REBUILDING THE PDR

77philg

post-3023-0-07546700-1492963181.jpg

Had a blocked gas jet  so had to change it  this is a 2 burner boiler and when 1 gas jet goes down it seriously affects the performance . All 4 cylinders work so it tends to require a lot of steam. So the gas can be topped up regularly and so can the water. On one full gas tank I can get 20 min of run time, but the water will need to be topped up regularly on the run .

post-3023-0-81186800-1492963724.jpg

post-3023-0-62760600-1492963786.jpg

Got her running ok today eventually , I'm servicing my steam fleet for the summer  , This is a roundhouse Darjeeling Garratt  http://roundhouse-eng.com/  phil

Edited by 77philg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work with the track. And interesting comment re-the Peco points. I have replaced the tie bars entirely on a couple of mine with PCB sleepers, which gives plenty of area to solder the rails to. Has worked and seems to last well. 

post-3023-0-47758300-1493065763.jpg

post-3023-0-73619100-1493065788.jpg

post-3023-0-87981700-1493065802.jpg

This loco is the Bachmann spectrum shay . I ve  removed the pickups  fitted 8 sub c cells , a mac5 controller http://www.brianjonesmodels.co.uk/   and radio control. She runs for about 6 hrs on a full charge. The only thing is the bogies have plastic gears and require stripping and greasing often and I don't relish having to replace them .   phil

Edited by 77philg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_0815.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0816.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0817.JPG

This loco is the Bachmann spectrum shay . I ve  removed the pickups  fitted 8 sub c cells , a mac5 controller http://www.brianjonesmodels.co.uk/   and radio control. She runs for about 6 hrs on a full charge. The only thing is the bogies have plastic gears and require stripping and greasing often and I don't relish having to replace them .   phil

Nice! Surely the track isn't rough enough for a Shay?  :jester:

6hrs?!! Thats impressive. I guess thats the really big advantage of using C cells. There must be tons of space in the body then. Are the batteries in the boiler or the bunker?

Nice! Surely the track isn't rough enough for a Shay?  :jester:

6hrs?!! Thats impressive. I guess thats the really big advantage of using C cells. There must be tons of space in the body then. Are the batteries in the boiler or the bunker?

Nah there is not a lot of room in there everything is tight  [The bunker}. The sub c cells are because there are twin motors and AA cells  are not recommended with 2 motors + bigger capacity on sub cs  There is a mac 5 controller a radio receiver  and a thermal cut out packed in there with the 8 sub c s    I could always undulate the track to justify running it  :onthequiet:  :no:     phil

Edited by 77philg

I used  14mm brass rod   drilled and tapped to take the same allan key stud thats on the locos  fitted on to axle with the wheel drilled and tapped through with an 8ba steel hex head bolt  X2

idris I started to paint with undercoat on the underside to protect against water ingress then left it real coal dust did the rest

Im lucky that I have a workshop in the house but I can never keep it tidy enough   .The mini lathe and milling head come in really handy in this gauge ,as you can see in the pic .But there is never enough room to store it all .  The garage is even worse , that holds all my wood cutting machines. Don't like sheds you just cant protect them from the determined miscreant,  who thinks its ok to part you from your property.     phil

30456973731_2d00f3cd94_z.jpgIMG_0820 by phil, on Flickr

• Like 2

all of my stock that I build I fit a compensated chassis which really helps on uneven track. All the axles are sprung I Copied it from a wagon id seen '

5304213554_fd0cb43ace_b.jpgDSCF0856 by phil, on Flickr

5303621607_b2a175ef0d_b.jpgDSCF0859 by phil, on Flickr

I used to buy the  axle boxes [cast] from an 0 gauge supplier but cant seem to find him now so I'm now going to have to make them myself, the frames are 10mm brass angle they are very flexible for wheel base and can be made for 45mm or 32mm easily . bolt them to the underside of your wagon and remove easily if they require any maintenance.  I have a set of wagons that are made for 32mm that I take on tour on open days of 32mm lines saves having to make them all adjustable .Ive bought some of the accucraft  wagons but I don't fancy changing their wheels over ,I don't think that the screw holes could take it

30467424602_afdf09b85a_k.jpgIMG_0822 by phil, on Flickr

accucraft  on left the van on right was designed by a mate dave wilding

5300914631_df430c0b81_b.jpgIMG_0527  4 by phil, on Flickr

5301509692_889df75ce7_b.jpgIMG_0526  3 by phil, on Flickr

a quick way of changing wheelsets over

5301509552_7b12852c11_b.jpgIMG_0524  1 by phil, on Flickr

5300914493_5fb64c31a1_b.jpgIMG_0525  2 by phil, on Flickr

The body was cnc cut from hardboard ,all the brass bits running boards and paint I did   phil

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Phil. I am surprised that compensation/springing really hasn't made it to our scale yet considering the benefits it has in our scale and the rough track. I might have to further investigate this..

Great stuff Phil. I am surprised that compensation/springing really hasn't made it to our scale yet considering the benefits it has in our scale and the rough track. I might have to further investigate this..

anything I build is compensated ,had too much trouble over the years with uneven  track work . Not everyone is a platelayer .I oil all my axle boxes too every 2 -3 weeks of running, this ensures that it all runs trouble free . Some of the kits you buy the whitemetal axle boxes will not line up due to shrinkage in the mould or the amount of use the mould has sustained in its lifetime .That's why I prefer to do my own thing and use the whitemetal axle boxes as dummies and build compensated chassis  phil

Heres a couple of efforts with my chassis and dummy axle boxes

5304211558_4133b58fb4_b.jpgDSCF0853 by phil, on Flickr

5311657633_0e5d47256f_b.jpgDSCF0863 by phil, on Flickr

5304212436_926c7e9439_z.jpgDSCF0854 by phil, on Flickr

one of these is 32mm the other 45mm

5307722848_0a888361a0_b.jpgDSCF0862 by phil, on Flickr

I'm  still on my roundtuit  to put maybe a makers plate and a few numerals on these wagons but_-----------------__  phil

• Like 1

Great stuff Phil, love the wagon loads. How did you make the cable drums?

the cable drums are made from individual planks cut on my mini saw .Stuck together with pva .   I have no pics of the construction  the two sides of the drums are held together by 10 BA threaded brass bar x4 just like the real thing I like to mimic what I see with my own twist . They are even secured on with a real half hitch like the lorry drivers used to use to secure their loads.

30933396815_1cd705642f_z.jpgIMG_0837 by phil, on Flickr

my minisaw

22766280298_16e16a61d9_z.jpgIMG_0841 by phil, on Flickr 

30643198700_8e504f4544_z.jpgIMG_0842 by phil, on Flickr

these are some including the roof tile pallets I saw of my efforts .  phil

Edited by 77philg
  • Like 2

My main pc has just died took out the separate hard drive too ,cos I'm getting no response from that either S0 I'm on the dreaded lap top . :nono: Why they cant make em steam powered I don't know . more reliable then .What annoys me more is trying to find someone I can trust to see if there is anything they can do ,without ripping me off [been down this route before] just out of warranty too. :drag: Mind you I could always give it a good kickin  or let the wife at it :jester: That is a scary thought the wife armed with a screwdriver :scared: I'm hoping that they can save some of my pics ,hopefully if the hard drives are intact  phil 

My main pc has just died took out the separate hard drive too ,cos I'm getting no response from that either S0 I'm on the dreaded lap top . :nono: Why they cant make em steam powered I don't know . more reliable then .What annoys me more is trying to find someone I can trust to see if there is anything they can do ,without ripping me off [been down this route before] just out of warranty too. :drag: Mind you I could always give it a good kickin  or let the wife at it :jester: That is a scary thought the wife armed with a screwdriver :scared: I'm hoping that they can save some of my pics ,hopefully if the hard drives are intact  phil 

Are you in a rush to get it fixed phil?? my mate do's a good job with 'em but he's just arrived back from down under this morn' and needs a day in bed to recover from the jet lag. I know what you mean about lap tops i have a pig of a time trying to type with these smaller keys on this heap i have to manage with.

Are you in a rush to get it fixed phil?? my mate do's a good job with 'em but he's just arrived back from down under this morn' and needs a day in bed to recover from the jet lag. I know what you mean about lap tops i have a pig of a time trying to type with these smaller keys on this heap i have to manage with.

no rush at mo Bob I normally take time to investigate reputations first phil