Heljan announces the development of a Class 50

MGR Hooper!

Hornby supposedly scanned a VEP, and look at the abortion that was. Bogies back to front, cab front completely wrong, no windows in the compartment corridor portion, motor in the passenger saloon instead of the guards van....scanning is no guarantee of a good product

As I have said before, scanning is just one of the tools in kit. It’s not the answer to everything and should only be used in conjunction with all the other resources available. As for the VEP statement, some of that was down to assembly issues, poor thought and lack of attention. Don’t forget this was in the design clever period. Which went well.

Cheers

Shane

I thought that the model was being built in conjunction with the Class 50 Fund?

Have they given a definitive review of the final model to be released? Are they 100% happy with the model?

If they are think there is nothing wrong with the model and it looks like it should then I might reconsider buying one.

Edited by HullCityB17

I hope you understand that my post was in reply to a fellow member offering and explanation as to what I personally feel may be upsetting people. And it's not necessarily my actual opinion on the matter.

My only opinion being that I felt LLC could've done a better job and I wish LLC didn't face so many issues that they eventually did. The notion of one manufacturer announcing something just to stop another is something I personally don't believe in. I was simply re-posting what I've seen so far in this thread.

I’m sorry if my post felt like I was directed at you. I promise you it wasn’t, I was just trying to add a bit of balance and objectivity to some of the more extreme views that I have read. The posting by Steve from LLC might explain the background to some of the negativity posted on here!

Cheers, Nick

I thought the big new thing a few years ago was scanning the prototype - so this sort of argument couldn't happen- what happened to that idea?

Scanning, while certainly useful particularly if there are complex curves or other shapes that can be difficult to measure, isn't a silver bullet.

It costs extra money (both in the scanning itself and then turning what scanned into a drawing) and requires access to the real thing (not always possible).

Hornby supposedly scanned a VEP, and look at the abortion that was. Bogies back to front, cab front completely wrong, no windows in the compartment corridor portion, motor in the passenger saloon instead of the guards van....scanning is no guarantee of a good product

Wasn't aware that Hornby laser-scanned the 4-VEP, I thought the first locomotive they scanned was the Class 71 which came years after the 4-VEP.

Can anyone confirm?

• 3 weeks later...

for those complaining about the slight mis-shape on the cab front, here is one of the current cheaper alternatives and you have to assemble and paint it yourself. 

http://www.prmrp.com/diesel-kits.html

unless you of course want to go down the JLTRT route, which is about the same cost as the Heljan model and again, requires motors, wheels, assembly, paint and transfers.

so in perspective, the Heljan model is great, and can also be applied to their class 25 models, with minor errors. a lot better than some of the alternatives

i have been currently adding detail to my class 33, its been great to improve on a good base model, easier than building a complete kit, after all, its railway modelling, not railway unboxing, and also by adding detail it becomes a more personal unique item

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I have to admit that it does look better - & although it really still isn't quite right - somehow the windscreens on the real thing seem much more angled, both downwards and back to the outer edges - I do think that in BR Largo I would, if I had the £££ available, be very tempted indeed. :yes:

It would bring back rather nice memories of seeing them at B'ham New St, and feeling them too - even at tickover they could vibrate your internal organs way before boy racers started fitting sub-woofers in their XR3i's !! :jester:

Spoke to Tower Models and they say the alterations to the body is why the loco will appear later this year as its missed its slot.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Spoke to Tower Models and they say the alterations to the body is why the loco will appear later this year as its missed its slot.

Good news! It shows they listened to concerns after all then.

If you are to do something, you may as well do it right!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

How about a show of hands for Heljan for maybe their first electric loco a Woodhead EM1!!!! I hope Ben is watching. Now an EM1 wouldn’t that be something..

:scratchhead:   https://www.google.co.uk/search?hs=FjJ&q=Heljan+em1&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=opera&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjM4rnPxvrfAhV0QxUIHZ2-AJ8QsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1440&bih=759

• RMweb Premium

Following the news about GBRf and a new Class 50 livery Heljan are adding it to their Class 50 production and are running a poll on their Facebook page as to whether produce if fully finished or unnumbered/unnamed, following poll I believe for which number to do.

https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/

Fully finished was the overwhelming majority, as was it being finished as Defiance 50049.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Looks ok to me, what do you see?

Looking very closely I think he means the bottom edge of the yellow stripe on the model is a tad lower down the body side than the real thing. The two engine room windows have a miniscule amount of extra yellow paint beneath their bottom edge on the model.

Wouldn’t bother me TBH if I liked Dutch. Which I don’t!

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Airport2010 said:

Looking very closely I think he means the bottom edge of the yellow stripe on the model is a tad lower down the body side than the real thing. The two engine room windows have a miniscule amount of extra yellow paint beneath their bottom edge on the model.

That's right, and it looks like the nameplate is a bit low too, measured from the yellow instead of being in line with the number. Minor things though,  overall it looks impressive.

16 hours ago, Airport2010 said:

I think Brian Daniels painted it and he is one of the best modellers out there so expect he got it as good as he good.