger scales.

According to the information at the SVR 50 013 was the original attempt. The grey body shell and large logo model 50 037 are the final version and this is what will go into production.

Such a pity as the nose still looks too flat. In a scale like O gauge, itst more obvious than ever.

Agreed. It still a long way off to my eyes! That ledge is far to flat and ruins the whole character of the loco.

Like I said a few pages back, the tooling is far too advanced to make any real difference at this stage of production so what we have is an 0 gauge Hornby version.  

I measured the slope of the windscreens with a digital angle finder a couple of weeks ago and its between 3 and 4 degrees, the same as the rain gutter under the headcode box.

Totally agree. As with the previous incarnations of the class 50 the black sash around the cab windows in the refurb livery can hide some of the shape issues.  My preference is original blue with yellow cab surrounds however, and the problems cannot be disguised. 

just as well I don't model in 7mm

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree. As with the previous incarnations of the class 50 the black sash around the cab windows in the refurb livery can hide some of the shape issues.  My preference is original blue with yellow cab surrounds however, and the problems cannot be disguised. 

just as well I don't model in 7mm

And just exemplify that fact, it's perfectly visible here in the Hattons close up-  http://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/mediaimages/Heljan50_1.jpg

The gutter, windscreens and nose ledge are perfectly straight/flat. The unpainted shell picture and  large logo example are all exactly the same, unfortunately. 

Its a shame because apart from the NRN radio pod, the rest of it looks very good.

Edited by Gary H

That looks just like the Hornby 4mm one? :scratchhead:

Clarification please Mr Daniels? :scratchhead:

The Hornby model, in addition to its other issues, has the exact same front end issue to the point (not that I am saying this happened) it looks like someone simply enlarged the Hornby Class 50 front end to 7mm.  Alternately, they are all sourcing the same incorrect drawings perhaps, but it is frustrating when a known issue on previous models albeit in a different scale occur yet again.

A shame about the HJ nose, but the cynics among us probably expected it ;) 

The real shame is that it scuppered the chances of a truly accurate version from LLC. My finances dictate I wouldn't have been in the market for either, but a real shame nonetheless.

l

And I have to say - the real thing didn't half look great in Largo Blue!! :locomotive: :yes: :sungum:

I don't want to stir up a hornets nest here but I'm really not seeing much difference between the pictured real and model fronts of the locos . I don't want to go down the "it looks ok to me" route for an argument but the real loco seems to have a curve under the windows and so does the model . Am I missing something ?

I Have already pre ordered one of these anyway. Like Funitmad says , they did look good in LLB.

A shame about the HJ nose, but the cynics among us probably expected it ;)

The real shame is that it scuppered the chances of a truly accurate version from LLC. My finances dictate I wouldn't have been in the market for either, but a real shame nonetheless.

l

And I have to say - the real thing didn't half look great in Largo Blue!! :locomotive: :yes: :sungum:

IMHO the large logo livery with the "bandit sash" over the cab windows was actually a redeeming feature of LLB livery and disguises the error to an extent.  The error however is not just the shelf below the windscreens. It is the shape of the windscreens, and the lie of the gutter above them. 

And just exemplify that fact, it's perfectly visible here in the Hattons close up-  http://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/mediaimages/Heljan50_1.jpg

The gutter, windscreens and nose ledge are perfectly straight/flat. The unpainted shell picture and  large logo example are all exactly the same, unfortunately. 

Its a shame because apart from the NRN radio pod, the rest of it looks very good.

Having looked at Brian Daniels' piccies of the blue one, I am not so sure the "shelf" is too wrong.  It is clearly curved on the model - at least on Brian's. I believe the principle problem with the Heljan moulding is the shape of the windscreen apertures, and the windows that fit in them. Because the windows are the wrong shape, it makes the gutter and the "shelf" look wrong, where they might actually be correct.

I think that if Brian were to kindly post an image of one of his 50s "head on" we would be able to see for sure, but I obviously understand if Brian didn't wish to do that.   

That looks just like the Hornby one

its a bit of  coincidence that both the Heljan and the Hornby 50 incorrectly have the compressors balancing implausably on one mounting cradle - rather than sitting on cross members between two mounting cradles  :nono:

Jon

its a bit of coincidence that both the Heljan and the Hornby 50 incorrectly have the compressors balancing implausably on one mounting cradle - rather than sitting on cross members between two mounting cradles :nono:

Jon

Is it possible Heljan got the cad off Hornby instead of doing a new one ?

Brian

There is an alternative class 50 model (kit) now available in 7mm in original and modified version. Although not RTR it is a choice of HJ or not HJ!

One will be available at discounted rates in due course, the other will need your house to be remortgaged.

• Like 1

its a bit of coincidence that both the Heljan and the Hornby 50 incorrectly have the compressors balancing implausably on one mounting cradle - rather than sitting on cross members between two mounting cradles :nono:

Jon

The Heljan 37 also has a few of the faults in the second release Bachmann 4mm model as well, although thankfully they fixed the nose.

Bigger version if it helps.

attachicon.gif053 M21 REM175 Class 50-1.jpg

Better but still not quite there - if you look at the prototype photo above it - concerntrate on the lower corners of the headcode box , and how they relate to the rainstrip below them;   there's a much smaller gap than there should be betwen the two on the model. - somethings amiss there and its compounding other faults -   I'd be interested to see the model (more specifically the cab) from above - anyone have a shot?

Jon

Yep....it helps to show how wrong it is!

Maybe it’s just me, but I really don’t see what is so wrong with this model. I get the impression that even if the Heljan model was the most accurate model ever made there would still be a small minority determined to find fault and write it off. Whether this is because these individuals still feel aggrieved that Heljan announced this model just to spite Little Loco Company’s offering is debatable. If this was the case, I find it strange that Heljan have progressed this far so quickly, unless O gauge models have a much shorter lead time to market than what every other manufacturer achieves! I had put my name down for a couple of class 50’s from LLC and I’m sure, on past performance they would have been great, but we are where we are and I think it’s best to stay objective about the model and stop acting like petulant children. I’m all for constructive criticism, but This feel like nit picking for the sake of having a dig at Heljan. We should at least be thankful that we aren’t N gauge modellers..... the current engineering models from Dapol still look some way off from achieving the correct face, yet interesting don’t seem to be attracting anywhere near the level of flak it’s bigger brother is! Come on guys, play fair and be more objective!

Bigger version if it helps.

attachicon.gif053 M21 REM175 Class 50-1.jpg

Well I have to admit that it does look better - & although it really still isn't quite right - somehow the windscreens on the real thing seem much more angled, both downwards and back to the outer edges - I do think that in BR Largo I would, if I had the £££ available, be very tempted indeed. :yes:

It would bring back rather nice memories of seeing them at B'ham New St, and feeling them too - even at tickover they could vibrate your internal organs way before boy racers started fitting sub-woofers in their XR3i's !! :jester:

• Like 2