REBUILDING THE PDR

77philg

I think most of us "garden railwaymen" have problems with computers - it's the reason mine is deliberately positioned at the farthest point away from the window :nono:

Fingers crossed for the photo's you've got on there, I know that losing stuff when the computer snuffs it just adds insult to injury.

post-3023-0-65663500-1494159226.jpg

post-3023-0-35728100-1494159264.jpg

Just give Katie a test run changed all the servos for new with metal gears and ballraces in them .Changed the radio to 2.4 ghz Replaced a lot of the 0 rings ,shes like new and I do like the 2.4ghz radio more responsive phil

• Like 2

Nice work Phil' but is there any chance you could show us novices how you did it? and what the new parts look like etc?

I would have to physically show you , ive used the roundhouse, replacement o ring set and replaced  those on the cylinders, retimed the cylinders that took me a few hours . The steam feed to the cylinders has 2 washers that were leaking ,so I thought do the lot cause they go hard over time. The radio is a straight forward replacement The receiver being underneath the engine and rip out old one and replace pre testing the positions of the servos on the radio set. the new system you don't need to attach the Ariel to the roof The servos replaced the ones already in it .I fine tuned the servos to the radio set . then tested with a couple more adjustments loco done  . I'm having a bit of trouble with pictures at mo with the main pc down too. Well definitely have to meet and swap stories, I really want to look at that cabless diesel get somat running that you can adjust and come and play phil

• 4 weeks later...

Run the coal fired edrigg today . need to get a video camera ,but havnt a clue which one, so i can film my endevours .She ran well  [i love the smell of the burning coal] . any way remembered to get the camera out after I bought her back with the DM6, which is usual for me .

post-3023-0-35955200-1496249605.jpg

post-3023-0-99036500-1496249576.jpg

Still havnt named her yet     Phil

Edited by 77philg
  • Like 3

Do you need to use a special type of coal phil'? or will any do the job?

Yep I buy pease coal ,which is small pieces that saves you smashing it up yourself [ resembling peas] .There is another type that gives off a yellow sulphurous smoke ,but cant remember what that is called.  To start the fire you need wood charcoal soaked in white spirit .I have to break this up into small pieces stick it into a sealed jam jar and flood with the white spirit .Don't use meths cause you cant see that burning  IT is interesting trying to balance the water coal and fire to keep everything running, and I don't get it right everytime  , its great learning and every run is different.

post-3023-0-21573500-1496312001.jpg

9v battery  gives an idea of how small the pieces are  phil

Lovely engine there Phil. I have often drooled over the coal fired engines. Perhaps one day.

Think its every 16mms dream  ,I own two coal fired engines and to be honest would like another .When I bought the edrigg conversion it was a cheaper way of getting one ,with the cost of edrigg and the conversion it was under £2,700 at the time .But before going to buy any coal fired engine I would advise going to see the model in action first ,speaking to if possible to 1 or 2 buyers  and finding out if there is back up if anything goes wrong. Its a lot of money invested if it turns out a lemon. And once you have one that runs well its pure enjoyment and the smell of burning coal is bliss   phil

• RMweb Gold

Think its every 16mms dream  ,I own two coal fired engines and to be honest would like another .When I bought the edrigg conversion it was a cheaper way of getting one ,with the cost of edrigg and the conversion it was under £2,700 at the time .But before going to buy any coal fired engine I would advise going to see the model in action first ,speaking to if possible to 1 or 2 buyers  and finding out if there is back up if anything goes wrong. Its a lot of money invested if it turns out a lemon. And once you have one that runs well its pure enjoyment and the smell of burning coal is bliss   phil

I suspect you are right. I was considering a DJB engineering loco as a first. I was chatting with Paul about maybe having a re-run of the "Emma" kits he used to do in a couple of years - I need to save up first!

I suspect you are right. I was considering a DJB engineering loco as a first. I was chatting with Paul about maybe having a re-run of the "Emma" kits he used to do in a couple of years - I need to save up first!

Idris cant go wrong with Paul .customer service second to non and when I collected edrigg from him gave me instruction and a run on his test circuit . when I had a minor problem he sent me a replacement part foc .  definitely 5 star service.   phil

• 4 weeks later...

Found a bit of time to construct a machine box to fit on my bolsters . Not into a wood load so it was pipe or this .Now I need to construct D shackles to use to tie the load on

post-3023-0-81492300-1498752114.jpg

all planks are individually cut   from obechi  then glued with pva I realised after everything was glued I could have put weight in it DUH !  I use a proxxon saw really good tool for this .

30933396815_1cd705642f_z.jpgIMG_0837 by phil, on Flickr

post-3023-0-18089300-1498752667.jpg

Im cleaning the ngg11 next and giving it a good oiling and repairing a little damage to the front . Someone decided to do the ultimate no no and run into it . :nono:

and hopefully the weather will clear up and it will stop raining so I can get out and work on the railway  . :imsohappy:  Phil

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Had a test run on Monday of the coal fired edrigg [Need to name this loco ] + roundhouse DM6

post-3023-0-45176200-1504035355.jpg

post-3023-0-85336400-1504035396.jpg

Never seem to get a plume of smoke on a pic

post-3023-0-35175900-1504035425.jpg

post-3023-0-08261800-1504035981.jpg

post-3023-0-25064400-1504036000.jpg

The fastening of the load works well on the curves    phil

• Like 1

Did the test run go well Phil? nice to see the Blue sky over Lancs' for once this year  :jester:

Test went well she ran great but the water pump isn't working properly .So another strip down .The  todo list is getting longer  and longer , my roundtoit is exhausted . :jester:  Agree about the weather ,does make a change that there is no rain   phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well went to Doncaster rail show,  didn't intend to buy this but a mans gotta do  etc.

post-3023-0-74521000-1518453065.jpg

all the bits supplied with the loco  .The only things not supplied is:- gas, batteries, and water .

post-3023-0-39374100-1518453254.jpg

post-3023-0-50424200-1518453272.jpg

post-3023-0-35450000-1518453290.jpg

post-3023-0-86708400-1518453312.jpg

So when I've sourced rechargeable nimh batts I will give it a test run .There is a generator casting that has to be screwed onto the tank  but that's it  phil

Edited by 77philg
  • Like 1

Would be nice lined out Phil' Nice colours to! I can't say i liked the JCB Yellow version, :jester: I'd have to take the cocktail shaker chimney off it to Anglicize it a bit but it depends on your own personal preferences as to how you like it to look and what you want it to be. It's looking big enough without a tender 'un all! :O   :jester: Roll on better weather. :sungum:

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is an interesting discussion for me. Can I be permitted to ask a couple of questions please? The first one is about coal firing. I am about to do what I said I would never do again and that is buy a commercially made locomotive. However I have been left a bequest and I am seriously thinking (in memory of my brother) of purchasing a Brian Wilson "Jack" in 7/8ths. There is an option of coal fired but I hear a number of conflicting opinions as to whether its actually worth the bother yet others extol the virtues of coal firing. I am a bit torn really.

Secondly can I ask about the layout in the garden? The front brick walls look amazing to me and as I am having to have a raised track how is the back face on the fence boundary side dealt with?

Looking forward to reading any comments with thanks.

regards

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8573/30072299990_a3a8266932_z.jpg

If you look closely at the fence line there are blocks to stop any creep .All blocks are concrete type not light weight versions. These light weight if wet can freeze ,crack and fall apart .I've built it bomb proof ,I can walk on top of the line to do maintenance or retrieve a derailed loco. And its at a height that I don't have to bend my back. I hate grass so that's gone .I did a lot of the work myself with the wife . but for ground clearance and paving and humping 10 tonnes of hard core I bought in the professionals.

I will say for coal firing, I love it but my advice is before buying a certain model see it running first .Is it a good runner? Talk to the owner. And if anything goes wrong what's the aftercare like ? Watch him from start to finish ,or be cheeky ask him for a private viewing and can you have a go. I've shown one or two people how I do it. But every run is different, and sometimes I get it wrong and the fire drops .But the joy is you can start again and build the fire .The balancing act between fire, water to produce steam is the challenge and as I said I love it.

But get as much advice as possible before buying you don't want to buy a lemon. Presume you are a member of 16mm? I can recommend them if not .And the area groups are great for info. Went to the penkridge lot a few times when I was living down there 30 years ago, to be honest they got me hooked Phil

Not a problem with 7/8ths been interested myself, but id too much invested in 16mm to change .Although I could run 7/8ths on my 45mm track .Its amazing how many society's shoot themselves in the foot when something different comes along . Now they are trying to embrace all the narrow garden scales, but please keep us informed on what you are doing .I wouldn't mind a blow by blow account of how you build a coal fired engine in 7/8ths . phil

• Like 1