Unusual loco's used on rail tours over the S&C

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Apart from steam loco's, I'm looking for information on unusual loco's or units that were used on specials or rail tours over the S&C during the late 70's or early 80's.  I've been told that a Class 44 and and several Deltic's appeared prior to their withdrawal, also a HST for promotional filming.  Does anyone have information about any strange workings?

Julian Sprott

There was a tour using a 14 car Hastings DEMU. That was made up of two complete 6-car units plus two extra power cars back to back, to give extra power for the gradients., which meant anyone riding in the two car unit had no toilet access. I'm not sure of the individual unit numbers off-hand - will try to find them for you later, if someone else doesn't beat me to it (hint, hint!).

Edit: it was named "The Long Thin Drag".

2nd edit: the units involved were 6L 1011 and 1032, plus the two power cars from 6S 1001. It ran on 12th April 1986. 1032 was originally a 6B with buffet car but was reformed to became just another 6L well before the railtour took place. Under TOPS, 6S were class 201, 6L were class 202 and 6B were class 203.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There was a tour using a 14 car Hastings DEMU. That was made up of two complete 6-car units plus two extra power cars back to back, to give extra power for the gradients., which meant anyone riding in the two car unit had no toilet access. I'm not sure of the individual unit numbers off-hand - will try to find them for you later, if someone else doesn't beat me to it (hint, hint!).

Any idea when this was as it would be great to model that but in N gauge, I think that's a non starter lol.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

Gee, is the Hastings S&C trip that long ago. I remember going out to photograph it.

Would be nice to have a rerun of it in 2017 - preferably with pick ups in the North West.

I know its technically not within the question but during the 90s several different classes of freight locos were used along with a class 47 for heat on service trains. These included class 25, 2x 26s, 2x 20s, 56, 58 generally with 10 coaches replacing the usual 156s.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Me too!

I also remember going out to photograph a deltic on service trains on the S&C. IIRC, Virgin Trains hired a deltic in on some summer Saturdays to haul one of their services, possibly from Ramsgate. I've some slides of it somewhere.

• RMweb Gold

1981 seems to be the year for specials or weird loco workings as I was just having a quick look through my books and found pictures of 26040 at Ais Gill on the 14th April, a HST (No mention to which set as it could have been a WR, ER or XC set) at Blea Moor in October and 55015 Tulyar at Settle on a excursion from Peterborough on the 5th December 1981.  I think I'll have to get a Graham Farish Deltic and Dapol Class 26 to run on the layout.  Apart from these and the Hastings units, anyone else got any other unusual loco's or workings?

Julian Sprott

Me too!

I also remember going out to photograph a deltic on service trains on the S&C. IIRC, Virgin Trains hired a deltic in on some summer Saturdays to haul one of their services, possibly from Ramsgate. I've some slides of it somewhere.

Aye they did - from Brum [1O99] ?? and I won the "Traction" magazine photo competition they ran for that train too with a photo from the "Great Lines" in Chatham .............................................

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unusual motive power on rail tours seems to be a bit thin on the ground during the late 70s, early 80s.

There were occasional 37s and 26s on pw workings and I think I can remember seeing a photo of a 27 on a trip from Carlisle to Kirkby Thore gypsum sidings. 

Another way to introduce some unusual motive power would be the drags to/from Scottish depots. Apparently 20s were regularly dragged to/from Eastfield Depot and there's a shot of an 84 behind a Class 40 in one of the T G Flinders books.

Alan  

• RMweb Premium

I certainly remember seeing 55002 KOYLI in green in her last BR days on a S&C railtour. It sounded like a low-level aircraft through Stainforth cutting, just north of Settle.

Cheers,

Mick

55 016 Gordon Highlander did the S&C northbound round about 1980, then the G&SW route up towards Glasgow, think it came back down the WCML, but not sure, I was on the tour but it was a while ago!

Found it on the Napier Chronicles

1Zxx Liverpool - Polmadie, "The Deltic Discoverer" LCGB railtour from Leeds (ex 25071 & 25125 - via S&C and Kilmarnock) and 1Zxx Polmadie - Liverpool return to Leeds (via Beattock - 25071 & 25125 forward). After travelling over the GSW route, taking the singled GB&K route north of Kilmarnock, the tour used the Larkfield spur beyond Pollokshields to reach Polmadie where the loco was re-crewed for the run south. A dead stand at Beattock was followed by some vigorous running southwards, around the 90mph mark most of the way to Carlisle, arriving nine minutes early. After re-crewing at Carlisle (with Leeds men) Ais gill was reached in 52 minutes and Skipton in 88.75 minutes for the 86.75 miles, Leeds was reached 27 minutes early where the class 25's were waiting to take over.

Edited by Red Devil

2nd edit: the units involved were 6L 1011 and 1032, plus the two power cars from 6S 1001. It ran on 12th April 1986. 1032 was originally a 6B with buffet car but was reformed to became just another 6L well before the railtour took place. Under TOPS, 6S were class 201, 6L were class 202 and 6B were class 203.

A couple of my photos over here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56232-welcome-to-the-settle-carlisle-route/?p=839129

• Like 1

Me too!

I think it was 2001 that it ran, hired in to cover an engineering diversion, there were also 47s hauling full West Coast sets. Got some film photos, but I don't think I got the Deltic.

ISTR we deliberately rode in a motor coach of 1001 to experience the legendary poor riding characteristics at high speed on non-SR track

Wellwe seem tohave survived moreorless intact.

(Best viewed in HTML, not plain text)

• RMweb Gold

Western Champion has run over the line hauling the Cumbrian Mountain Express, but I am pretty sure another Western ran a special service in the late sixties/early seventies?

I understand some early diesels were tested over the line, but I don't have specifics.

Steve

Didn't a Peak hauled passenger go past during that photo stop ??

What a memory... rummaging around for dog-eared notebooks, my notes say we arrived at Garsdale at 1148, for the photo stop until 1200, and at 1149, 45142 passed on the up with Mk1s.

We did Settle (pass) to Garsdale (stop) in 33 mins: today's fast-ish 0947 from Leeds does Settle (stop) to Garsdale (pass) in 27 mins.

The 40s in the photo were 40009 and 40033, which were added to the tour at Wigan after an 86 from Euston, and they were replaced at Carlisle by a pair of 26s. Sat 7 April 1984.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Late to the party as usual, here's a photo of a 47/2x20 lash up, consisting of 20061, 20093 & 47444 providing heat, on a sunny but cold 25th November 1989. The tour originated in Leeds, and was a simple out & back over the S&C.

47444_20061_20093_Carlisle_25111989_0001

The locos are seen here running round at Carlisle. 47444 only lasted a few more months, being withdrawn in June 1990.

Edited by rodent279

• 1 year later...

There was 26007 to Leeds with iirc 47443, and a 56 with a 47 these were about 1990

27s made it earlier with Glasgow Blackpool specials

DELTIC was ran over the line and reached 106mph! Probably the record on the line for speed!

10100 was trialled also as were Derby Lightweight E50000/56000

50s were actually common until 1975

33207 33202 did a railtour