'British Rail Scene - the 1970s and early 1980s in photographs' by Andy Sparks

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

A new book of b/w images of the good old days of BR around the regions from Andy Sparks, very evocative 1970s and early 1980s photographs accompanied by thoughtful and personalised descriptions of the depicted scenes.

Just published at £19.95 - I bought mine from the Class Forty Preservation Society, to help a good cause - http://www.cfps.co.uk/sales.htm - signed by the author too!

The CFPS need the dosh - including funds to get upcoming work done on 40145 to keep her on the mainline.

cheers,

Keith

• 2 years later...

The follow on which The Works on flogging off cheap - British Rail Scene Remembered. More Photographs from the 1970s and early 1980s has a couple of obvious errors to me. Firstly regarding the cover photo as repeated on page 54 in that I doubt the Class 45 is heading to Paddington and pretty clearly it would be St Pancras. On the facing page and again at Nottingham Midland the 20s are clearly next to/ under the booking hall and they have come from Skegness rather than going to Skegness; Leicester or Derby, or with a reverse at the latter Burton on Trent would be the destination. Its when you spot errors on captions that makes questioning how accurate others are where you do not know the location well.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I missed the first book, but recently found the second 'Remebered' book at The Works.

There is a very interesting mix of black and white photos. Some odd angles, and unusual views, (which I like), and plenty of human interest. I certainly found the book very nostalgic, though  some of the captions were not my style.

cheers