STL files - Issue

Hey,

I'm trying out a new company for 3D printing and they only accept .stl files for printing. I'm so used to SketchUp and .dae exports and even Shapeways accepting it without any issue.

However I cannot export in .stl from Shapeways, I was told the latest version of SketchUp can do this, so I downloaded the 2017 version and it keeps crashing. So I've uninstalled and reinstalled the older version again.

So I am now stuck, I do have 3DS Max to convert it to a .stl format, but it's much much smaller now, how can I scale it up? NetFabb isn't free anymore and I can't afford to pay for an entire software just to convert a file or two.

Can you'll suggest any other softwares where I can convert from .dae to .stl and then scale up?

• RMweb Premium

Hey,

I'm trying out a new company for 3D printing and they only accept .stl files for printing. I'm so used to SketchUp and .dae exports and even Shapeways accepting it without any issue.

However I cannot export in .stl from Shapeways, I was told the latest version of SketchUp can do this, so I downloaded the 2017 version and it keeps crashing. So I've uninstalled and reinstalled the older version again.

So I am now stuck, I do have 3DS Max to convert it to a .stl format, but it's much much smaller now, how can I scale it up? NetFabb isn't free anymore and I can't afford to pay for an entire software just to convert a file or two.

Can you'll suggest any other softwares where I can convert from .dae to .stl and then scale up?

Have you tried the STL extension for SketchUp http://extensions.sketchup.com/content/sketchup-stl

Al

• RMweb Premium

You can still get the same function as netfabb basic from the latest product. Install the 30 day free trial of the full netfabb product and after the 30 day trial period it will restrict itself to just the basic capabilities.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks guys,

I've installed the extension provided by Al and works well so far. However I've only tested the files on Shapeways. I tried installing NetFabb but I sat 2 hours looking at the screen constantly say initializing until I got fed up and halted the program.

• 3 weeks later...